PPL called Pride a freakshow, look at UFC ! !

Tank vs. Kimo

Tank vs. Mir

Brock Lesnar getting a title shot after two fights, one which he was submitted in the first round!

If anything, UFC is just as guilty as putting on 'crowd pleasers' instead of legit match ups.

just as guilty?

Pride Fighting Circus' list of freak show exhibits is a mile long.

kimbo slice is a freakshow

Has a UFC champion ever fought at the weight at which he's champion, and NOT had the title on the line? Other than when one guy fails to make weight (Riggs, Lutter), I can't think of any.

In Pride, the champions literally had more non-title fights than fights where the title was at stake.

orcus -  Has a UFC champion ever fought at the weight at which he's champion, and NOT had the title on the line? Other than when one guy fails to make weight (Riggs, Lutter), I can't think of any.

In Pride, the champions literally had more non-title fights than fights where the title was at stake.

In some instances I hate when Pride di dthat.

But in other instances it makes sense when they throw someone in there who hasnt earned the title shot

Brock was a legit contender with a legit background in a combat art.

What is Giant Silva's expertise?

Pride had a fucking actor fight....

Shut Up -

UFC had a fucking pro wrassler fight...

Shut Up -

CAFattack - Tank vs. Kimo

Tank vs. Mir

Brock Lesnar getting a title shot after two fights, one which he was submitted in the first round!

If anything, UFC is just as guilty as putting on 'crowd pleasers' instead of legit match ups.

that's all you got?

no wonder casey affleck called kirik and made him change your name.

orcus -  Has a UFC champion ever fought at the weight at which he's champion, and NOT had the title on the line? Other than when one guy fails to make weight (Riggs, Lutter), I can't think of any.

Many of those fights were part of a tournament, where putting the title on the line didn't make sense because they were vying for a GP championship.

Tournaments are still the competitive hallmark of the sport.

But the new fans don't realize that Mad Xyientist.

CAFattack - UFC had a fucking pro wrassler fight...

Shut Up -

LOL this is fun.

PRIDE had a fucking pro wrassler in a luche mask fight one of the top ranked heavyweights for shits and giggles...

Shut Up

CAFattack - UFC had a fucking pro wrassler fight...

Shut Up -

So what was Sakuraba before he fought for PRIDE?

Redo this thread when the UFC has fighters in wrestling masks doing their thing inside the cage.

i dont think Fish-O-Barrel means what you think it means.

MX - 

I can name a lot of non-title fights in Pride that weren't GP's  -

Fedor vs. Goodridge, TK, Zulu, Coleman II (not sure about Fujita)

Wanderlei has too many to name -

Gomi had 2 non tournament losses and he kept the title -

That kinda shit is unacceptable -

" Many of those fights were part of a tournament, where putting the title on the line didn't make sense because they were vying for a GP championship."

The obvious answer to that would be that it is stupid to have the champ in the tournament, since he is already the champ; the tournament should determine who gets to fight the champ. I'd also say that the merry-go-round of tournaments itself was further evidence of spectacle over competition, since a tournament is a poor way to determine who "the best" is, but is a great marketing tool to ensure future buys/attendance.

But in any case, many were NOT part of a tournament.

Nogueira had four Pride fights after winning the belt against Herring, and all four were non-title; none were in a tournament. He lost the title to Fedor in his first defense.

Gomi had one title defense in his entire Pride career, against a guy who had already choked him unconscious in a minute. After winning the title in a tournament, he never fought in a tournament again.

In Wanderlei's 19 fights after becoming champion, he had only five fights where the belt was on the line; two were to Kanehara and Tamura, and one was to Arona who had already beaten him.

In Fedor's 12 Pride fights after first beating Nogueira, he defended the title three times, one against Hunt who had just been submitted in 30 seconds in his previous fight. He only had four tournament fights.

Henderson had no title defenses.

Mad Xyientist - 

Many of those fights were part of a tournament, where putting the title on the line didn't make sense because they were vying for a GP championship.

Tournaments are still the competitive hallmark of the sport.

As fun as tournaments are to watch, they do nothing for legitimizing the sport. I know we hate boxing comparisons, but you would never see top of the line boxers fight more than once in a single night, or any contact sport for that matter. Plus, it always leaves questions of whether or not both fighters were at their full potential.

CAFattack - Tank vs. Kimo

Tank vs. Mir

maybe if u knew ur history youd know how many fights couture had before he got the heavyweight belt the first time....im not even gonna tell you ill just let u find out and feel dumb

Gullivers Travels - but you would never see top of the line boxers fight more than once in a single night, or any contact sport for that matter.

Is this a joke?  There's this small little kickboxing promotion called "K1" that puts on some of the biggest combat sports events on the planet.  K1 World Grand Prix champions win 3 bouts in a night.  I'm pretty sure that's a contact sport.  In fact, its pretty much a requirement in kickboxing to be win multiple bouts in one night to ever be called "great"

Wrestling and grappling tournaments also have multiple bouts in a day.

Sounds like you're a real "contact sport" aficionado.