Proof Rafa is the GOAT

Wins: 93

-59 of those by submission

Losses: 7 

-0 by submission

-1 by DQ

-4 by decisions (could be argued either way)

-1 by advantage 

-ONLY 1 was by points which was back in 2008 when he fought Cobrhina for the first time at only 19

Tell me who else has won multiple world championships and has literally only 1 definitive loss (when he first got his black belt) and has never been submitted

triforce -

Wins: 93

-59 of those by submission

Losses: 7 

-0 by submission

-1 by DQ

-4 by decisions (could be argued either way)

-1 by advantage 

-ONLY 1 was by points which was back in 2008 when he fought Cobrhina for the first time at only 19

Tell me who else has won multiple world championships and has literally only 1 definitive loss (when he first got his black belt) and has never been submitted

Roger 

Fuck u bro.

jiujitsu’s Joel Osteen.

weird ass mendes bros.

Mike Wazowski -

Fuck u bro.

jiujitsu’s Joel Osteen.

weird ass mendes bros.

Don't even compare the two

Using their names in the same sentence implies Joel Osteen has done anything significant or impactful in his field. Nothing even close to the level of Rafa

I won’t argue too hard with anyone that says Rafa is the GOAT. He’s one of the best to ever step on a mat. A couple of those decisions could not have gone the other way though. For example his loss to Cobrinha at ADCC 2013 was definitive despite the points being even. Same goes for one of his losses to Tanquinho. All of that’s beside the point though. Like I said. I wouldn’t really argue with anyone that says Rafa is the best ever.

I do think it’s fair to say that featherweight during his run was not as deep as some other divisions. There have also been champions that have sustained similar levels dominance in their divisions for longer periods of time.

It gets into the weeds though. Rafa is totally amazing and I miss seeing him compete.

It’s a shame that the IBJJF never started an absolute division for lighter guys... maybe middleweight and under. That could’ve lead to some amazing matches. Rafa Mendes vs. Lucas Lepri in the gi would’ve been some mind blowing shit. At this point they’re both far too established and would have too much to lose for us to ever see it happen unfortunately. We need one of the sheikhs to throw some serious coin at these two!

Many will disagree but I think whoever wins the absolute category should actually just be considered the best. In nearly any other sport, other than combat sports, every position is “absolute.” Whoever gets the position is the best, regardless of height, weight, age. No handicap like weight classes. That’s where this pound for pound nonsense comes into discussion and distorts things.

I kind of think of it like if there was a height class for pro basketball. I think you would find loads of incredibly talented basketball players that play shooting guard with a height class of -6ft, let’s say. But, in an absolute setting, these players wouldn’t even be visible. I sort of see bjj stars like this too, for basically anything under middle weight. Obviously with few exceptions, but just that - exceptions.

SpeedKing9 - Many will disagree but I think whoever wins the absolute category should actually just be considered the best. In nearly any other sport, other than combat sports, every position is "absolute." Whoever gets the position is the best, regardless of height, weight, age. No handicap like weight classes. That's where this pound for pound nonsense comes into discussion and distorts things.

I kind of think of it like if there was a height class for pro basketball. I think you would find loads of incredibly talented basketball players that play shooting guard with a height class of -6ft, let’s say. But, in an absolute setting, these players wouldn’t even be visible. I sort of see bjj stars like this too, for basically anything under middle weight. Obviously with few exceptions, but just that - exceptions.

http://bjjmississauga.com/the-clear-p4p-bjj-king/
The real litmust test is GANE..  that is something that goes past wins or losses in matches and as a guy wathcing BJJ avidly since the mid 90's in the paqueta days i can honestly say we havent seen anyone doing what he does vs that level of competition.

super efficient on offense and defense and operatesd at speeds way ahead of the curve

check out this link for videoe in particular the cobrinha back take + that insane triangle vs moizinho in ACB about 2 years back

http://bjjmississauga.com/the-clear-p4p-bjj-king/

lol at anyone claiming anyone other than Roger is the GOAT. GTFO w that mess.

My main gripe is that he rarely if ever competed in the absolute at the World's.

Royler stepped in that absolute division once or twice in years past against the big dogs and he was close to their size.

Roger is GOAT
SlapUsilly - 
My main gripe is that he rarely if ever competed in the absolute at the World's.

Royler stepped in that absolute division once or twice in years past against the big dogs and he was close to their size.

Roger is GOAT

I believe when Royler did it, the absolute division was after weight divisions. Makes a big difference imo.

Hard to argue against Roger. He cemented it even more after crushing Buchecha and riding off into the sunset. 

SlapUsilly - 

Roger is GOAT

I came on to mention Royler and absolutes.

RAFA is still one of the GOATS in his weight division.

In absolute, Roger all day.

Always will be a question of how good jacare could have been if he hadn't moved to MMA.

He won the mundials at his weight and absolute at Brown belt in 2003.

The next year gold in the absolutes (silver at his weight class).

The next year gold in both.

After that he stopped full time training in BJJ didn't he?

Is he the lightest guy to ever win the mundials in the absolute division at black belt?

Roger is the most formidable in terms of being able to do the same basic thing to everyone he fights. It’s amazing to watch him. 

Pound for pound Rafa is GOAT

hell I will still put Bruno Malfacine ahead of him in terms of pound for pound greatness. As he was always a constant finisher and has more world titles and has competed in absolutes aplenty. Rafa deserves to be looked at as one of the GOATs but because of his flashy style to me he gets too much accolade.

JCT - 
SlapUsilly - 

Roger is GOAT

I believe when Royler did it, the absolute division was after weight divisions. Makes a big difference imo.

Yea, now nobody has the "I was tired from my divsion" excuse. Works both ways.

I know the mendes brothers reasoning is that they care about winning their division primarily, but you can't avoid the absolute and be considered the GOAT when it comes to competition if you don't even go into it.  

SlapUsilly - 
JCT - 
SlapUsilly - 

Roger is GOAT

I know the mendes brothers reasoning is that they care about winning their division primarily, but you can't avoid the absolute and be considered the GOAT when it comes to competition if you don't even go into it.  

That was always my problem with Rafa. He was always more concerned with selling his brand than he was anything else. The difference in mentality between him and guys like Marcelo, Gordon, Cobrinha, Terere, Margarida is huge.

In my opinion, Roger and Marcelo are both above him in the rankings.

Soul Gravy -
SlapUsilly - 
JCT - 
SlapUsilly - 

Roger is GOAT

That was always my problem with Rafa. He was always more concerned with selling his brand than he was anything else. The difference in mentality between him and guys like Marcelo, Gordon, Cobrinha, Terere, Margarida is huge.

In my opinion, Roger and Marcelo are both above him in the rankings.

Any of those dudes would’ve done the same thing had Pat Tenore jumped at the them don’t you think? It was a great opportunity to build a strong life for themselves after competitive BJJ. With the younger belts they’re producing, it’s hard to argue against their brand. But I get your point. 

ive never seen footage of rafa in trouble? no being forced to turtle or nearly have his back taken… just surgical dominance against the best of his time… its really hard to speak against it without adding outside aspects like branding or absolutes

many of the guys listed great as they are have been tapped by guys at weight and have rivals… this guys none… at all