Pride fighters in their prime vs todays crop

Overall HW and LHW has regressed

2 Likes

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Shogun and Wandi would absolutely soccer kick that dude into a living death

1 Like

If me and NDA come to the same conclusion then it is probably true lol

We are just in a rough period for the higher weights in MMA at the moment. Lower quality especially when you leave the Top 5 and more shallow depth overall.

There are exceptions like we’ve mentioned in Jon Jones and the landscape could and does always change but just watch the sole HW fight tonight and see the level of these guys.

In the days when this Division was better and deeper not only would there be more than one HW fight on a Card but the average one then would look a lot more impressive than what we are probably going to see tonight.

1 Like

Never admit that again lol.

1 Like

How would they be landing leg kicks from their back

I’m going to have to go watch some old Pride shows but I don’t agree that skill level or ability has decreased in any weight class. The only difference I see is at least 90% of the guys today are highly trained and conditioned athletes who are drug tested and fighting very similarly matched opponents.
The mismatches are what made Pride great, imo. The best was when they’d put a decent mid level small guy against a literal giant who had no idea how to fight and the little guy would always have us on the edge of our seats.
Staying up to 3AM watching shitty streams that cut out randomly just so we could hear the shrill Pride announcer, see the fights and discuss the show live on here was an experience we just won’t have again and I think it’s also why we have such fond memories of the fighters today. Are you even really a fan if you don’t know who this is?

1 Like

Same way Jan was? Lol you make it seem like Shogun never fought wrestlers lol

He didn’t fight any Russian Sambo guys as big and strong as Magomed

Nope but he fought D1 all Americans as well as Judo black belts who were more decorated and on all the Jucie.

Spit Take GIF

Again, you don’t know what you’re watching so why bother. Your ignorance is sad

1 Like

Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman were no laughing matter before drug testing was a thing. Coleman would probably still be champ today if they hadn’t outlawed headbutts.

4 Likes

Prime JBJ & DC tear through every single Pride FC fighter with ease. Cage or ring

1 Like

This whole forum has been proving him wrong on Id say 95% of this threads as a whole, but he’s too stubborn to actually listen to anyone. He’s one of those guys who looks at a piece of paper and says “fighter 1 beats fighter 2”. You can tell he’s never trained, he’s newer to the sport and you can tell he doesn’t really have an analytical mind for fighting

1 Like

Coleman on the Lytes Out podcast I think said he and Jon practiced takedowns against each other and he went like 9-1 or something on them over Jon. And that 1 bothered him and he had an explanation for it lol

I’ll never say a bad word about Mark Goatman

1 Like

mma bear GIF by DAZN USA

2 Likes

Does anyone remember that before Heath herring they tried to make Brock Lesnar v. Mark Coleman? That would have been matchmaking malfeasance

A younger Coleman… that would have been a cool fight to see though

3 Likes

Yeah that really bothered me and I’m a huge fan of both Coleman and Lesnar.

Coleman’s win over Bonnar considering they are from different generations was so impressive to me at UFC 100.

Bonnar was coming off a fight with Jon Jones going the distance with him and Coleman was a couple years away from hip surgery… and he pullef it off as an old man underdog. Coleman is a Legend and as said if young and healthy with headbutts would be a problem for many.

1 Like

I’m not even trolling. I do believe that JBJ & DC are the two best LHW’s to ever live. I also believe that DC was better at LHW than he was at HW

Prime DC would be a nightmare matchup for just about everyone from that era ufc or Pride

Liddell v. DC in their primes would have been extremely interesting

1 Like