? Possible Commute

110 mile commute one way...any long commuters? 20,000 yr raise 4 days a week. Should be traffic free in the morning, nightmarish return Phone Post 3.0

That's a pretty shit commute, probably depends on what your pay already was, and 4 days a week ain't bad.

Figure out what you are going to spend in gas, insurance rates, maintenance, etc for the car for the year. Then the time you will spend commuting that you can't do anything but sit in your car for 4 hours a day. For $20k, not sure it would be worth it to me.

Vitor Ruas - 110 mile commute one way...any long commuters? 20,000 yr raise 4 days a week. Should be traffic free in the morning, nightmarish return Phone Post 3.0

I guess it depends on your current lifestyle.

When I turned 30 I was newly married and it was just my wife and I starting out in a new state in a new house. I had a 90 mile commute each way with no traffic, so it was 90 minutes.

It sucked, but it was a good job and I needed it. I was able to suck it up because it was just the 2 of us, but after 6 months my wife got pregnant, so I had to find a new gig.

That was about 12 years ago and I can safely say that I would never do it again.

You're going to spend a minimum of what, 5 hours a day commuting? You're going to kill your vehicle and exhaust yourself.

If this is a temporary thing to raise your salary level while you get another job then I say maybe do it, but I'd seriously recommend that you don't plan on doing it for more than a year.

move closer

I'm check to check...majority of increase would go to gas, great title and same company. Could transfer closer in 6-12 months with more pay. Phone Post 3.0

That ride will get very old real quick.

46.5 miles one way.

Willie Makitt - That ride will get very old real quick.
That's what I'm afraid of...have a 25 mi commute that takes about an hr, but I would miss rush hr in the mornings. Phone Post 3.0

billyball2 -
Vitor Ruas - 110 mile commute one way...any long commuters? 20,000 yr raise 4 days a week. Should be traffic free in the morning, nightmarish return Phone Post 3.0

I guess it depends on your current lifestyle.

When I turned 30 I was newly married and it was just my wife and I starting out in a new state in a new house. I had a 90 mile commute each way with no traffic, so it was 90 minutes.

It sucked, but it was a good job and I needed it. I was able to suck it up because it was just the 2 of us, but after 6 months my wife got pregnant, so I had to find a new gig.

That was about 12 years ago and I can safely say that I would never do it again.

You're going to spend a minimum of what, 5 hours a day commuting? You're going to kill your vehicle and exhaust yourself.

If this is a temporary thing to raise your salary level while you get another job then I say maybe do it, but I'd seriously recommend that you don't plan on doing it for more than a year.
Thanks man...was it doable? Have a family figured I would see them less m/th but could make wife coffee/kids breakfast and take them to school on fri Phone Post 3.0

I have a 17 mile commute and it sucks balls at 25 minutes. I would murder someone just to go to jail to get out of the rat race if I had a 110 mile commute in nightmare traffic. Phone Post 3.0

I'm 47 miles one way now in Atlanta. I spend an additional 3 hours a day just driving. Sucks. Phone Post 3.0

your raise will be nullified by your vehicle costs. i know a guy who drives 4.5 hours a day in good weather... which we only get about 4-5 months of in alberta. i couldn't do it.

I did 50 miles each way and it sucked. Getting there in the morning wasn't bad but coming home I was fighting horrible Seattle traffic and it could easily turn into a 2.5 hour drive in the evening.

I was making pretty good money and didn't have other responsibilities like kids so it was doable. Wouldn't attempt if I was trying to be a family man, though. Too much unpredictability.

Had an 80 mile/2 hour commute for approx 2 years, sucked balls and we ended up moving closer since it was a good position. I remember grabbing a hotel once in a while just for a mental break from traffic. I don't think I could do it again. Phone Post

Get a cheap studio apartment to stay in 3 nights a week or rent a room out. Save your car, save the extra money and transfer in a year or so. I once did a 70 mile commute for a year and a half. It sucked balls. Phone Post 3.0

If it's only 6-12 mo I'd probably sack up n do it if it will put you that far ahead.

I've done a 75 plus mi one way commute for 6mo before. It sucks but it was worth it at the time and I'd do it again if it was worth it.

Used to drive a hour and a half one way to train 3-4x a week too. Audio books, podcasts, and the like are your friends.

Disclaimer- I don't have kids n I love to drive. Phone Post 3.0

Is moving not an option? Phone Post 3.0

Unless it's a bunch of traffic I would worry about wear on the car. Long commutes really aren't that hard on them. Short tripping is much worse as heat cycling is what hurts engine and transmission parts. As long as you do proper maintenance the effect on the car will probable be minimal. Phone Post 3.0

I wouldn't do it. I once took a $10k pay cut to eliminate a 70 mile (round trip) commute, and had no regrets.