Pot(weed) actually does help fight against MRSA!!

Pot Compounds Reduce Multi-Drug Resistant Infections, Study Says Cannabinoids Show "Exceptional" Antibacterial Activity Against MRSA

Novara, Italy: The administration of natural plant cannabinoids can significantly reduce the spread of drug-resistant bacteria, including methicillin-resistant Staphyloccus aureus (aka MRSA), according to preclinical data to be published in the Journal of Natural Products.

Investigators at Italy's Universita del Piemonte Orientale and Britain's University of London, School of Pharmacy assessed the antibacterial properties of five cannabinoids - THC, CBD (cannabidiol), CBG (cannabigerol), CBC (cannabichromine), and CBN (cannabinol) - against various strains of multidrug-resistant bacteria, including MRSA.

"All compounds showed potent antibacterial activity," authors determined. Researchers noted that cannabinoids showed "exceptional" antibacterial activity against EMERSA-15 and EMERSA-16, the major epidemic MRSA strains occurring in UK hospitals.

Authors concluded: "Although the use of cannabinoids as systemic antibacterial agents awaits rigorous clinical trials, . their topical application to reduce skin colonization by MRSA seems promising. . Cannabis sativa . represents an interesting source of antibacterial agents to address the problem of multidrug resistance in MRSA and other pathogenic bacteria."

According to a 2007 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, MRSA is responsible for more than 18,500 hospital-stay related deaths each year.

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director. Full text of the study, "Antibacterial cannabinoids from cannabis sativa: A structure-activity study," will appear in the Journal of Natural Products.

I thought this wa interesting since everytime I read a MRSA post I say "smoke some pot"....I was actually medicaly correct!

Hojak.......toke on!!!! It's good for ya'!!!

ttt

Eddie Bravo, have you ever had Staph?

That's a good question!! He is an expert toker and grappler!!

TalkShowOnMute - Eddie Bravo, have you ever had Staph?

TTT
For Eddie Bravo, Joe Rogan, and all of the toker-grapplers!

I just got over MRSA and let's just say I appreciate the green quite a bit, so I am pretty sure they don't mean smoking it provides the protection otherwise I'd be MRSA proof!  

It sounds like they are saying the its use on the skin helps reduce the MRSA bacteria. 

on AB's for MRSA at the moment... got about 2 1/2 weeks of antibiotics left. no major complications and caught it early.

So these guys are telling me if I didn't quit smoking pot last year I wouldn't have gotten the infection? LOL.

i think its safe to say i could not get staph for at least the next 5 years :)

That's what they're saying but i'm sure smoking helps as well....at least for the discomfort but it could help in prevention.

Ryan Williams -  I just got over MRSA and let's just say I appreciate the green quite a bit, so I am pretty sure they don't mean smoking it provides the protection otherwise I'd be MRSA proof!  

It sounds like they are saying the its use on the skin helps reduce the MRSA bacteria. 

This is why pot should be legal and I quit vaporizing/bong tokes over a year ago (got a frickin' DUI....alcohol not pot) but still favor legalization because pot is an herb.....BUSH (George) is a dope!

I have a t-shirt that says that^^^^(Pot is an herb..Bush is a dope....it was directed at senior not jr.) which I bought at hempfest 3 in Seattle.

LEGALIZE it!!

I have a t-shirt that says that^^^^(Pot is an herb..Bush is a dope....it was directed at senior not jr.) which I bought at hempfest 3 in Seattle.

LEGALIZE it!!

OMG, you are just too cool for school.

thats what the teachers said!!!

That must be a canadian saying....I think I heard that in B.C.!!

Steamfitter - 

LEGALIZE it!!

OMG, you are just too cool for school.

Ryan Williams -  I just got over MRSA and let's just say I appreciate the green quite a bit, so I am pretty sure they don't mean smoking it provides the protection otherwise I'd be MRSA proof!  

dont f this with up facts,im sure you have to smoke it

My bad. I meant to say that by ingesting it through either the lungs or stomach cannabis should fight the infection from inside and allow your body to deal with the infection naturally without the aid of damaging antibiotic drugs. It only makes sense. 

oh yeah,

Smoke weed everyday. It's for your health and those around you. 

I wonder if there is more MRSA cases in the mid west than in the pacific northwest, hhhmmmmmmm...... :)

For sure no pot is smoked while taping TUF, I wonder if staph has ever been a problem on the show.