ProElite on Verge of New Deal With Showtime/CBS?

Exclusive: ProElite On the Verge of a New Broadcast Deal With CBS and Showtime

By Mike Russell

It looks like the proclamation UFC president Dana White made a few months ago that CBS will likely go head-to-head with his promotion again in the near future was right on the money.

Sources close to the promotion that was recently brought back from the verge of death by Stratus Media Group, who acquired a 95 percent ownership stake of the company in June, have informed CagePotato.com that ProElite is in the final stages of negotiations for a multi-year television deal with Viacom that will see its events broadcast on both Showtime and CBS starting in the first quarter of 2012.

read the rest here:

http://www.cagepotato.com/exclusive-proelite-on-the-verge-of-a-new-deal-with-cbs-and-showtime/

very interesting news, not that this should be a shock to anyone.. Showtime is certainly not done with MMA after Strikeforce and M-1

Pro-elite should stay the hell away from any business deal with M-1.

Every company M-1 has had their greedy fingers in has gone under.

This is the reason why Zuffa is crazy for cutting Fedor and the GG fighters.

Overreem/Fedor is a very marketable fight for CBS I would think.

^^^ ditto
hopefully onefc can also bring variety to mma

smth416 -  This is the reason why Zuffa is crazy for cutting Fedor and the GG fighters.

Overreem/Fedor is a very marketable fight for CBS I would think.

It has nothing to do with marketability and everything to do with both M-1 and GG having business practices that Zuffa doesnt agree with/want to work with.

excuse me- they are crazy for not finding a way to make a deal with GG happen, and not re-signing Fedor.

smth416 -  Overreem/Fedor is a very marketable fight for CBS I would think.

Is it ?

Multiple orgs at the top is bad for the sport due to fragmentation. There's a chance you won't see all the best fight each other.

DamnSevern - 
smth416 -  Overreem/Fedor is a very marketable fight for CBS I would think.

Is it ?

I'm not 100% sure on it. I think Fedor has a track record with the casual fan at this point. Overeem obviously does not.

I would think CBS could pull a few million viewers with this fight.

does that mean strikeforce deal is done?

jimbobyeaboy - I give it six months before Proelite and M1 co-promote and Fedor fights Arlovski.

Awesome. This is potentially huge news and its doesn't even make the UG main page over stuff like "where is Brittany Palmer??"

This is great for fighters and for fans. It increases the bargaining power of the fighters Showtime is interested in, and increases the bargaining power fans have with the Zuffa to provide only the best quality events.

UFC is always at their best when they face competition from Showtime.

LOL @ MMA journalism:

Update by Brent Brookhouse: TJ Thompson of ProElite refutes the claim on Twitter:

We have no imminent deal with Showtime/CBS. We @ProElitemma are not sure what "source" cage potato used but they were wrong.

mcpeepants232003 - 
smth416 -  excuse me- they are crazy for not finding a way to make a deal with GG happen, and not re-signing Fedor.

lol so they are crazy for not changing all their business practices and giving in to every demand M1 and GG make just to make one fight?

Yes because that's how a business should work.

I always find it funny to hear people constantly talk about how Zuffa needs to do this and needs to do that when all the orgs that do these things go broke in 18 months and then collapse.

Clearly Zuffa knows more about running an org than you do.
Youre right.

I guess I will re-phrase again and say its unfortunate that Golden Glory and M1 have such backwards business practices that a deal couldnt be done.

This might allow another show to have one huge fight on network TV that draws 5 million viewers. They will then most likely go bankrupt because they got ass raped by GG and M1.

Happy?

smoogy - 

This is potentially huge news and its doesn't even make the UG main page over stuff like "where is Brittany Palmer??"

UG News(All Zuffa All The Time) also chooses to barely cover Bellator.

Mike Straka alluded to something similar today on The MMA Hour, he claims that M-1 and ProElite maybe combine for Showtime or some shit, who knows

epwar - LOL @ MMA journalism:

Update by Brent Brookhouse: TJ Thompson of ProElite refutes the claim on Twitter:

We have no imminent deal with Showtime/CBS. We @ProElitemma are not sure what "source" cage potato used but they were wrong.

They're a publicly traded company, so this isn't a new tactic. Nobody wants to be accused of insider trading.

Wait and see.

@JoshGrossESPN

Josh Gross

@MMASupremacy @cagepotatommaGood report, heard the same yesterday. Seems the Aug. 27 event is important to finalizing the deal.

3 hours ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

ttt

Subd