POUND-FOR-POUND RANKINGS for APRIL

BRADDAH SHANO'S PANKRATION/MMA ~ WORLD RANKINGS

TOP TEN POUND-FOR-POUND (For APRIL 2004)

1. BJ Penn

2. Wanderlei Silva

3. Fedor Emelianenko

4. Rodrigo Nogueira

5. Dan Henderson

6. Mirko Filipovic

7. Alexandre Nogueira

8. Matt Hughes

9. Randy Couture

10. Josh Barnett

thats a pretty correct list, except for cro cop

Shaolin ?

Pequeno ?

I would say top three Penn, Hendo, Hughes.

Pequeno is #7

yeah sorry read too fast :-)

i have Randy on the list because i think he's an extremely good fighter that has done some amazing things but...i dont see that he's good enough to go higher...if can win back his title in astonsihing fashion then yes, i can see moving him up

"Barnett just beats up on 190 lb Japanese guys, he should not be on this list"

you obvioulsy havent seen all of his fights

It makes sense. Matt Hughes was the universally regarded #1 pound for pound, and not only did BJ beat him convincingly, but he moved up a weight class to do it.

I've never been a fan of the common thinking that "pound for pound" means "best littler fighter", so I think this is a good list.

Because Dan weighs in at 201 and fights guys who weigh in at 205 doesn't make him the best p4p. Fedor has never lost, aside from a cut stoppage; how can you argue with that?

Hughes goes from 1 to 8 because of one quick loss? It's not like he got beatdown for 25 min.

"Hughes goes from 1 to 8 because of one quick loss? It's not like he got beatdown for 25 min."

it's the POUND-FOR-POUND rankings, not the Welterweight rankings.

What has Hughes done outside of his weight-class!?

for this reason i'd like to drop some of the other fighters too...only their talent shows that they're exceptional and they'd undoubtedly do well against opponents nearly twice their size

too many people think PFP is just for who THEY think is a great fighter...it's not...PFP is for fighters that have proved themselves exceptional at their own weight-class...and many of them, at higher weight-classes

When you think of the greatest boxer that ever lived many have Sugar Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong at the top of their lists as the top PFP fighters

they fought and won titles at their own weight AND at other weights...Armstrong actually held 3 titles at 3 diff weights...simutanously!

so dont get all flustered just because you dont see your favorite fighter staying at the top...or even listed

BJ Penn just may become the next Henry Armstrong or Sugar Ray Robinson of MMA

Hughes just got his @$$ handed to him by a lightweight-turned-welterweight, and you get your panties all in a bunch because i dropped him down to #8...lol

your lucky i didnt just drop him altogether

btw...if ninja wins the next PRIDE GP you can bet your @$$ Hughes will be dropped!

now dont go saying i dont respect Hughes...i do...as a fighter AND as a person...but, i dont think he is top 5 PFP

why is randy so low he should be the champ at the toughest division in the world? He has been the champ at more than one division. Bj penn couldn't beat uno for the light weight division...I disagree with the list

When did Henderson ever weigh in over 200? He weighed 193 against Mino giving up 40 lbs.The highest i ahve seen him weigh in Pride was 195.

The technical term for this list is "ad hoc". Its utterly subjective, no evaluative norms, and no causal underpinning whatsoever. Translation: Valueless.

Any fan who's seen a couple thousand fights could generate a list this good off the top of his head in seconds. For example, why isn't the 185 Sak on here? I could rip this apart but its not worth the time. Worse than his other "rankings" - kid stuff.

"When did Henderson ever weigh in over 200? He weighed 193 against Mino giving up 40 lbs.The highest i ahve seen him weigh in Pride was 195."

thanks for making my point!

"The technical term for this list is "ad hoc". Its utterly subjective, no evaluative norms, and no causal underpinning whatsoever. Translation: Valueless.
Any fan who's seen a couple thousand fights could generate a list this good off the top of his head in seconds. For example, why isn't the 185 Sak on here? I could rip this apart but its not worth the time. Worse than his other "rankings" - kid stuff."

let's see your vastly superior rankings then wiseguy

"Hughes goes from 1 to 8 because of one quick loss? It's not like he got beatdown for 25 min." No offense NHB26, but he didnt even last long enough to get beat down.

BJ is number one? WTF? For one fight? LOL!