Prof says Carson should receive "coon of the year

An Ivy League professor said that Ben Carson should win the "coon of the year" after the 2016 hopeful supported allowing Confederate flags at NASCAR events.

In a tweet sent out last Tuesday, University of Pennsylvania religious studies progress Anthea Butler, wrote "If only there was a 'coon of the year' award ..." when responding to Daily Beast editor-at-large Goldie Taylor's tweet containing a link to a Sports Illustrated article on the issue.

"Swastikas are a symbol of hate for some people too … and yet they still exist in our museums and places like that," Carson said during an event with Richard Petty in North Carolina last Monday. "If it's a majority of people in that area who want it to fly, I certainly wouldn't take it down."

Obviously, Butler disagreed with the famed neurosurgeon, who currently sits second in the Washington Examiner's latest power ranking, behind only Donald Trump.

Seems a bit uncouth

And here she is. I would have never guessed.  A racist teaching african american studies? You don't say.

These liberal profs are insane and so out of touch. Get a job in the private sector and see how far this assinine behavior get you.

The guy was a prestigious neurosurgeon and he has to worry about what Whoopi goldbergs retarted cousin has to say about him? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. Phone Post 3.0

Could you imagine the babies she could make with Al Sharpton? They'd come out racist and get worse as they got older.

Classy. Phone Post 3.0

Lol coon of the year

Carson would take it with pride while thanking his mastas Phone Post 3.0

I legit hate the fact that the word "coon" is becoming more en vogue to throw around. Hell I am black and don't like Carson, but he is far from being someone I would label a coon. It is used as a buzzword whenever someone isn't liked these days and shows ignorance.

Freedom of speech is racist!

Moon Cricket would have been much more appropriate

I thought people who used coon have all died of old age.

I thought coon was a pejorative for black.

Clearly it means something more.

What? Phone Post 3.0

freakin liberal arts professor going after one the top Neurosurgeons in the world. Idiot

ksacs revenge - Lol coon of the year

Carson would take it with pride while thanking his mastas Phone Post 3.0

It must chap your gaped ass no end that a respectable black man is a conservative.

Stay classy, Anthea!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

RoyalRailer - freakin liberal arts professor going after one the top Neurosurgeons in the world. Idiot

LOL

What really chaps my ass is that a respected neurosurgeon is a moron. Between that astoundingly dumb comparison, and his comments regarding religion, it's clear he's not very well rounded in his cognitive abilities. Phone Post 3.0

"Swastikas are a symbol of hate for some people too"

For some people?

Who are these people who don't think the swastika is a symbol of hate?

I don't think the good doctor has thought his position through.

He's basically taking the white nationalist line that the swastika can be flown with pride as a symbol of "German heritage."

Ay caramba.

Ari2 - I thought coon was a pejorative for black.

Clearly it means something more.

What? Phone Post 3.0

You aren't being serious, are you?

Clearly Randall has moved on to reclaiming more terms as non racist

I'll reserve my judgement until alternet puts the comments in the proper "context"