Power Clean and its Variations

Hey guys,

I ask for some clarification. I've been doing the Clean and Press movement and the Clean and Front Squat movement. Someone told me today that I was doing the Clean wrong. I cross refrenced a lot of vids and I seem to see two variations of a Power Clean.

The one i was doing, is where you clean the weight to ur chest without squatting down to catch it. From there I would go to a Press or Front Squat and it matches video clips that i saw.

I also see a power clean that clean the weight but then you squat under it to catch it so you are basically doing a squat.

Heing Kong posted a video clip once on the Power Clean and he did two variations that I mentioned above. Which is the correct one to do? Or the correct one to do with a press and front squat. Thanks.

The first is the clean and press, the second is the clean and jerk. The clean and press is no longer an olympic event, but great for training

A traditional Clean involves catching it in the full squat position. This is the "Clean" part of the Clean and Jerk as in Olympic weightlifting.

A Power Clean involves catching it with only minimal knee dip although the actual degree of dip varies by individual.

Oh ok- so I am doing it right then. Any more thoughts? HK?

Get a coach. I'm of the belief that the olympic lifts and most of their variations are unsafe without a qualified coach. Especially the power versions because it is too easy to get into the habit of pulling with the arms, which when the weights get heavy could cause the bar to pull you forward. Starting from the ground is also bad without a coach because it is hard to master the transition from first to second pull. For strength and conditioning purposes you can avoid these problems and get most of the benefits by starting with the bar just above the knees, keeping the arms straight through the entire movement, and not racking the bar.

pancho_m has kicked the correct in touch!

"The one i was doing, is where you clean the weight to ur chest without squatting down to catch it. From there I would go to a Press or Front Squat and it matches video clips that i saw."

That there is a PowerClean. with Press or Front Squat.

I also see a power clean that clean the weight but then you squat under it to catch it so you are basically doing a squat.

If you squat under to catch it that is a normal 'Clean'.

That video was this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/Power%20Clean%20demo.wmv

It if goes to chest with a small dip it is a PowerClean.  If you go under and and squat up to end in the 'finish' position to get ready to jerk the weight that is a Clean.

Technique is key.

It is hard for beginners to get the movement of the first pull correct to thighs.  And a lot of other things.  A coach or a knowledgable person is a MUST.  When the weights get heavy 200lbs+ you will struggle with sloppy form.

Koing

Thanks a lot guys. That clears it up a lot. Could you do a press or a front squat after a normal "clean"? Or is it just usually done after a Power Clean. When the exercise states:

Clean & Press
Clean & Front Squat

I have been doing a POWER clean followed by the two additional exercises. Just want to clarify that. Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate it.

Doesn't matter. 

Just do it if you want.  Some lifters do a full clean then another front squat befor a Jerk at times.  For a bit of a mix up.  Makes the Jerk a boat load harder!

You could do a  normal clean then do a press or a front squat after the clean.  Makes no difference.  Just an exercise to do

Koing