Possible solution to welfare/unemployment

rcombs - 
MOAOZINHO - 
rcombs - There are a lot of threads on here all the time about the frustration of people milking the system on welfare and unemployment, well has anyone ever brought up this point?

LEGIT QUESTION: For single mom's on welfare (in this example, where the kids aren't babies and are school age) - What do the moms do all day while the kids are in school? From 7 or 8 in the morning until 3:30 the kids are in school. Therefore, why can't they be required to do some sort of work? Not a real job but at least do some government required job of SOMETHING.

Same question goes to people on unemployment, I don't understand how you can literally get paid to do NOTHING. If the tax payer is paying you, why can't there be a program where people on unemployment are required to go do yard work for people in the spring and summer months? Or go pick up trash off the highways? It doesn't have to be trash picking, but surely there is something you can provide back to the city and society as a whole while you are getting paid. Am I right or am I right?

First off, welfare is not the same thing as unemployment. I don't care that you don't care what it's called. It is absurd to treat the two as equals. This is not just a semantic argument.

You PAY INTO your unemployment benefits when you are working. You don't have to pay into anything to receive welfare, so long as you are below a minimum threshold of income.

In regards to your suggestion, you are minimizing the administrative costs of "finding something for these people to do." You gave the mowing lawn suggestion several times. Besides being silly, how would this suggestion be implemented? Who's lawn would have to be serviced? Why should it be Bob's lawn, and not Ian's? You are acting as if the task of creating such a job is trivial and easily able to be integrated.

I got you I get that. But with how long unemployment benefits have been extended to, I think if you stay on it for what the max is (what is it like 18 months or something?), then you are far outweighing how much you put into it.

depends how long you've been paying in. no doubt i could collect for 18 months and they'd still be net positive on me.

After watching "The Purge", I think that is the only solution for this country.

yopu really don't pay shit into unemployment your employers do and they take almost nothing from you when compaired to what we pay in.

rcombs - There are a lot of threads on here all the time about the frustration of people milking the system on welfare and unemployment, well has anyone ever brought up this point?

LEGIT QUESTION: For single mom's on welfare (in this example, where the kids aren't babies and are school age) - What do the moms do all day while the kids are in school? From 7 or 8 in the morning until 3:30 the kids are in school. Therefore, why can't they be required to do some sort of work? Not a real job but at least do some government required job of SOMETHING.

Same question goes to people on unemployment, I don't understand how you can literally get paid to do NOTHING. If the tax payer is paying you, why can't there be a program where people on unemployment are required to go do yard work for people in the spring and summer months? Or go pick up trash off the highways? It doesn't have to be trash picking, but surely there is something you can provide back to the city and society as a whole while you are getting paid. Am I right or am I right?

What do you say to someone who owns a lawn service and charges $30/week to mow lawns when he gets calls from his customers that unemployed or welfare recipients are going to come do it for free so he's no longer needed? You've now got another unemployed person out there.

I think the welfare recipients should be required to go to the local library and read/read/read to better themselves in order to get real productive jobs.