Problem with paying fighters to train

Lots of discussions on here about top fighters being paid to train at certain new gyms rather than the traditional method of training with a team and either paying to train or paying the gym a percentage of the fight purse after a fight.

Here are the problems as I see it.

First, fighters need leadership. Even if they are experienced they need someone telling what to do & when to do it, how to train, who to spar, what to avoid in their prepartion for an upcoming bout, what weight they should be three weeks before a fight, what strategy to use against a specific opponent.

Second, fighters usually only follow instructions or take advice from people who are also experienced fighters or if not fighters then at least very experienced martial arts experts with a proven track record of training champions. Fighters tend not to respect non fighters & are unlikely to follow orders or accept leadership from them.

Third, the rich people who can afford to pay fighters to come & train at their state of the art facility are unlikely to have the martial arts credentials mentioned above so its very likely they will be paying 'employees' who have no interest in following their instructions.

I foresee this will lead to messy training camps & previously successful fighters going on a losing streak before returning to their original team.

Alternatively it might all work out really well & change the landscape of mma & fighting sports forever.

What happens if those rich people who pay people to train also employ good coaches with decent martial arts backgrounds that are good leaders?

flemingo - What happens if those rich people who pay people to train also employ good coaches with decent martial arts backgrounds that are good leaders?

Would you pay the coach the same as the fighter or more?

Denis Kelly -
flemingo - What happens if those rich people who pay people to train also employ good coaches with decent martial arts backgrounds that are good leaders?

Would you pay the coach the same as the fighter or more?

In general - more on the basis that a coach trains more than one student. However you may pay a superstar/champion more than the coach.

I would imagine a baseball coach gets paid ok and probably more than a rookie player. But the big names probably get paid more? Phone Post 3.0