Private lessons worth it?

shen

gotta disagree on several levels -

1st, i got so much better taking privates, then i ever would have doing regular class - it rare when i;m in regular class that i get the level of detail - the making it work little details

2nd, your instructor is good enough that he can just be a little better then you to give you a fight at your level - or he can give you the sub letting you find it

i rolled with every one of my private teachers (about 10-12 of them) -

3rd, you can ask them to ask a student (or you bring a friend ) to roll with you so your instructor can coach you, see you instead of feel you

your instructor can set you up in specific situatioins and you train from there - no one in class is gonna want to just train a certain way - they all want to roll

sreiter - shen

your instructor can set you up in specific situatioins and you train from there - no one in class is gonna want to just train a certain way - they all want to roll

There is a lot of truth to that, especially at the lower levels..everyone desperately trying to get a "sub" unless you have some good training partners. I'll still try and work my stuff, such as working from bad positions etc,,but it's much harder if you have a spaz rolling with you . The instructor can usually "test" you while rolling and help you with your weak points that he feels or sees. Even though he isn't looking at you roll with someone else, he will be able to see when you miss opportunities, just like you do when you roll with other people...

Actually sreiter,you mention you have 10-12 different instructors to roll with.That the main point of not doing only private lessons.You get to roll with different body types.Would you agree each instructor feels different?

FJ -

Renzo's was the only place i had multiple private instructors.

I dont think 1 instructor a year or two apart qualifies as multiple people.

i did not take privates excusivly

you are completely missing my points

i used to teach twenty privates a week for three years, but with my full time job now, i have scaled it back to five. i say that to give you some perspective on my opinion.

anyways, i think taking regular privates is the best supplement for your bjj. why? because an instructor can put a high level game together for you in four months, whereas it would take you five years to do it yourself. if you look at bjj as a puzzle and each move as a piece, then in the beginning you are trying to put a two thousand piece puzzle together without much of a clue of how the end picture should look. however, once you bring on an instructor, they can show you how the end result should look and how the pieces actually fit together. and when you get stuck, they can put the proper piece in your hand and point the way as to where it should go. it is a time saver that allows you to get the best game in a short time.

also, if you have holes in your game that consistently get you shut down, then you dont have to wait for your coach to get around to teaching that lesson in class. you can get the hole plugged right away and move on to the next impediment to be tackled.

note, i am not trying to sell lessons here. i am not taking on new clients. i simply am telling it as i have seen it over the years.

I have a couple of students who, because of their schedules, take privates from me on a regular basis rather than attend a regular class. I'm the first to tell them that this isnt the ideal way to learn.

Privates are invaluable as a supplement to regular class, but they are definitely no substitute for it. Again, I think they are important and I've taken many, but much of the real learning comes from rolling with everyone from the jackass who cant help but hurt you everytime you roll to the flexible 145-lber your instructor can never imitate. You need to roll with the fat guys, the strong ones, the old ones, the kids...that's how your jiujitsu becomes complete, imo.

andre - I have a couple of students who, because of their schedules, take privates from me on a regular basis rather than attend a regular class. I'm the first to tell them that this isnt the ideal way to learn.

Privates are invaluable as a supplement to regular class, but they are definitely no substitute for it. Again, I think they are important and I've taken many, but much of the real learning comes from rolling with everyone from the jackass who cant help but hurt you everytime you roll to the flexible 145-lber your instructor can never imitate. You need to roll with the fat guys, the strong ones, the old ones, the kids...that's how your jiujitsu becomes complete, imo.

Perfect answer. I have a friend that got his blue belt through privates. Because of his work schedule, he couldn't attend regular classes. I used to get with him and roll with him when we could, but he didn't really get to be a lot better until he was able to come to the regular classes and train in the gi more often. Even he will tell you that. He still takes an occasional private to tighten up his game, but mainly goes to class. He is now a purple belt wouldn't be there if he was taking only privates.

I've done multiple privates with Brad Peplow (McVicker black belt), Jack McVicker (Megaton black belt), Megaton and Paul Creighton (Renzo black belt).

I have benefitted from each lesson in some way.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend it. I believe taking privates has made me better.