Pressure Point Trianlge Escape.

I saw Sovann's Pressure Point Mount Escape, and wanted
to share this story.
I had a small school a few years back in Hermosa
Beach, CA. There was a 6th degree Kenpo instructor
who lived nearby who I would happen to run across from
time to time. He claimed to also be well-versed in a
variety of other arts, including BJJ. One night he
dropped in my school as I was teaching the triangle.

I was working with two of the newer students to go
through the details with them when I glanced over to
another pair. To my surprise, the Kenpo instructor
had walked out onto the mat and seemed to be coaching
my students. Okay, no big deal if he can help them.

I went over and asked if everything was alright. He
looked up at me with a gleam in his eye as he
pronounced "The triangle doesn't work". My students
were a little shocked, as was I. He went on. "All
you have to do is pinch him in the thigh and he will
let go." I don't know about you, but that took some
nerve to come onto the mat univited and tell my
students that the technique I was teaching didn't
work. I kept my cool and politely told him our
policy. I said "That is an interesting idea. In my
school we do things scientifically. If we come up
with a new technique, we test it under real
conditions. So why don't you go ahead and do the
counter so that I can feel the effects." He was a
little shocked. I guess he didn't want to hurt me,
but he agreed. He let me put the triangle all the way
on. I told him to pinch as hard as he could, to do
whatever he wanted. He pinched hard, I pulled his
head and squeezed hard. A couple seconds went by, he
turned red, then I realized that he didn't know how to
tap! I let go, he stumbled back and said (surprised)
"I almost went out." I never saw him again.

asswad got what he deserved.  he shouldnt come in and try and steal your business.

hahaha

There is a pressure point escape for the rear naked choke that works about 85-90% of the time. I have used it to get out of the hold, it does not work on me. Basicly it just using the fingers of your hand (pulling down with your whole arm) digging into the forearm that is wrapped under your chin. The spot is just below the elbow between the two muscles (I don't know the names) that will be topmost on the forearm. It is VERY scientific, the ulnar nerve is vulnerable at that spot, and the majority of people will get a burning electroshock type of effect out of it and release the hold. Some people like myself just get a dull but significant pain, but not enought to get the hold released. In fact it usually bothers me the next day as a sore forearm if someone really digs it in and holds it. I'm not bullshitting, try it out. Or just go to an anatomy website and see where the nerve runs in that area and you'll see what I am talking about.

It has seemed to work on 85-90% of the people I tried it on, never used it in a real fight (since its best to avoid letting some one get that hold on you!), so I don't know how adrenalin effects the usefulness. My description of the location could have been more accurate, its more the outside of the forearm when postioned for the choke than the top, but you are pulling down between the muscles and into the nerve pressing it to the bone.

This picture would demonstrate a bit if someone wants to post it:
http://www.orthogastonia.com/patient_ed/images/elbow/
elbow_cubital_tunnel/elbow_cubtun_surgery01.jpg

edit- you need to take the space out of the url after ".../elbow/", I put it there to neaten up the post.

With my knowledge of the "oil-check" pressure point triangle escape, I can sleep easy knowing I will never be triangled for the rest of my life.

Thanks JHR.

The yellow is the ulnar nerve, the muscle to the left is the outer upper arm. The space between two of the forearm muscles (not shown of course) is your access to the nerve. In fact the harder the opponent squeezes, the more defined the muscles, the easier it is to feel your way to the gap. I can usually find it immediately. It is the same nerve that you bang when you hit your "funny bone".

Hmm...not to sound like a skeptic, bhamill, but I don't think I would let go of a rear choke if we were really going at it, and you squeezed a nerve on my forearm. I've had plenty of people go after pressure points while we've been wrestling or training MMA, and with adrenaline going, all it does is cause annoyance - and if we were just rolling, ruin what was up until that moment a friendly roll.

Have you let someone sink a rear choke on you and then used this technique to successfully, repeatedly escape while they were attempting to put you out? If so, maybe this is something we should look into. If not, I think further research is required.

In a related story, when I was young and hot-headed, I had someone (with a more traditional background) try to escape my mount by sticking his finger in the "pressure point" behind my ear and shoving as hard as he could. We weren't even rolling, just drilling some techniques. I shrugged his hand off, annoyed, but he dug his finger back in there and kept at it. I could have just slapped his arm away and asked him not to repeat that, but instead I decided to let him roll me. As he did, I applied a nice tight armbar to that arm as he came up into my guard. "You don't want to do that", he said, as I started to apply pressure to his elbow. "Oh no?", I asked "Why not?", and continued to slowly extend. As he started to grimace, I think he said something like he could bite me...at that point, his instructor came over and broke us up.

He came over later and apologized. I apologized too, as I let myself get a little angry. I should have just jumped off him and lay in the corner convulsing, convincing him that pressure points are the way to go.

The oil check, as was pointed out, is indeed the only pressure point you’ll ever need. ;)

when i triangle someone, i be sure and trap both arms, negating any oil action

did i hear oil checking?

I had a guy try pressure points on me. Frankiscool nows how that one went...

I spent 4 years as a cop and I've been out of law enforcement for nearly 3 years.

At that time the defensive tactics instructors were big into pressure points.

They worked on normal people but me being the glutton for punishment that I am I picked the two biggest meatheads at the academy to train defensive tactics.

Anyone care to guess what happened to me?

I got abused but I learned real quick what worked alot and what didn't work that often.

You couldn't hurt those guys with pressure points and when I got into grappling later and guys tried it on me all it did was piss me off and aggravate me.

Some good pressure points are the common peroneal which is the outside of the thigh you've all felt it from leg kicks otherwise known as a deadleg, the side of the neck and maxoid process, the point under the nose.

I made these pressure points work but I didn't poke or squeeze I kicked and pounched or pulled on them.

And I got much respect for the oil check.

The bad thing is I consider it foreplay when someone oilchecks me so if you do it I hope you don't mind getting a little man seed on you.

LOL

"Hmm...not to sound like a skeptic, bhamill, but I don't think I would let go of a rear choke if we were really going at it, and you squeezed a nerve on my forearm. I've had plenty of people go after pressure points while we've been wrestling or training MMA, and with adrenaline going, all it does is cause annoyance - and if we were just rolling, ruin what was up until that moment a friendly roll."

It only causes ME annoyance as well, so I'm not suprised at all. As I said, I'm not sure how adrenalin would effect it as I've only tried it under friendly circumstances. And never on someone who didn't know it was coming either, I wasn't looking to make things "unfriendly".

"Have you let someone sink a rear choke on you and then used this technique to successfully, repeatedly escape while they were attempting to put you out? If so, maybe this is something we should look into. If not, I think further research is required."

Yup, I have let people sink it in perfectly specificly for the function of showing them how it works. Nothing shows you better where to apply it than having it done to you. And yes, I have used it repeatedly. When it works it works pretty much right away, if someone doesn't react to it right away, they will not be releasing that hold. I would not suggest getting into the hold in a "real" situation just to use it, but if you wind up there, give it a shot before you sleep or tap. Or don't, just sharing some info.

bhamill,

I can vouch for that pressure point technique. I have used it as well. But, just like any pressure point tech., it doesn't work on everybody, and it's easy enough to avoid if you know its coming. Using it against just an average joe, it usually works pretty well.