progression and goals

Many people grow frustrated in bjj because of slow rank, lack of perceived improvement and failure of instructors to recognize improvement or provide meaningful feedback. I had an idea over the week end that game progression could be evaluated and measured.

This would facilitate training focus, measuring and accomplishing goals. My idea is that you can score yourself on a scale of 1 to 100 in various areas to assess strengths, weaknesses and goals.

The system could consist of, as an example, belt equivalents to the score numbers.
The system could consist of, as an example, belt equivalents to the score numbers.
White to 20
Blue to 45
Purple to 70
Brown to 85
Black above 85

This, the belt equivalent, is only a general idea. Many factors exist in jiu jitsu progression. An absolute beginner would benefit most from evaluating progression on only a few areas-as all areas would have low scores.

Certain belt levels should devote greater amounts of time to certain tasks and attributes. As an example, white belt should be developing conditioning and escapes from bottom to a greater extent than flying triangles.

Competitors often do not require as great of breadth (large number) of techniques as they may require a high level of skill (depth) in a limited number of techniques. Therefore, your goal may not be to have a score of 50 in each technique.

The ability to utilize a technique against a resisting opponent of similar skill level is important and requires many factors beyond the mechanics of a certain move. Execution requires setups/timing, physical abilities, the mechanics of the move, and then transitions/follow ups to other techniques.

Different scores will occur in different areas. You could be a ranked blue belt, have a purple belt guard, blue belt escapes, white belt guard passing and conditioning. In other words, the scores are actually independent of your true rank. Your goal in this case may be to improve guard passing and conditioning. You could set a time frame and develop a plan for say 6 weeks to improve these areas and then reassess scores. Better yet, you could have your instructor or senior training partner assess your skills in certain areas.

TRAINING TASKS (can be much further broken down to specifics)
Takedown- outside shots
Distance
Level change
Penetration

Controlling tie ups

Takedowns
Double
High Crotch
Single
Bodylock
Sweeps
Hip throws
Sacrifice throws
Etc.

Defending Takedowns ...
Defending Guillotine

Bottom Escapes
Preventing a Pin
Posture and awareness
Hip movement
Escaping Subs

Positional/escaping types of control
Side
Cross face
Cross shoulder
Scissor Position
Modified Headlock
Mount
Rear Mount
All 4s/quarter position

Passing Guard
Posture and awareness
Positional/Passing various types of guard
Defending subs
Defending sweeps
Attacking legs

Guard
Control from various types of guards
Sweeps
Transitioning to another position
Subs
Elbow
Shoulder
Chokes
Legs

Top Control
Side
Cross face
Cross shoulder
Scissor Position
Modified Headlock
Mount
Rear Mount
All 4s/quarter position
Transitions from position
Subs from position

ETC.

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES
Conditioning
Flexibility
Coordination
Strength
Strength Endurance

"Many people grow frustrated in bjj because of slow rank, lack of perceived improvement and failure of instructors to recognize improvement or provide meaningful feedback."

Those sound like good reasons to find another instructor. Assuming that you've communicated those things to your instructor and they have not responded, why not find someone who will do a better job looking out for their students? I think you've waited long enough.

As far as your idea goes, I think most folks do this already. The instructor certainly knows that Johnny has a good guard, lousy top control, but a really tight armlock from side.

How to determine whether Johnny's guard is a 45 or 60 is the real question, which you haven't addressed.

- Kyle

Kyle,

I am not referring to my own progress as much as to the progress of my students and others. Although, this could benefit all people.

Do you really believe that individual students analyze their strengths and weaknesses, develop written goals and a written plan to accomplish those goals? I would be very surprised if anyone reading this has taken these actions. A high number of the posts on this board are about progress and rank. I believe that these actions would help many individuals.

This is the same model that I use in business. That is to analyze tasks, assign a current statistic to each task, develop a goal stat, a plan to achieve that goal, initiate plan and reassess periodically.

This sort of organization would help a student to develop without worrying so much about their own rank. In other words, they can help to direct their own progression.

I believe that many instructors may know the general strengths and weaknesses of each student, but fail to communicate them to the student, let alone helping the student develop a plan to change them. This would be problematic for the instructor, especially in larger schools.

The truth is that the student must also strongly participate in the process. I personally believe that just showing up to class and watching a few videos is not going to provide the fastest route to improvement in students. Those that do not set goals are those that become very frustrated. The more focused the goal and the plan, the higher the probability of achieving that goal.

BTW, How is NY treating you?

Marc

Marc,
Great post. Great tips for anyone to consider.

Hi Marc,

NY is treating me well. As for myself, I have done the kinds of analysis that you speak of. My instructor, Roy Harris, emphasizes that kind of thinking. And, as an instructor myself without regular access to equal or higher skilled training partners, I have to break it down in order to progress.

I wholeheartedly agree with your premise that the progress of the student is ultimately in the hands of the student.

- Kyle

"I wholeheartedly agree with your premise that the progress of the student is ultimately in the hands of the student."

Truer words have not been spoken on this forum in many moons!

~TT

Anyone interested should check out the articles section on www.austinjiujitsu.com . It sounds like those that have posted would really appreciate the reading. :-)

Especially the article "Train for yourself, not your Instructor"