Prime Tyson vs Prime Foreman

Who you got??

Both were absolute killers… I’d rather be hit by a train and die instantly rather than take a hit from one of them and live the remainder of my life as a vegetable…

1 Like

Oh shit…

It’s gonna get controversial in here!

I can see it going either way, and my take on it might be a little different from most…

In some ways, old man Foreman–the wiser, tougher version–might be a worse matchup for Iron Mike.

1 Like
wiggum - In some ways, old man Foreman--the wiser, tougher version--might be a worse matchup for Iron Mike.

Great point. 

I think young Forman destroys him. Mikes pretty fast though. Old man Forman could take some shots, and he might just take the beating until Mike is tired. 

1 Like

![](upload://2kcXQrrdtI6qQMCPMl3NvColC4T.jpeg)

4 Likes

![](upload://jZNrzY93R2CNixXAU203l2aBoxj.gif)

1 Like

Tyson was a lot like Frasier so watch how George handled Frasier. Frasier was 6ft and about 230lbs. Tyson was 5’10 240lbs.

In his prime, Foreman was 6’4 230lbs.

I think George would have had a field day landing those huge uppercuts that he liked to throw. Tysons defense left him open for those big uppercuts and would be his downfall. I’d take Foreman in 6/7 rounds.

3 Likes
wiggum - In some ways, old man Foreman--the wiser, tougher version--might be a worse matchup for Iron Mike.

George Foreman is on record stating that Ali told him NOT TO FIGHT MIKE TYSON. Tyson just hitbtoo hard… Ali was really worried that Tyson would hurt the Old George…

With that said, the staredown, alone, between a young Foreman and Young Tyson would have been worth the price of admission… kinda like a staring contest between Christopher Walken and Hannibal Lecter(Anthony Hopkins).

First of all, I DO NOT believe that because past-his-prime Tyson told Don King to fight Foreman himself in a restaurant – equals some kind of intangible evidence that Foreman would win.

That’s flawed logic IMO.

Tyson wasn’t the young hungry fighter at that point in his career, and some heresay conversation over a meal doesn’t really mean anything.

I see Tyson as being similar to, yet more dangerous, than Joe Frazier.

Foreman destroyed Frazier… so I think a lot of people see that as a bad matchup for Tyson… and I do think it’s indeed a very tough matchup.

But, if you look at the second Foreman Frazier fight, Joe is using his defensive head movement to evade Foreman’s attack – but he isn’t countering. By not actively countering, he was just delaying the inevitable.

Foreman attacking the ducking Frazier was wide open to a lot of what Tyson was very good at – and prime Tyson went HARD to the body.

So IMO it’s a more competitive matchup than some people seem to think.

Someone would get hurt, and neither was unbeatable.

2 Likes
TheRoguewrestler - Tyson was a lot like Frasier so watch how George handled Frasier. Frasier was 6ft and about 230lbs. Tyson was 5'10 240lbs.

I think George would have had a field day landing those huge uppercuts that he liked to throw. Tysons defense left him open for those big uppercuts and would be his downfall. I’d take Foreman in 6/7 rounds.

Tyson was nothing like Frazier, defensively on a complete never level plus way more power. Tyson was 215-218 in his prime, not 240. Watch some of his fights from 1986-88 and check the weight.

1 Like

Tyson was way to quick for Foreman. Ernie Shavers hit harder than both.

1 Like

Young Prime Foreman was a monster. He beats the shit out of Mike. Mike vs Old man foreman is 50/50.

2 Likes

Good match up. I’d take Foreman but I think it would be a battle. Mike was quick and, in his prime, had great defense. I think Foreman hit too hard and could take shots. I think his size would have made the differance.

2 Likes
graciesrule - 
TheRoguewrestler - Tyson was a lot like Frasier so watch how George handled Frasier. Frasier was 6ft and about 230lbs. Tyson was 5'10 240lbs.

Tyson was nothing like Frazier, defensively on a complete never level plus way more power. Tyson was 215-218 in his prime, not 240. Watch some of his fights from 1986-88 and check the weight.

Tyson was a lot like Frazier. Watch their fights. There styles were comparable.

And should have listed Tyson at 220 in his prime.

2 Likes

Tommy Morrison beat old george and if tyson foght that way, get in do damage, move out and keep away, he could rack up rounds and win a dec.

tyson wouldnt knock him out tho

2 Likes
tajmills -
wiggum - In some ways, old man Foreman--the wiser, tougher version--might be a worse matchup for Iron Mike.

George Foreman is on record stating that Ali told him NOT TO FIGHT MIKE TYSON. Tyson just hitbtoo hard… Ali was really worried that Tyson would hurt the Old George…

With that said, the staredown, alone, between a young Foreman and Young Tyson would have been worth the price of admission… kinda like a staring contest between Christopher Walken and Hannibal Lecter(Anthony Hopkins).

George saying he wouldn’t have wanted to fight Tyson, is just the way a respectful old guard guy doesn’t shit on the new generation.

Any version of George, except maybe immediate post Ali fight Foreman, sends Tyson to the shadow realm.

1 Like
mayor daley -

Tommy Morrison beat old george and if tyson foght that way, get in do damage, move out and keep away, he could rack up rounds and win a dec.

tyson wouldnt knock him out tho

Fair point, but, I don't think Tyson does that. It's possible Tyson out points old Foreman, but, I think the likely outcome is Tyson pushes for KO, can't get it, gets tired/dinged up, and quits and finds a way out.

1 Like

Foreman by destruction. He is the worst style matchup for Mike Tyson. He’s very big and tall with a lot of power and he can take a punch. Forman can knock you out with a grazing punch. Foreman by early KO. See Foreman’s fight with Frazier as a reference.

1 Like

I got to ask big George back in the 80s who he thought would win. Him or iron Mike. He said nobody ever made iron Mike back up. He said he was big enough and mean enough to make Tyson fight backwards.

1 Like
FreakDaddy - Foreman by destruction. He is the worst style matchup for Mike Tyson. He's very big and tall with a lot of power and he can take a punch. Forman can knock you out with a grazing punch. Foreman by early KO. See Foreman's fight with Frazier as a reference.

I agree that Foreman might be the worst matchup for Tyson.

People are correct to cite the similarities to Frazier.

1 Like