Private Pilot License TME

I am looking to get my license as a sort of hobby. I know the cost will be anywhere from 6 to 10k. Does anyone have their license and can provide some useful feedback?

Bump

Friend of mine did all his instructor flights for about 10k, then he took his medical and cant fly because he is on prozac.

Awesome! Have you found having your license to be enjoyable or more of a nuisance money pit? It is always something I have wanted to do. Do you find yourself traveling more often and if so how often do you often travel? What's the best website to determine how long it would take me to go from point a to point b roughly in a certain type of aircraft? Thanks in advance!

6 Late Hammerfists - 
Navy_Nuke - Awesome! Have you found having your license to be enjoyable or more of a nuisance money pit? It is always something I have wanted to do. Do you find yourself traveling more often and if so how often do you often travel? What's the best website to determine how long it would take me to go from point a to point b roughly in a certain type of aircraft? Thanks in advance!

It's very enjoyable, and you can make money doing it. I take friends and family across the country all the time and just charge them slightly less than a regularly priced airline ticket. I actually do quite well

To do this legally requires a Commercial Pilot Certificate, which is beyond a Private Pilot Certificate.

So what are the types of licenses, and how many hours, classroom & in air, does it take to get?

The ones I am aware of are:

VFR (visual only)

IFR (instruments)

Commercial (you can do it for money)

Isn't there also Duplex/Complex? (multi engine/retractable landing gear)

What's after that?

6 Late Hammerfists - 
Trifive -
phydeau - So what are the types of licenses, and how many hours, classroom & in air, does it take to get?

VFR (visual only)

IFR (instruments)

What's after that?

There's Private, Commerical, CFI (certified flight instructor) and Airline Transport Pilot certificiates in the USA.

Under those, you can have "ratings" such Instrument (which allows you to fly IFR or Instrument flight rules.  Essentially flying in clouds and low visibility.  Otherwise you are limited to VFR or Visual flight rules which is essentially good weather and visibility).  You can have a multiengine rating to fly twin engine aircraft otherwise you are limited to single engine.  Any aircraft over 12,500 LBS requres a "type" rating for that aircraft. There's also a "sea" rating for flying planes on floats. 

You start with private and "work up" adding ratings and applying for the next certificate as you build time and experience.   The minimums to get each ticket are:

Private: 40

Commercial: 250

ATP: 1500

CFI requires a commercial first so that would be the minimums.  

However, these are just the absolute minimums.  Very very few people accomplish there certificates in the minimums.  When I was instructing my students would get their private in anywhere from 60-80 hours.  40 hours is nothing in the flying world so to think that someone is safe and ready to go in 40 is scary to me. 

Obviously there's ground schoold courses you must take as well with written tests.  If one applies themself and takes 2 lessons a week and does the required ground school they can get their Private in about 2-3 months.  Some people take longer though.  I had a school teacher that just couldn't get "it".  We'd do the same lesson over and over again and she just couldn't really advance.  On the other hand I had student that just got "it".  He was easy to teach and truly understood it all.   It's not for everyone obviously.   

If someone is really interested in it, I highly suggest going out to local airport and taking a "discovery flight" with the local flight school.  It's like a 20 minute flight for 60 dollars or so and gives you an idea of what it's all about.  If you get bit by the flying bug be prepared to spend some cash!

Hey man, not sure why you're hijacking the thread but whatever. Fill your boots

How the fuck is he hijacking the thread?

6 Late Hammerfists -
Trifive -
6 Late Hammerfists -
Trifive -
phydeau - So what are the types of licenses, and how many hours, classroom & in air, does it take to get?

VFR (visual only)

IFR (instruments)

What's after that?

There's Private, Commerical, CFI (certified flight instructor) and Airline Transport Pilot certificiates in the USA.

Under those, you can have "ratings" such Instrument (which allows you to fly IFR or Instrument flight rules.  Essentially flying in clouds and low visibility.  Otherwise you are limited to VFR or Visual flight rules which is essentially good weather and visibility).  You can have a multiengine rating to fly twin engine aircraft otherwise you are limited to single engine.  Any aircraft over 12,500 LBS requres a "type" rating for that aircraft. There's also a "sea" rating for flying planes on floats. 

You start with private and "work up" adding ratings and applying for the next certificate as you build time and experience.   The minimums to get each ticket are:

However, these are just the absolute minimums.  Very very few people accomplish there certificates in the minimums.  When I was instructing my students would get their private in anywhere from 60-80 hours.  40 hours is nothing in the flying world so to think that someone is safe and ready to go in 40 is scary to me. 

Obviously there's ground schoold courses you must take as well with written tests.  If one applies themself and takes 2 lessons a week and does the required ground school they can get their Private in about 2-3 months.  Some people take longer though.  I had a school teacher that just couldn't get "it".  We'd do the same lesson over and over again and she just couldn't really advance.  On the other hand I had student that just got "it".  He was easy to teach and truly understood it all.   It's not for everyone obviously.   

