Pride scoring is just.. better

EckY - 
knuckleballs - Pride had just as many shitty decisions. Ricco vs Nog was one of the worst i have ever seen....

It didnt have nearly as many, the overwhelming majority of the time you knew who would get the decision at the end, in the US system sometimes I dont have a fucking clue what they are going to do . . .

I totally agree.

"That's probably because that logic had nothing to do with Pride scoring. It was whoever came closest to finishing the fight, whether it was a knockdown/close submission in the first round or the last."

That argument has never made any sense to me at all. What is the point of scorecards and any other criteria if all that matters is who had the one moment at which they came closer to finishing?

Not to mention that scoring was certainly not applied to Baroni/Minowa II, where Minowa put on the worst display of lay and pray I've ever seen for 14 minutes and then got soccer kicked and stomped into oblivion for the last 30 seconds and still won.

Wand did Vale Tudo the hell out of Mezgar.

And yes Pride has a lot of bad decisions. The argument that it was more "shady" than bad scoring is fine except that "overall" scoring lends itself to more shading scoring because it is more ambiguous.

Instead of questioning one or two suspect rounds like we do now, we would have little to no idea why judges scored the fight one way or the other.

Not to mention, the judges from Machida/Rua would probably have still ruled in favor of Machida, arguing that he was trying harder to finish the fight.

Naughty Gorilla - I can sort of see Lyoto winning the fight in unified scoring but no way he takes that under Pride scoring.

You're right, the undersized asian getting beaten up but lasting till the end and being awarded a controversial decision would never have happened in PRIDE.

" The Pride scoring system was better in terms of focusing on efforts to finish the fight."

"That's probably because that logic had nothing to do with Pride scoring. It was whoever came closest to finishing the fight, whether it was a knockdown/close submission in the first round or the last."

again, explain Mezger/Arona then. Guy has him so out that the ropes are all that's holding him up, and Arona gets the decision

Explain Bustamante/Rampage, when Busta had a choke on so tight that the ref made him let it go and restarted them

"Pride scoring" is a euphamism for "whoever we have money on is going to win". The guys got shut down for their mob ties, its not like you have to dig far to find the rationale

Pride scoring in the hands of Cecil is just as disasterous.

jason hornbuckle -

Explain Bustamante/Rampage, when Busta had a choke on so tight that the ref made him let it go and restarted them

Rampage had already pulled his head out. The controversy was because the fight was soon after stopped to fix Rampage's shorts, giving him a chance to recuperate. Maybe Bustamante could have capitalized, maybe not. But the fight was interrupted during a lull in the action.

This demonstrates the problem with a lot of the whining about bad decisions: so much of it is actually a simple result of bad or selective memories.

FieryErmine - 'cause there were no bad decisions in Pride?

I think maybe you need a better memory.

Truth.

Look, OF COURSE there were bad decisions in Pride. There were just far fewer bad decisions than there are with the Unified Rules. Part of it may have been due to the judges simply being better at their job. But part of it was also because of the sophisticated scoring system. When a Pride fight went the distance, many more times than not, the guy who was awarded the victory "felt like" the guy who had won the fight. That's the sign of a good judging system.