Possible lay off coming ...

For the first time in my career I’m in fear of getting laid off.  We have been going after these big projects and we’re getting none of them.  I have remained billable most of the year until now, something that several other in my dept cannot claim.  But we are running low on people and potential work, so unless something changes in Sept, I’m not sure I’ll have a job by Halloween.

I just got looking to see what’s out there and I think I may have to make an industry jump, which I’m ok with since I’m in the power industry and it’s all old technology that bores me when I really think about it.  I figure if I’m ahead of the curve and leave before they lay anyone off that would be good for me and my coworkers (maybe someone can stay if I leave).

I’ve only worked at 2 companies and have been in the work force for 11 years and survived 4 different layoffs.  I’m pretty specialized which is good and bad, good because I’m valuable and not easily replaceable, bad because other jobs are limited and I’m expensive.

It’s a shitty feeling regardless.  How do you guys in industries with lots of layoffs get by?  Contract workers too … shit is stressful!

Vote down!!!!

Mwahahahahhahaha!!!! Phone Post 3.0

Damnit. I already voted. That kinda takes the fun out of it Phone Post 3.0

Good luck... sucks to be on the job hunt

we just had a huge layoff/firing two weeks ago, cut the new hires that were washing out and some of the seasoned people that were getting lazy(most seasoned peeps were given the option of demotion)

we all knew it was coming because upper management actually told us

i'm used to it, happens every year in my company

My director gave us one bit of advice that stuck, "be better than the person next to you"... seems prickish but it's true

Good luck broseph, I got laid off a few years ago from my job as a "team leader" in a factory. I used it as an opportunity to go back to school and do something with myself. Sounds like you've already got a decent career so I don't think our paths were extremely similar, but I will just say that one thing I learned is that it's best to look at things like this as opportunities.

You'll be okay, you're a hard working intelligent dude so things will turn out for you, just stick with it!

MrFluffyHippo - Vote down!!!!

Voted down for being a nancy boy Phone Post 3.0

Oppsicrappedmypants -
MrFluffyHippo - Vote down!!!!

Voted down for being a nancy boy Phone Post 3.0
If I apologize can I have my vote back? Phone Post 3.0

I feel your pain my friend. The past two companies I have worked for constantly got underbid and lost out on jobs. I have fallen to the axe of layoffs twice and it truly blows. Hope you land on your feet.

To clattymine

I would say try to make very good friends/contacts with people in high places. Meaning your boss and your bosses boss. If your company does work for other people/businesses find out the owners of those and get in good with them. Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - To clattymine

I would say try to make very good friends/contacts with people in high places. Meaning your boss and your bosses boss. If your company does work for other people/businesses find out the owners of those and get in good with them. Phone Post 3.0
In others words, be a brownoser and get the knee pads out. Phone Post 3.0

Best of luck out there...shitty job market but it sounds like you are motivated and ready for change anyways. Phone Post 3.0

Just got laid off yesterday. Nothing I could have done about it. Phone Post 3.0