Preventing Guard Pulling, anybody ever address it?

I'm not talking about the instant sit and scoot fags either...

After I grip up at the few tourneys I've been to everyone eventually pulls guard. Has anyone good ever put anything out on how to respond to this to properly?

Get better at takedowns, then you don't have to worry about them pulling guard.

I would love it if guys would pull guard against me. I never pull guard.

Be happy you were just given the top position, just practice your guard passing and stay on top.

It depends on the rules. But in most gi tourneys I tell my guys to take a grip on the collar and pant leg, rather than the sleeve. This way, if the guy pulls guard, he gives up 2 points for the takedown.

Other than that, it can be difficult to keep someone from simply sitting down. What you should be more concerned with is practicing not letting them get to closed guard.

Judo Scott - After I grip up at the few tourneys I've been to everyone eventually pulls guard. Has anyone good ever put anything out on how to respond to this to properly?

Given that your name is Judo Scott, I would be it's because your opponents have realised that you're probably better at stand up then they are, and pull guard to avoid losing 2 points (and possible getting tossed onto their heads).

I've never seen any instructional on how to counter it, but Roger's really good at reading when people pull guard and starts to pass even as the opponent is pulling guard. Terere was good at that too, so maybe try scouting Youtube for some of their matches.

James

Watch some of Jacare's later matches with Roger. In at least one, he grabs the collar with one hand, and stiff arms the belt with the other. That way he controls the hips, and Roger couldn't pull closed guard.

Andre Galvao goes over how to begin passing as soon as they start to pull guard in his latest DVDs. Not too earthshattering, but some good concepts. Mostly I focus on blocking his hips and getting one knee up in the middle as soon as I feel someone begin to pull.

Frankl's tip is good too.

just connect your elbow and knee. then pass.

It is a bjj tournament- part of the game is sitting to guard.If you don't like it, why bother competing? Just compete in Judo or wrestling tournaments.

kying418 - It is a bjj tournament- part of the game is sitting to guard.If you don't like it, why bother competing? Just compete in Judo or wrestling tournaments.

He was just asking for a way to avoid it. If you dont have an intelligent response then shut your mouth

saulo also shows the collar and belt grip on his second gi set.

it's worked well for me except against really long-legged guard jumpers.

my best prevention has been a really well timed kosoto gari.

JRockwell - Mostly I focus on blocking his hips and getting one knee up in the middle as soon as I feel someone begin to pull.

My scrotum shrinks inside my body when I consider the possible outcome of somebody slamming a knee up as their opponent jumps to guard :-P

sanchezero - just connect your elbow and knee. then pass.

wow sounds easy

laqueus - Get better at takedowns, then you don't have to worry about them pulling guard.

WTF

Thanks for all the constructive thoughts.

I'm no world beating Judo champ thats for sure. Just a year of Judo with a proper Judo sensei then he moved on. I still work at it and study what ever I can on my own with bjj guys. I only have a few throws I am capable of pulling off.

Thanks for the alternative gripping ideas. I'll look at that. I've ever worked a throw off those grips so it'll be interesting.

I have seen a few vids of guys that use it as an opportunity to pass but didn't have any names to look up before. I'll def check out those vids as well.

Wet - 
kying418 - It is a bjj tournament- part of the game is sitting to guard.If you don't like it, why bother competing? Just compete in Judo or wrestling tournaments.

He was just asking for a way to avoid it. If you dont have an intelligent response then shut your mouth

I guess I was just responding to his reference to "butt scoot fags".

Sorry!

Judo Scott - I'm not talking about the instant sit and scoot fags either...

After I grip up at the few tourneys I've been to everyone eventually pulls guard. Has anyone good ever put anything out on how to respond to this to properly?

there is a technique or two for this in the Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu book.

http://www.groundfighter.com/Demian-Maia-Science-of-Jiu-Jitsu-2-Instructional-DVDs/

The stand up disc on demian 2nd series addresses this.  The free clip talks about it a bit  

http://community.trainingforwarriors.com/_Demian-Maia-Stop-Guard-Pull/video/388676/6152.html

meatrokket - 
laqueus - Get better at takedowns, then you don't have to worry about them pulling guard.

WTF

I'm serious. If you're really good at takedowns they won't be able to get guard.

It's a 2 for 1 deal. Rather than worry about dealing with guard pulling specifically, improve your takedowns, and you'll also be able to deal with people who don't pull guard and are trying to throw you.

laqueus - 
meatrokket - 

WTF

I'm serious. If you're really good at takedowns they won't be able to get guard.

It's a 2 for 1 deal. Rather than worry about dealing with guard pulling specifically, improve your takedowns, and you'll also be able to deal with people who don't pull guard and are trying to throw you.

I agree that training takedowns is beneficial in many ways, but it isn't a solve for people jumping to or pulling guard.