Pride 27 (small spoiler inside)

maybe a bigger spoiler than I realize

With talk of judo losing, I thought I would share some news...

Nakamura won his fight, but he has to work on his finishing skills. He fought Dos Caros (sp?), the guy that Mirko had beat in a previous Pride. Supposedly Caros has a greco-background, but Nakamura was able to pummel with him, and get underhooks at times, and he definitely won the stand-up grappling. As Caros doesn't really have a submission game himself, it was up to Nakamura to finish the fight on the ground, but unfortunately, he wasn't able to. He had a couple of armbars that were decently close, but he couldn't quite get it.

Sergei Kharitonov fought a pro-wrestler known as the "L.A. Giant". It was an interesting fight in that Kharitonov seems to have a sambo background (military guy). He used an ouchi-gari to get the Giant to the mat, passed to side-mount, hit the Giant VERY hard a couple of times with GNP and then armbarred him. He is another Fedor in other words. (and since sambo and judo are trained together in Russia...)

Kharitonov and Fedor will both be in the Pride HW GP. Russian Sambo vs. Russian Judo. Which style is better? =) I actually hope that they do fight...but not in the first round of course.

I said small spoiler because, well, both of these fights were fights that these guys were expected to win.

Sothy - The Nakamura you are talking about. Is it one of the famous Nakamura brothers from Tokai?

Sorry if it sounds dumb. I don't watch MMA.

Sothy, you can expect Pride to match the 2 up early, if they follow the usual booking for the Gp. It should be awesome.

Tartaruga, no he isn't one of those Nakamura brothers.

got it...Thanks

i don't think too many are going to get the PPV anyway

Pride 27 was on US PPV?

"I have no idea why people think Pride has the best fighters"

Because this was possibly the worst Pride event for a couple of years you think Pride has bad fighters? Check out the last 10 Pride events before this and then come back and list the bad fighters and their opponents for us.

I don't think victories over two pro-wreslters is really something to brag about.

Nakamura can be better than his master Yoshida!

I was really impressed with Nakamura. He hit two nice ouchi-garis and had Dos Caras off balance with some uchimata attempts. He also looked impressive with his win over Daniel Gracie. His groundwork looks solid too.