Power can be learnt...Chuck..

Everyone goes on about chucks heavy hands and yes he certainly has heavy hands and knows how to use them (ouch). However no1 mentions that he didnt have them when he first joined the UFC. For eg vs Noe Hernandez and vs Horn even vs Paul Jones.

Now i am NOT saying he wasnt a good fighter back then, just that Noe had alot more power than him and he didnt have NEARLY the power he has now. So to say it cant be learnt, well Chuck is a great example of someone who has developed it.

LEMon: Noe was a local guy and people said he had retardedly heavy hands and a great chin too...

Another possibly great fighter who just ran into a champ for their debut.

Natural ability is important, but you can increase your punching power tremendously with proper technique.  

Sam Pai has spoken and he can hit harder than Mike Tyson!

most guys who can hit hard learn to do so...

Very few have effective, damaging strikes inherently...

man I'd love to train at th epit for a while to learn.. scratch that get some technique with power

you can sharpen technique but for the most part power is something youre born with

Its important to point out that the biggest power puncher in the world wouldnt be able to use that if he didnt develop solid td defense...

u can learn power, motion and reps ...

I feel Noe coulda won that fight personally, Chuck is a badass though and its one of my favourite fights. Chuck was pretty skilled back then though, i wonder what the diff was in training that made him get the sort of power he has today.

"tremendously??? slightly is more like it."

Not quite.

The speed may look about the same, but someone throwing arm punches (which comes natural) will always be at a severe disadvantage to someone that can punch with their full body behind it. (a learned skill.)

"tremendously??? slightly is more like it."

Notice SPK said "with proper technique", so you have to figure he means the puncher is using improper technique. Give a trainer a guy with naturally heavy hands that throws with improper technique and the power in his punches will increase tremendously.

"Just like some people can throw a 100 mile per hour fastball and some people can't and never will no matter how much they tweak their technique and mechanics."

100% correct

The reason why Chuck hits hard is intent..
He is 100% committed to doing damage.. just watch his face when he is
moving around the ring...
His awareness is continually feeling for the KO....

A very underestimated factor when talking about functional power...