Prearranged Fights

I understand that it allows for promotion and planning, but are we losing something when someone has the ability to study and prepare for an opponent for months? I just think it would be a truer test of fighting skill if you would have to react to an opponent you have never studied.

i 've thought about that too. Also with same day weigh ins. I wonder how much both of those factors would change things, would brawlers be more effective than the "smarter" more strategical fighters?

it'd be cool to see a big promotion try all that out.

Studying a fighter in advance and allowing for specific training allows the sport to grow.

Same Day Weighins are dangerous to the fighter.

jkennedy - Studying a fighter in advance and allowing for specific training allows the sport to grow.

the first part may be right

but, the idea of same day weigh ins is too eliminate the big weight cut. For fighters to come in at their more natural weight. Kinda like amateur wrestling were they cut an average of 5-10 lbs. If any weight at all. So you have fighters naturally at 185 and not 210 cutting down to 185.

I'm not saying this should be new rules forever, but it would be interesting to see how both those factors would affect things if strikeforce or bellator tried those out for one event.

Administrator - 
jkennedy - Studying a fighter in advance and allowing for specific training allows the sport to grow.

the first part may be right

but, the idea of same day weigh ins is too eliminate the big weight cut. For fighters to come in at their more natural weight. Kinda like amateur wrestling were they cut an average of 5-10 lbs. If any weight at all. So you have fighters naturally at 185 and not 210 cutting down to 185.

I'm not saying this should be new rules forever, but it would be interesting to see how both those factors would affect things if strikeforce or bellator tried those out for one event.

The problem is fully managing a day of weigh in. No athletic commission would ever take that on themselves and no promoter would want to be responsible for this. If there is no one managing the process then you will end up with the issues they have at large wrestling tournaments (kidney failure, death etc...). Add in the fact that large weight cuts mean a drop in CSF and you have a recipe for disaster.

Sorry just won't happen purely from a fighter safety standpoint.

Our local promotion had a "wild card" tournament last year, eight featherweights, the brackets were filled at random and the fighters did not know who their opponent would be until the day of the weigh ins. It worked out very well.

From a business perspective, how could you sell a fight with out announcing fights? Phone Post

RyannVonDoom - but the endocrine damage long term isn't a safety issue?

I'll be the last one to tell you that any weight cutting is healthy but the fact remains that it happens and is someone documented and trackable. Force it underground and good luck at even having a remote idea of what is going on and how people are doing it.

iamblake - From a business perspective, how could you sell a fight with out announcing fights?

u couldnt effectively sell them, thats why it'll never happen.

jkennedy - The problem is fully managing a day of weigh in. No athletic commission would ever take that on themselves and no promoter would want to be responsible for this. If there is no one managing the process then you will end up with the issues they have at large wrestling tournaments (kidney failure, death etc...). Add in the fact that large weight cuts mean a drop in CSF and you have a recipe for disaster.

Sorry just won't happen purely from a fighter safety standpoint.

they should keep the current weigh in system,

but you obviously dont undertand the concept, if you tell fighters weigh ins r to be an hour before fights from now on, they are gonna move up weight classes nearest their natural training weight to so they cut very little to no weight at all so they have their endurance and energy in fights. some fighters might still attempt somewhat large cuts but they'd realize it'd be pointless and a lot of fighters today already cut a dangerous amount of weight in dangerous methods also. they could even implement a body fat % testing and rule like in wrestling.

once again, I'm not saying they should switch to that, the current system i think is the best option. its just a hypothetical situation where we r pondering how the landscape of the best MMA fighters would change.

Administrator - they should keep the current weigh in system,

but you obviously dont undertand the concept, if you tell fighters weigh ins r to be an hour before fights from now on, they are gonna move up weight classes nearest their natural training weight to so they cut very little to no weight at all so they have their endurance and energy in fights. some fighters might still attempt somewhat large cuts but they'd realize it'd be pointless and a lot of fighters today already cut a dangerous amount of weight in dangerous methods also. they could even implement a body fat % testing and rule like in wrestling.

once again, I'm not saying they should switch to that, the current system i think is the best option. its just a hypothetical situation where we r pondering how the landscape of the best MMA fighters would change.

Who would own this?