If someone is really interested in it, I highly suggest going out to local airport and taking a "discovery flight" with the local flight school.  It's like a 20 minute flight for 60 dollars or so and gives you an idea of what it's all about.  If you get bit by the flying bug be prepared to spend some cash!

You didn't answer any questions other than saying you do commercial/charter work as a private pilot.  But sorry for the hijack, I'll leave now.  The floor is yours. 

We were having a great convo then you just posted this super aggressive frat to make me look bad. Are you this aggressive in real life? If so I don't mind meeting up to settle our differences 

Wtf? I didn't see it that way dude. He never made you look bad. He just answered questions and gave some good input.

Let's take it easy on using the word hijack in a thread about private Pilot license. For the record, I truly appreciate the information you were able to pass along.

6 Late Hammerfists -
Trifive -
6 Late Hammerfists -
Trifive -

VFR (visual only)

IFR (instruments)

What's after that?

You didn't answer any questions other than saying you do commercial/charter work as a private pilot.  But sorry for the hijack, I'll leave now.  The floor is yours. 

We were having a great convo then you just posted this super aggressive frat to make me look bad. Are you this aggressive in real life? If so I don't mind meeting up to settle our differences 

LOL. He didn't jack anything, he posted a fact which you failed to communicate in your post. The fact that it made you look bad is on you, my friend. I don't know why proposing a real life fight is necessary.

6 Late Hammerfists -
Trifive -
6 Late Hammerfists -
Trifive -

VFR (visual only)

IFR (instruments)

Isn"t there also Duplex/Complex? (multi engine/retractable landing gear)

What"s after that?

LOL. Either get the fuck over yourself or admit sarcasm. 

Lmao you make me laugh Hammerfists. I'd rather he keep posting some actual intel on this thread than hearing you try to justify you're ridiculously hurt asshole.

6 Late Hammerfists -

I was having a great light hearted convo with OP and got super fratted by a smarty pants . This is a mixed martial arts website so of course we can settle differences with a friendly amateur MMA match , no?

i have a flight tomorrow morning at 0530 let me know asap please

And who appointed you the All Knowing Authority for this thread?  

6 Late Hammerfists - 

I was having a great light hearted convo with OP and got super fratted by a smarty pants . This is a mixed martial arts website so of course we can settle differences with a friendly amateur MMA match , no?

i have a flight tomorrow morning at 0530 let me know asap please

That moment when you think you're a guy guy, but then someone reminds you that you're not.

That's right now.

6 Late Hammerfists -
Fold me like one of your lawn chairs - Lmao you make me laugh Hammerfists. I'd rather he keep posting some actual intel on this thread than hearing you try to justify you're ridiculously hurt asshole.

Great vocabulary there bud. If you spoke like that over open waves you'd be written up so fast. I'm going to be the bigger man here and ask you to kindly back off. My beef is with mister aggressive pilot pants .

Haha I do love your posts most of the time. I don't understand the open waves comment and the getting written up part, however I'd like to see you keep this thread on topic with OP's post instead of bandaging up that incredibly gaped asshole that's hurting you so much.

6 Late Hammerfists -
Fold me like one of your lawn chairs - Lmao you make me laugh Hammerfists. I'd rather he keep posting some actual intel on this thread than hearing you try to justify you're ridiculously hurt asshole.

Great vocabulary there bud. If you spoke like that over open waves you'd be written up so fast. I'm going to be the bigger man here and ask you to kindly back off. My beef is with mister aggressive pilot pants .

You got issues, son. Seek help. 

6 Late Hammerfists -
Fold me like one of your lawn chairs -
6 Late Hammerfists -

Haha I do love your posts most of the time. I don't understand the open waves comment and the getting written up part, however I'd like to see you keep this thread on topic with OP's post instead of bandaging up that incredibly gaped asshole that's hurting you so much.

I'm saying that if you were a pilot and you spoke like that on the radio you would be reprimanded severely. Maybe you'd like to step up? I travel a lot for work and I'd be happy to meet up

So you communicate all the time like you're on the radio?? 

As I said, you got issues, son. 

6 Late Hammerfists -
pfsjkd -
6 Late Hammerfists -

You got issues, son. Seek help. 

I've flown over the Great Lakes and across channels of water the size of several city blocks. The only issues I have are with my neighbors.

LOL. Big fucking deal. I'd bet I have more time in a left turn than you have altogether. 

Hahaha no, I don't want a session of fisticuffs with you. You probably shouldn't be asking anyone to fight, due to the fact that that person would probably learn about your identity. They might then report you to the proper authorities, letting them know about your illegal commercial flights. This might launch an investigation that might hinder your future flying career.

6 Late Hammerfists -
Fold me like one of your lawn chairs - Hahaha no, I don't want a session of fisticuffs with you. You probably shouldn't be asking anyone to fight, due to the fact that that person would probably learn about your identity. They might then report you to the proper authorities, letting them know about your illegal commercial flights. This might launch an investigation that might hinder your future flying career.

Trust me , we can do this in such a way I don't get into an ounce of trouble. Like I said I'm a native warrior, I get away with things a white boy would do 6 months for 

This has to be a troll. lol I think the only person who hijacked this thread is yourself hammerfists.