Power Punching by Sonny Liston

Dude had some serious power

Long arms, big and heavy hands.  Great at planting his feet, great sense of where his weight was, excellent and almost fearless turn on his hips/shoulders no matter what the punching angle was.

Hes a Power punching clinic.

That was a great post thanks

CavemanDave -

Long arms, big and heavy hands.  Great at planting his feet, great sense of where his weight was, excellent and almost fearless turn on his hips/shoulders no matter what the punching angle was.

Hes a Power punching clinic.

Agreed sonny & George Foreman are my two favorite Power punchers

i agree and i'd add that you can argue chuvalo is there as well. the prettiest heavy weight tech i've seen is from joe louis imo.

Later

Sub

Scary dude.  Very cool version of House Of The Rising Sun in that video too.

Thanks for posting!! Only really know Liston by name but it's obvious he was a scary man.

did george foreman say he fought sonny?

stevosmith - did george foreman say he fought sonny?

No, George sparred him frequently when he was younger.  Much like a young Larry Holmes was one of Ali's sparring partners. 

Sub for later

Would you like to fight him again?

Fighter: oh! Ah no.

https://youtu.be/Hb2WFHhXDyw&lt;br /><br />

While Liston publicly denied taking a dive, Sports Illustrated writer Mark Kram said that years later Liston told him, "That guy [Ali] was crazy. I didn't want anything to do with him. And the Muslims were coming up. Who needed that? So I went down. I wasn't hit."[52] The fact that Liston didn't complain about the clear breach of boxing rules (being declared knocked out without a count) and Ali's obvious state of bewilderment, shouting at Liston "Nobody will believe this" and asking his handlers "Did I hit him?" confirmed most people's belief that Liston took a dive.[53] There have been a number of unproven theories as to the background to the purported dive including that Liston was threatened by the Muslims, or agreed to lose in return for a share in the more marketable Ali's future purses.[54]

Good athlete, but certainly a tragic figure. Dude was literally owned by Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo.

I always like to know how these guys would do when facing modern angles developed in MMA

The matrix stuff

In

He's one of the baddest dudes I've ever seen. He had Floyd Patterson scared to death and Patterson was a great fighter.