Prime Karelin Today?

Far too many variables in modern MMA for anyone to claim he would destroy. We simply don't know what he would be like without the Soviet pharmaceutical industry at his disposal, could he take a punch, what would his cardio be like for a 5 round fight, just too many variables. But he would have an amazing base to begin with.

He would be champ in no time.

The guy isn't human and the UFCs heavyweights are not exactly the best athletes in the world.

HasĀ Rulon Gardner retired?Ā 

![](upload://jXYy4cMpelquVbVlXLQyegR0Hhp.jpeg)

WB Rulon.Ā 

1 Like
OG2006 -

This thread used to be good for a hundred posts back when that was a lot for a thread.Ā 

100 hitters were legendary back in the day lol

His dad was a boxer. He was insanely flexible.Ā  Not sure how quick.

![](upload://qu03THiGnorlBpmgpdI0LFgUVts.jpeg)

Look kids, I was a champion!

FingerorMoon -

I swear I remember an interview where he talked about not liking striking and not having an interestĀ in mma because of that.

I think I remember that tooā€”something about him not liking to get hit to the extent that he didnā€™t want to go into MMA.Ā 

I saw Karelin compete in one of his early international Greco competitions. Ā I was a little kid mat rat at the time. As a result, I followed his international career as much as one could before youtube and FLO. Iā€™m not an authority, but based on sheer athleticism, Iā€™d guess that within a year of training I. Striking and also submissions, he could probably be a solid top 5 of all time onĀ paper.

Heā€™d be a lot scarier of a prospect if he dominated free instead of Greco. Greco is so limited.

wiggum - -He'd be the most talented athlete to ever compete in MMA, followed most likely by James Toney, Herschel Walker, Yoel Romero, and Henry Cejudo.

-He would not pass USADA tests, but I think these conversations are never interesting if you stop there.

-We have no idea whether he could punch or take a punch.

Jon? His brother lead the NFL in sacks 2017. Got third in 2018, got second in 2019. JonĀ arguably the mma GOAT. Doesnā€™t get much more genetically gifted than that.

iqwrestler -

Heā€™d be a lot scarier of a prospect if he dominated free instead of Greco. Greco is so limited.

Couture was a Greco man IIRC and he did pretty well.

True, randy isĀ the one example. How did dan Hendersonā€™s wrestling look compared to DC? each man an Olympian in the different >

iqwrestlerĀ -Ā 
wiggum - -He'd be the most talented athlete to ever compete in MMA, followed most likely by James Toney, Herschel Walker, Yoel Romero, and Henry Cejudo.

-He would not pass USADA tests, but I think these conversations are never interesting if you stop there.

-We have no idea whether he could punch or take a punch.

Jon? His brother lead the NFL in sacks 2017. Got third in 2018, got second in 2019. JonĀ arguably the mma GOAT. Doesnā€™t get much more genetically gifted than that.

Yeah, I think Jon is probably up there.

However, Iā€™m a little hesitant because while his wrestling career was solid, he wasnā€™t a phenom.

AnotherTMAguy -
iqwrestler -

Couture was a Greco man IIRC and he did pretty well.

Jon Jones and hendo as well.