Proof MMA is safer than boxing

Check out this link for a comprehensive list of boxing fatalitys.

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_b_0700.htm

theres only 200+ boxing bouts on average per day worldwide........

wow

On a per capita average there's still way more deaths in boxing.

It's an utterly fantastic correlation to boxing and should be used regularly.

boxing= hundreds of punches to another guys head, standing 8 counts, etc

its danegerous

On a per capita average there's still way more deaths in boxing

No doubt.  But deaths are a  shitty way to justiufy the existence of MMA.  Its like saying do coke because meth is more addicting.

"From: Oddessa

+BetOddessa.com, Offshore Consultant
Date: 05/04/06 09:01 PM
5936 Total Posts Ignore User

On a per capita average there's still way more deaths in boxing

No doubt. But deaths are a shitty way to justiufy the existence of MMA. Its like saying do coke because meth is more addicting."

This is an excellent post all the way around.

OK Im stupid thats fine. There has been 1 fatality in MMA ever compared to a lot in boxing. You are right that the # of bouts is different but I believe the statistics will say the same thing when and if MMA catches up with boxing in popularity worldwide and frequency.

"A lot of MMA fans tend to suffer from the "2nd Best" syndrome with boxing"

What do you mean? Boxing isn't even 2nd best. It's less entertaining these days than rugby, soccer, World Series of Poker and even darts.

dont thin anyone meant to call u stupid.  I actually found the document interesting. You are correct about the deaths in boxing and mma. Sad but true downside of both sports.

Its all kool.

The frequency of fatalities climbing stairs and taking showers is much higher then boxing... but I hope everyone keeps taking showers.

It's less entertaining these days than rugby, soccer, World Series of Poker and even darts.

Now that I can call stupid........... When's last time any of above did large PPV w/ exception of soccer?

The frequency of fatalities climbing stairs and taking showers is much higher then boxing... but I hope everyone keeps taking showers.

lol

"but I believe the statistics will say the same thing when and if MMA catches up with boxing in popularity worldwide and frequency."

Nah. As long as there's small gloves, and 'tapping out' there will never be as many deaths than in the overly maschismo never say quit attitude that is perpetuated in boxing.

Comparisons make the world go round. Competition is basically comparisons for adults. Don't be naive.

related article............

Center devoted to Combat Sports!
Will Research Tough Questions

May 4, 2006

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis and renowned trainer Teddy Atlas are pulling no punches in backing the newly formed Combat Sports Center for Safety and Research (CSCSR). "I'm excited about being apart of this groundbreaking initiative. The research is important for the sport and will ensure the future safety of boxers," notes Lewis.

The CSCSR has been created to promote safety and awareness in sports such as boxing and mixed martial arts. Safety decisions in combat sports must be made on the basis of hard data rather than guesswork. This will be accomplished by conducting in-depth research, providing educational material and training, and promoting safe practices.

cont......... http://www.fightnews.com/1142.htm

MMA Rep there.......

Randy Couture is the only athlete to have held championship titles in the heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Randy spent 6 years in the US army, then attended and graduated from Oklahoma State University with a degree in foreign languages and literature. He then worked as an assistant wrestling coach for Oregon State University before entering the UFC at age 34. He was a three-time Olympic team alternate (1988, 1992, and 1996); a semifinalist at the 2000 Olympics Trials; a three-time National Collegiate Athletic Association All American; and a four-time NCAA finalist. In his UFC career of 14 wins, he holds wins over Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, and Mike Van Arsdale. After retiring in 2006, Randy continues in the sport as trainer and advisor for Team Quest.

" "but I believe the statistics will say the same thing when and if MMA catches up with boxing in popularity worldwide and frequency."
Nah. As long as there's small gloves, and 'tapping out' there will never be as many deaths than in the overly maschismo never say quit attitude that is perpetuated in boxing.

Comparisons make the world go round. Competition is basically comparisons for adults. Don't be naive. "

Pulsar my good friend, I think you misunderstood my post. What I was trying to say was that even if there were equal amounts of fights in boxing and MMA that boxing would still have way more fatalitys.

ive seen many TELEVISED fatalities watching boxing over the years

two that come to mind are beethoven scotland on espn and randy carter on fox

boxing fans crack me up..ya those stats that point out how many people die per boxing and how many people don't die per year in mma are pretty hard to understand..!!..idiot..I'm mean typical boxing fan=drain bead..

You mean getting tagged by a few shots,getting taken down and submitted is less harmful than taking 150 solid body shots and 100 head shots in a single fight? Unbelievable.

boxing fans crack me up..ya those stats that point out how many people die per boxing and how many people don't die per year in mma are pretty hard to understand..!!..idiot..I'm mean typical boxing fan=drain bead.."

Wow so since people die in boxing typical boxing fans are brain dead... interesting.

So by your logic, motorcycle racing fans = brain dead, bowling fans... smarter then MMA fans.

Football fans brain dead, curling fans... smarter then MMA fans.

Skiing fans bran Dead, dungeons and dragons fans... smarter then MMA fans.

I didn't know the criteria for determining intellignece was how many people died competing in the sports a person liked to watch.

Crap I am really one dumb bastard, because people have died in almost every sport I like to watch.