Pride scoring is just.. better

I can sort of see Lyoto winning the fight in unified scoring but no way he takes that under Pride scoring. Him hobbling around with that lit-up ribcage and looking lost at the end..

Ironically, Guy Mezger was talking shit about Pride/Dream scoring and Japanese MMA in general on the Dream broadcast...

gorilla is correct.

'cause there were no bad decisions in Pride?

I think maybe you need a better memory.

Pride had just as many shitty decisions. Ricco vs Nog was one of the worst i have ever seen....

Scoring rounds is, and always will be, inferior. Accumulated damage is important. The amount of rounds in a fight is entirely arbitrary. If Lyoto went another three rounds then the winner would be much more obvious.

The fight as a whole should be scored.

Naughty Gorilla - I can sort of see Lyoto winning the fight in unified scoring but no way he takes that under Pride scoring. Him hobbling around with that lit-up ribcage and looking lost at the end..

Ironically, Guy Mezger was talking shit about Pride/Dream scoring and Japanese MMA in general on the Dream broadcast...

Go watch some of Mezgers fights in Pride, and maybe you will understand the irony. Start with his fights with Arona, Rua, and Sakuraba, then finish with the Wanderlei Silva fight where he was clearly winning until Silva headbutted him, and the ref did nothing.

Pride's scoring and matchmaking are pretty poor.

I don't understand the "Whoever finishes fight stronger wins" logic. It's like if u look at GSP/Fitch. You telling me GSP can beat Fitch's ass for 4 rounds and then Fitch destroys GSP in 5th..japanese judges would give fight to Fitch?

I'm not a fan of round scoring or whole fight scoring. IMO, You go 5 minutes per round till someone gets ko'ed/tko'ed/subbed or quits.

Pride had some shitty decisions too but less. But those were a result of shadiness, not the SCORING system

Ah, good point. The Silva incident happened so quickly it may have been understandable though. He seems to have a grudge against the whole country though, even though he enjoyed his best success in Pancrase

"Go watch some of Mezgers fights in Pride, and maybe you will understand the irony. Start with his fights with Arona, Rua, and Sakuraba, then finish with the Wanderlei Silva fight where he was clearly winning until Silva headbutted him, and the ref did nothing. "

The round system could be ok, but the problem is there are very rarely anything other than 10-9 rounds.

lol, tell Guy Mezger or Bustamante that Pride scoring was better

The Pride scoring system was better in terms of focusing on efforts to finish the fight. But I prefer the round by round scoring as opposed to scoring the fight in it's entirety. A mix of the two would be best, imo.

knuckleballs - Pride had just as many shitty decisions. Ricco vs Nog was one of the worst i have ever seen....

It didnt have nearly as many, the overwhelming majority of the time you knew who would get the decision at the end, in the US system sometimes I dont have a fucking clue what they are going to do, all the judges interpret the system differently, its a joke.

Ricco vs Nog is pretty much the only decision you will hear people complain about, there were some other very close fights that could have gone either way that some may not agree with but on the whole the PRIDE system had a lot less bad decisions and complaints.  The Unified system is just a severely flawed system for MMA, it was designed for boxing, it doesnt work for MMA.

Also for all the people complaining about Japanese not being partial, I remember a bunch of fights in various Japanese orgs where I thought the Japanese fighter won and he didnt get the decision, all were in close fights, Kawajiri vs Melendez, KID vs Warren, Gomi vs Golyaev.

No, Guy didn't lose because of a headbutt. He lost because he got punched in the head by a better fighter.

EckY - 
knuckleballs - Pride had just as many shitty decisions. Ricco vs Nog was one of the worst i have ever seen....

It didnt have nearly as many, the overwhelming majority of the time you knew who would get the decision at the end, in the US system sometimes I dont have a fucking clue what they are going to do, all the judges interpret the system differently, its a joke.

Ricco vs Nog is pretty much the only decision you will hear people complain about, there were some other very close fights that could have gone either way that some may not agree with but on the whole the PRIDE system had a lot less bad decisions and complaints.  The Unified system is just a severely flawed system for MMA, it was designed for boxing, it doesnt work for MMA.

Also for all the people complaining about Japanese not being partial, I remember a bunch of fights in various Japanese orgs where I thought the Japanese fighter won and he didnt get the decision, all were in close fights, Kawajiri vs Melendez, KID vs Warren, Gomi vs Golyaev.

I think that Kawajiri and KID both lost close fights, while Gomi did get robbed. Did you ever see Takada vs Newton? Or, Mezger vs Sakuraba? One judge gave Shoji the nod versus Filho, causing a bogus split decision. That's just off my head. The subjectivity in ALL mma judging problematic, whether they are doing it round by round, or in a "holistic" way. Either way, refs, judges, athletic commisions and - of course - the fighters need to all figure out a way to get on the same page.

"US system sometimes I dont have a fucking clue what they are going to do, all the judges interpret the system differently, its a joke."

The fact that there were many split decisions in Pride says that the judges interpreted that system differently too.

WickedWonder - I don't understand the "Whoever finishes fight stronger wins" logic.

That's probably because that logic had nothing to do with Pride scoring. It was whoever came closest to finishing the fight, whether it was a knockdown/close submission in the first round or the last.

GladiatorGannon - 
WickedWonder - I don't understand the "Whoever finishes fight stronger wins" logic.

That's probably because that logic had nothing to do with Pride scoring. It was whoever came closest to finishing the fight, whether it was a knockdown/close submission in the first round or the last.

Correct! Thank you, Gannon. Common misconception.

phauna - Scoring rounds is, and always will be, inferior. Accumulated damage is important. The amount of rounds in a fight is entirely arbitrary. If Lyoto went another three rounds then the winner would be much more obvious.

The fight as a whole should be scored.

phauna is correct.