Pro fighters training the Ido Portal BW/gymnastics

So, I am no longer a blue (nor do I know how i became one originally) but if someone can post a video that would be cool. We have had these talks about gymnastic stuff and bodyweight training for MMA and sports many of times but cool to see this:

http://youtu.be/3axZJl_kFTE

Ido Portal in general:

http://youtu.be/aLogFAbTlDI

For Arthur,

LINK 1.

LINK 2.

TAKU

Vid 1

Vid 2

He has damn sure perfected moving his body through space.

Hey A.R.,

I thought you lost your magic powers...

TAKU

Not me, Taku.  I'm full of surprises.

Btw, I dig that second vid.  It echos a lot of my own thoughts.

he's an interesting fella, for sure.

For me, training in gymnastics as a fighter, is a total waste of time. Using exercises like pull-ups. dips, push-ups etc. is one thing. Using rings etc as a tool for strength training...okay. But actually training in gymnastics...waste.

The second vid is one I've seen many times. The guy moves well...But again his skill-set shows that he is an outlier. Not everyone who plays around with tumbling moves this way.

Guys who move well are fun to watch, but they are not going to be able to get everyone else to move as they do.

TAKU

P.S. Mixed up Arthur KO with A.R.

^^ Haha  Figured as much about the confusion.  :)

I agree with you from a training perspective.  I wouldn't say total waste of time, but it's much easier to train somebody with conventional barbell/dumbell movements.  I'm speaking from a more hollistic/healthy guy perspective as I thought he was in the second vid.  The strength/control over your own body weight, the odd angles that strength is needed, the flexibility and mobility required to perform the movements injury free, and the awareness and balance you gain through gymnastics is useful.  Not everybody is going to be able to do the bowers he was doing in that vid (that movement where he went from cobra stretch to handstand and back in a smoothe movement) just like not everybody is going to squat 500 lbs.  However a person could benefit from doing an easier variation of the bower or squatting less.  Again, just my $.02.

Taku - 

For me, training in gymnastics as a fighter, is a total waste of time. Using exercises like pull-ups. dips, push-ups etc. is one thing. Using rings etc as a tool for strength training...okay. But actually training in gymnastics...waste.

The second vid is one I've seen many times. The guy moves well...But again his skill-set shows that he is an outlier. Not everyone who plays around with tumbling moves this way.

Guys who move well are fun to watch, but they are not going to be able to get everyone else to move as they do.

TAKU

P.S. Mixed up Arthur KO with A.R.

This times eleventy billion.

Gymnastics is cool as hell and I really enjoy watching it.  However, gymnastics is as much about specific skill as it is physical capability (from a GPP perspective).  Another way you could look at it would be to say it's a great way of expressing S&C as opposed to building it.

Not that you can't build S&C by doing gymnastics, but once you have a base-level of S&C that will allow you to do gymnastics style training, most of your activity is based around applying your S&C toward the skill(s) of performing gymnastics - not increasing your overall level of S&C.

Now, it depends on what you want to do.  If you're a regular guy with no (overly) specific goals that thinks that this gymnastics stuff is cool, and you've got appropriate amounts of relative strength and relative power (i.e. - strength and power as compared to your bodyweight), then go for it.  But if you're a fighter looking to improve your S&C for the sake of improving your fighting, then improve your S&C.  If you're not improving your S&C, then improve your fighting skills.

This kinda work is too heavy on the skill portion than the overall S&C portion.  If you're not gonna work your overall S&C, then spend your time improving your fighting skills instead of your gymnastics skills.

Wiggy - http://workingclassfitness.com/newsletter

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I really like some of the concepts he speaks about in the 2nd video and his movement is impressive. From a mobility standpoint some of the stuff he does would be great for fighters.

At the end of the day though, even in his own words, you have to work at that stuff for hours every day if you want to be great at it. I believe you could have success implementing some of these concepts and movements but overall, taking this approach as a whole would be a poor choice for an athlete.

Very cool.

I think his intent is to have a standalone system that prepares you for whatever you might try. He mentions climbing, jumping, martial arts and all kinds of things. As has been said, this isn't necessarily the best way to train for a competetive athlete, because it goes well beyond what you need to excel in a sport, and so may interfere with the progress of that sport.

But as is, it's pretty cool. I think he's right, people want to be able to do this stuff, which is why it's so interesting. Being able to move in your daily life with grace and power is impressive indeed, and a fair bit more interesting (and fun) to me than going to the gym and squatting.

It definitely echos some things i'd like to put to paper some day.

I think I should have added that I heard about him through the Steve Maxwell Mobility workshop where he mentioned something about his "dynamic health" concept (like AR said, holistic health), and mentioned Ido. I always think Ido Poriante (sp) the Israeli dude who fought Jake Shields in Elite XC, side note haha

Had to give you a VTFU today Arthur. Not going to lie, I had never heard of Ido before you posted this thread. Ive spent a decent bit of time listening to some of his lectures and reading up on some of his older blog posts over the past few weeks. He really gets it and he has some great philosophies on training.

I also have gotten some good info. Guy seems pretty inflexible though. One of those guys that has incredibly high standards for himself and applies them to everyone else. I wonder what his trainee dropout rate is like?

At Corean National Sports University, the wrestlers do lots of gymnastic tumbling. It's kinda crazy to see a room full of meathead wrestlers doing front round-offs into backflips all at the same time. They do tons of pull ups, rope climbs, duck walks, etc. As a layperson, I would say that grappling is the art of applying force against another person to manipulate them, while gymnastics is the art of applying force to yourself to manipulate your own body. It seems like there would be a ton of crossover. Sure, maybe you won't be doing one-handed handstands in a wrestling match, but I bet that type of strength makes someone enormously difficult to manipulate on the mat.

fos

. Phone Post

LiftStrong - Had to give you a VTFU today Arthur. Not going to lie, I had never heard of Ido before you posted this thread. Ive spent a decent bit of time listening to some of his lectures and reading up on some of his older blog posts over the past few weeks. He really gets it and he has some great philosophies on training.

thanks dude...

I think he's a bit dogmatic but guys like Rip are way "worse" in that regard, slacker.

Rip?