Prime Ken Shamrock vs Rickson in Pride?

Any version of Ken beats Royce or Tito 7 out of 10 times.

1 Like

So when Ken was wining his fights, was his neck injury a problem? Or is it a problem when he loses?

Obviously not

Then imagine the breaking your neck in HS, and the wear and tear from tons of street fights, pro fights, pro wrestling, and HEAVY substance abuse.

Just the Nasty Boys incident alone would be enough to change the course of a lot of peopleā€™s lives.
Some people never really recover from a proper beating.

Have you read the Snowden book?

Itā€™s insane man.

I know a lot about Ken and the LD and early NHB/MMA through the end of Pride in general.
Followed it, studied it, traned it, debated it, and generally speaking lived it for a lot of years.
The UFC changed my life.
And aside from rumors and a few second hand dojo storiesā€¦ I didnā€™t know the full extent of Ken Shamrockā€™s crazy life.
Of course I still donā€™tā€¦ The book is likely the tip of the iceberg.

Point isā€¦ I really think it should be almost required reading for people analyzing Kenā€™s career, with all itā€™s highs and lows.
It kind of puts a lot of the enigmatic mystery in perspective.

Plus, itā€™s entertaining as hell, and educational in terms of MMA history.

1 Like

Right.

Everyone knew if Ken was even in a little trouble,it was getting stopped.
But Ken did turn his back and turtle for some reason.

If they were both healthy and allowed to fight,I thought it could be a great matchup.

ha ha

im talking about the Berry fight Watch it again

Well he didnā€™t win a lot of fights after his comeback.
The Frye fight was kind of a career defining moment for both guys too. They both had a sharp decline after that fight, and Frye himself says they left something in the ring that day.
Romanticizing a bit??
Maybe.
But there is a reason the saying ā€œā€œhe got old over nightā€ā€ has been common for prize fighters.
Obviously Ken was already declining before the Frye fight. All you have to do is watch him move around and itā€™s obvious.
Even Bas Rutten commented on it.
He said something like (pharaprasing), ā€œā€ Ken just wasnā€™t the same guy when he came back. I donā€™t know what happened. Itā€™s weird.""

Iā€™d say it was a problem that got progressively worse.

Life is a fluid thing, and fighters are not exempt from this.
We only see a small fraction of their lives, and tend to make broad judgements based on that.

In my experience, stingers were very random.
A certain movement and it would come on very suddenly, like a shock.
Again, Iā€™m not saying Ken was having stingers.
But IMO and from my observations, Kenā€™s neck problems were just as bad and probably even more significant than his knee problems.

I did, today.

And I posted my opinion.

Look at the left that grazes his chin just before the right that hits his glove, and Kenā€™s reaction in between.
Pretty much has to be slow motion.

Iā€™m just using examples of other incidents to illustrate that Ken has something wrong with him, beyond just the average ā€œgetting chinnyā€ on the down side.

I havenā€™t read the book but plan on getting it ASAP, it sounds awesome, itā€™s surprising to hear heā€™s a big partier but it kind of makes sense looking back now.

Not sure about all the injuries but can imagine there were a lot with how the lions den trained. I heard he screwed up a lot of stuff in his wwf run, and some of the injuries in his first ufc run, like that he broke his hand against Brian Johnston, had bad meniscusā€™s at ufc 3, and he showed up to the second Severn fight with a bunch of stuff.

He was probably partying before the fujita fight, what were some of the party stories or injuries? In the build up for the first Tito fight it showed Tito training with Rico Rodriguez and team punishment, then it showed Ken doing weight machines and not much else so I know he had to have something going on

1 Like

I never believed Ken took a dive in the Franklin fight.

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ Ken was just training with his old Lionā€™s Den guys for Tito.
Even Rogan mentioned it ā€“ and Ken credited Rogan for pointing it out. He said he wasnā€™t going to the gym and getting his ass kicked like he should have been.
Thatā€™s what got him to train with Paulson.
Not so much to focus on his strengths, but all the in-between stuff.
Paulson was very complimentary of Ken, and there are members here who trained with Ken at that time, who are also very complimentary of his abilities.
It obviously paid off with the Kimo fight. Ken looked good, really for the last time.

As far as party storiesā€¦

I donā€™t want to post too many spoilers.
Its more than just partying though.
Itā€™s kinda ofā€¦ everything, lol.

I did post a teaser earlier about the LD guys saying Ken was coming down from ecstasy when he fought Taktarov.

And the part where heā€™s raging and beating the shit out of Tony Galindo and Vernon White behind a barā€¦ Thatā€™s a good one too!

There is a lot of sex stuff too.

2 Likes

There are countless pride fights where the person in kens position is given the opportunity to fight out of it but the ref stops it quick

1 Like

are you completely deranged? Iā€™m not going to try and explain the myriad of circuitous fuck ups that constitutes the vetting process of U.S,A Wrestling, but there are indeed many times where there have been walk ons allowed at the trial tournament

Why not?

darren must be vacationing in colorado

100%.

Pride had a reputation of letting things go.

If he took a dive he would have sold it better.

1 Like

I didnā€™t either, I just thought the game had passed by him a bit where Rich was up and coming. The banana peel thing looked like he was dropping for a leg & got surprised with a punch at the same time & made it look weird.

1 Like

They definitely wanted to stop it, but you canā€™t turn away like that & be halfway out the ring lol. He just really shouldā€™ve stopped after Kimo2. Pretty much everyone fights way too long though.

1 Like