PRIDE's Fatal Flaw

The current trend of late stoppages in Japan -- particularly with older fighters like Yoshida and Sakuraba -- leads me to believe a serious injury or death in the ring may be most significant blow to an eventual demise of PRIDE as we know it.

Although there's already heavy scrunity on DSE for Yakuza ties, etc, fighter safety is being stressed less and less. Unless there's suddenly voice for more restraint, fights will continue to end late, and momementum of casual acceptance will continue build, setting up what could be a huge crash.

The fighter most likely will be very popular, or even an icon, so fans will be overwhelmed. Though Japanese media is not my expertise, I have to imagine in due time some outlets will heavily criticize DSE. Public scrutiny will in turn grow, and, eventually, formal action will be taken by the government.

Once new standards (likely similiar to what NSAC/UFC now accept) are in order, though, it will be too late. Casual and potential fans in Japan and elsewhere will be turned off, any new TV deals will fizzle, and the organization will go bankrupt.

Saku's last couple fights have been in K-1.

dude you are in serious denial if you dont think someone will get seriously hurt or die in the UFC eventually

I know David, but still being in Japan contributes to the overall momentum I see building in Japan.... it's like there will be a battle waged between the org to see who can let their iconic fighter take a bigger beating. A serious injury/death could happen in either org, but the consequences would affect both.

By the way, I've started this thread because I don't want to see this happen

Dude stop complaining. I am tired of the Pride haters that critcize everything that happens in Japan. Yakuza ties? Are you for real? How was vegas built? Has there not been speculation and proof of organized crime in boxing,and it is still going. Didnt the mob fix the World Series? Baseball didnt fold, did it?
How many boxers have head trauma from boxing? How many have died in the ring?
Nothing is gonna happen. Pride will continue.

"dude you are in serious denial if you dont think someone will get seriously hurt or die in the UFC eventually"

Dude you're in serious denial if you think given NSAC etc regulations let alone the level of scruinty in American media aren't working more effectively to keep fighers safe than their equivalents in Japan. Just one example, compare the beating Ken Shamrock has taken versus those that Japanese vets have.

O yeah and where did I say it will never happen in UFC

"Dude you're in serious denial if you think given NASC etc regulations and the level of scruinty in American media aren't working more effectively than their equivalents in Japan."

Lol and you are basing this on what? Have you actually watched the UFC the past few years? There has been quite a few brutal late stoppages. Just like there has been a few quick stoppages

"Just one example, compare the beating Ken Shamrock has taken versus those that Japanese vets have."

Wich japanese vets? How many times has Yoshida been brutally beaten? Shamrock looked like Sloth the first time he fought Ortiz. The second fight was bashed here because it was a quick stoppage. The third fight nobody gave a fuck. Somebody should tell Justin Eilers you think UFC is much "safer"

lol... sorry Diego, I enjoy reading many of your posts, but to say the least you're not seeing this situation objectively

Pride's fatal flaw was treating the American market as unimportant and ignoring the potential revenue that could be had from it. Now it's biting them in the ass.

RuleDogg. You are right bro

I must have imagined Razor Rob vs Olaf that was under the precious NSAC regulations

Or Jason Lamberts eyes rolled back in his head and still eating like 8 punches before it got stopped

:=)

"I must have imagined Razor Rob vs Olaf that was under the precious NSAC regulations "

lol... what a bizzar post

Well, since you mentioned it I can't think of any excessively-late Eilers stoppages though I haven't seen all his fights... he blew out his knee vs Arlovski, and vs Buentello and Vera he was obviously ko'd but the stoppages were crisp, IIRC.

I agree that Lambert's stoppage was a little late, and I think Penn's was as well.

And I fully agree that Razor Rob vs Olaf was terrible but more of a fluke, given that was the dumbass ref's fault for going after the mouthpiece instead of doing his job. I doubt we'll see him again.

Of course there are occassional late stoppages in US, but it appears to me that the tolerance to them is much higher in Japan. I'm arguing that the momentum is building towards a collapse in this tolerance once a well-known fighter almost/does die, and the consequences will be placed square on the MMA organization's shoulders.

Also, don't you think the allowance of stomps, downed knees, and soccer kicks support this argument?

regulations, regulations...

"safety" is the single most uttered word in America, and still...

maybe a diferent sport would be better for you

There will be calls of late and early stoppages in any org always.

"The thing is that in PRIDE and K-1, the late stoppages are on purpose. The late stoppages in the UFC result from errors in judgement.

Thanks Ryan you said it better than I did. lol it usually takes twenty posts for someone to add something objective to a thread, so congrats for being under par

Man, go figure...a combat sport where people get hurt? Really? People are not going to start dropping dead in PRIDE. And fans will not run away if it happens. Why would they?

Fans don't come to see two guys tap dance and then hug each other. They come to see a FIGHT. Much like people rubber neck when driving by a car accident but they still drive, people will continue watching PRIDE.

blah blah blah...when its early theres controversy, when its late theres controversy! jeezos creezos!

"Much like people rubber neck when driving by a car accident but they still drive, people will continue watching PRIDE."

lol... 'rubber-necking' is far different than a sports fan purchasing over-priced tickets to an MMA event, or an international corporation advocating/sponsoring a fight promotion through multi-million dollar contracts.

I'm NOT arguing the hardcore fans will dissolve. The casual fans and tepid (i.e. public-image conscious) businessmen are those who will be affected.

Do you not think PRIDE depends on these groups?

ttt