Promotion in traditional self defense BJJ?

How is promotions handled in the more self defense oriented schools like Valente Bros., Kioto, Gracie Torrance? Is it a set number of techniques, certain amount of classes, time in grade, plus rolling skills? In the sport schools you know when your ready for the next rank because you can hang with that belt which to me seems easier, cleaner way to promote.

I know a few people that train/have trained at Valente Bros, unfortunately dont know much about their promo guidelines. I have noticed a wider range in skill level at each belt than at other schools. Meaning they have some pretty good browns/purples and some pretty poor browns/purples. Of course Im only judging from rolling with them. Im sure if we were on the street and I grabbed their collar a certain way my ass would be toast ;)

I do want to say I find it very sad that BJJ schools can be so easily divided into "self defense" and "sport" schools. Ideally a good school would encompass both aspects.

As soon as their check clears. Phone Post 3.0

for the blue belt its a set number of techniques with a set number of classes attended.   the purple and brown  belts are still evaluated like old school.

My instructor is a VB black belt. Do you think we don't roll at all or something? Do you think it's all standing self defense? Yes we do the SD curriculum. We also teach "sport" moves the same as any other BJJ school I've visited. For blue you have to know the 36 SD techniques, gun and knife defenses as well as the "sport" stuff.

angrypirate - My instructor is a VB black belt. Do you think we don't roll at all or something? Do you think it's all standing self defense? Yes we do the SD curriculum. We also teach "sport" moves the same as any other BJJ school I've visited. For blue you have to know the 36 SD techniques, gun and knife defenses as well as the "sport" stuff.

Trying reading the question. I was asking what are the promotion requirements. No one said any such thing you said. With that being said, usually SD schools roll about 1 or 2 belts below there sportive brother.

someone post the pic of the VB bb that has a karate gi on Phone Post 3.0

bmorela3 - someone post the pic of the VB bb that has a karate gi on Phone Post 3.0
Those aren't karate gis. They are made to the exact fit as Helio's gi. Phone Post 3.0

graciesrule - 
angrypirate - My instructor is a VB black belt. Do you think we don't roll at all or something? Do you think it's all standing self defense? Yes we do the SD curriculum. We also teach "sport" moves the same as any other BJJ school I've visited. For blue you have to know the 36 SD techniques, gun and knife defenses as well as the "sport" stuff.

Trying reading the question. I was asking what are the promotion requirements. No one said any such thing you said. With that being said, usually SD schools roll about 1 or 2 belts below there sportive brother.

My bad bruh I was practicing head lock excapes whilst reading that. It sucks to those guys then. Guys that have left the gym a blue were promoted to purple sooner than guys that stuck around, and they still get beat by their peers when they visit.

bmorela3 - someone post the pic of the VB bb that has a karate gi on Phone Post 3.0

Yeah he made a comment about my HCK gi collar being too thick and not "realistic". I said I don't buy my kimonos @ baby GAP.

graciesrule - 

i disagree with that statement about sd defense schools roll about 1 or 2 belts below the sport guys.  (okay...not the new blue belt.....thats been debated to death)   but after 2 stripes on the blue belt its pretty much even.    i give the judo grips advantage to the sport guys,  but thats stand up.   i give the the punch block defense to the self defense guys.....so its pretty much a wash.  

this is assuming that a black belt is teaching all classes.......not the blue belt ctc thing.

angrypirate - My instructor is a VB black belt. Do you think we don't roll at all or something? Do you think it's all standing self defense? Yes we do the SD curriculum. We also teach "sport" moves the same as any other BJJ school I've visited. For blue you have to know the 36 SD techniques, gun and knife defenses as well as the "sport" stuff.
Those guys were nice to me when I went but one of them explained to me (this was 2006) that they only did one day a week of rolling and every single class through the rest of the week was drilling only. So I'm sure there are ppl that think not much rolling is done over there...which isn't a bad thing...I personally would enjoy being caught up to date on how things are done at that academy....which is the nicest one I've ever set foot in. Phone Post 3.0

Stymie -
bmorela3 - someone post the pic of the VB bb that has a karate gi on Phone Post 3.0
Those aren't karate gis. They are made to the exact fit as Helio's gi. Phone Post 3.0
They give you better leverage I hear Phone Post 3.0

I hear the same. Live rolling once a week at a lot of those places.

Self defense. To me is usually up to blue belt.

Seems to excel in bjj past purple you need to be good at sport jiu jitsu. IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Gracie Miami has dedicated sparring classes, not sure how many times a week now.

We roll every class. Like I said before there is almost no difference in other schools I've been to. Warmup, takedowns, technique, drill, roll, consume flesh of Helio and bow out.

Markus Barrett - 
graciesrule - 

i disagree with that statement about sd defense schools roll about 1 or 2 belts below the sport guys.  (okay...not the new blue belt.....thats been debated to death)   but after 2 stripes on the blue belt its pretty much even.    i give the judo grips advantage to the sport guys,  but thats stand up.   i give the the punch block defense to the self defense guys.....so its pretty much a wash.  

this is assuming that a black belt is teaching all classes.......not the blue belt ctc thing.

This is true of the Gracie Academy in Torrance at least. We recently got a new purple belt thanks to 12 inviting them for a free month (I can't remember his UG name) and he confirmed belt levels are pretty even after a couple of stripes on the blue. I drop in at other schools all the time, and I can hold my own with the non-world champion blue belts at this point.

As to the promotion question, everything after the blue belt is like other schools, no testing in the school itself. Belt promotions only happen at ceremonies twice a year though, with few exceptions.

"We recently got a new purple belt thanks to 12 inviting them for a free month (I can't remember his UG name) and he confirmed belt levels are pretty even after a couple of stripes on the blue. I drop in at other schools all the time, and I can hold my own with the non-world champion blue belts at this point."

and the guy is an asset to the academy,he will bring a different style for you guys to learn from when sparring.

you wont stop it if you never seen it

FatFrenchFry -
Stymie -
They give you better leverage I hear Phone Post 3.0
I bought one last time I was at Gracie Miami. Not only do I have better leverage, I am super fertile and have fathered 8 or 9 kids. I'm building an army.
Seriously, it is the most comfortable gi I own. Phone Post 3.0

bjh13 -
Markus Barrett - 
graciesrule - 

This is true of the Gracie Academy in Torrance at least. We recently got a new purple belt thanks to 12 inviting them for a free month (I can't remember his UG name) and he confirmed belt levels are pretty even after a couple of stripes on the blue. I drop in at other schools all the time, and I can hold my own with the non-world champion blue belts at this point.

As to the promotion question, everything after the blue belt is like other schools, no testing in the school itself. Belt promotions only happen at ceremonies twice a year though, with few exceptions.
I'm the purple belt in question and yes, past the brand new blues, purples felt like purples, browns felt like browns and black certainly felt like black :) Phone Post 3.0