Proper way to disconnect flash

I think I read somewhere that if you disconnect your flash drive/usb driven device without going through the proper procedure, that you can crash your computer. What is the proper way to disconnect my peripherals (wireless mouse, flash drive, mp3 player)from my usb port without doing damage to my computer???

Down by the clock in the system try (those little icons there) when you plug in something you'l get that little box with the green arro over it. Double click that, from the window that opens up select the item you want to stop (it might just show generic USB information). When you click stop another window will open up with more information about the item, if that's what you want to stop click OK. It should then stop/disconnect the item from Windows (it'll give you an error message if the device can't be stopped).

However, USB was designed to let you plug in and unplug things while it's on, so the chance of damaging your computer is very little. Sometimes if you just unplug something like a USB flash drive, you'll get a warning message that says you didnt' follow the proper procedure and that it could damage the item, etc etc etc. Win2k did this. However there was an interview with someone high up from microsoft and the person asked them about the message and why it's no longer in WinXP, the person said that as long as the item isn't in use by the system that disconnecting it poses such a little threat that they didn't feel it was worth keeping a major warning message to the user. Which is why the warning isn't part of WinXP. However, the key thing is to make sure the drive/item is no longer in use or going to be used

lol at people who 'stop' their flash drive before removing it or 'shut down' their computer instead of just switching the power off.

Fanks! I needed that.

"lol at people who 'stop' their flash drive before removing it or 'shut down' their computer instead of just switching the power off."

I've never had a bad restart after cold reboots..

I unplug the computer from the wall to shutdown and then remove my flash drive