Pro's Picks - Shogun vs Hendo

Shogun vs Hendo

This fight is Fireworks. Both guys like bang. Hendo lately has been all about the H-Bomb – for those that don’t know the H-Bomb is Hendo’s right hand. When he lands this weapon it’s all over. He’s had a lot of success lately. He now uses his wrestling more to keep or get back to his feet rather than for takedowns to work his GnP. He definitely keeps fights exciting with this strategy. Shogun is all about finishing. He always works to end the match whether it is via KO or Submission. He has the ability to do it all. When Shogun is on, he has a great ability to miss up his striking, wrestling and grappling.  Hendo was the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion. Hendo was the UFC Middleweight Tournament champion, the Pride Welterweight & Middleweight (same as UFC LHW) Champion – titles which he held concurrently as well as the Pride Welterweight Tournament Champion. His record is 28-8. Shogun was the Pride Middleweight Tournament Champion and was also the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. Shoguns record is 20-5.

Both fighters have an abundance of KO & TKO victories on their record and both have the recently so you know there will be fireworks standing. Though Shogun has some submission victories his strength is still his striking. Dan’s losses have been to either submissions or decisions, he hasn’t been TKOed yet. Shogun does have some TKO losses as well as decision and submission losses.

This is a very tough match to call. Dan has shown and iron chin. He has fought some of the biggest names in the sport, on his titles alone he should be the favourite. He has a great record only losing to some of the biggest names in the sport. Shogun has shown to be extremely tough as well. He’s had some serious titles as well. He has also faced some of the biggest names in the sport and his losses are also to some of the biggest names. Both guys are extremely dangerous and have some great skills.

I could very easily sit on the fence and point out that this fight could go either way and the reality is it could go either way. I could envision Dan landing the H-Bomb and going in for the kill and then being pulled off by the Ref. I could see Shogun doing the same thing or even dropping for a leg locking and catching Dan off guard. Both guys have the ability to win this fight. I’m not going to sit on the fence though. I’m going to pick Shogun for this match. Shogun always comes back stronger after a loss. He also has a wider range of tools, punches, kicks, knees and submissions at his disposal. Dan has the H-Bomb, though extremely devastating if it lands, it is only one weapon to avoid. I think Shogun will avoid the H-Bomb and out strike Dan by mixing it up. I think with Dan’s iron chin this is going to be a decision victory.

Elvis

Goosebumps

I think with 5 rounds, there is little chance of this going the distance. 

Have to go with Shogun for being better standing and FAR better on the ground, both with subs and GnP. Dan has never been any kind of a threat on the ground, so his only hope is to land a big shot standing. Not impossible since Shogun can tend to brawl at times, but Shogun has a good chin of his own -- and if Machida's lasers didn't find it, it's tough to see Dan doing it.

I also expect Shogun to take Dan down.

I'm going with Shogun, most likely by submission, but I can also see a (T)KO.

Want shogun but think dan takes it Phone Post

I also think both fighters are aware of the danger their opponents present and they may play it more cautiously in the earlier rounds. I also think Shogun will look for the takedown (as he mixes it up more) but Dan has also shown good submission defence (eg vs Paul Harris) and the ability to go 5 rounds (eg vs Rampage). I was thinking that Shogun would finish it but the more I thought about it the more I realised Shogun beats people up standing and Dan has displayed an iron chin and a great ability to recover so that had me leaning towards a decision.

Elvis

Good read again Elvis.......one of these fights I can't wait for but want no one to lose.

Shogun via kicks to the body and top control, breaking down Hendo for a gnp TKO

or Hendo via H-Bomb....I can't call it!!!!

It should be a fun fight to watch!

I like hendo, buy often bet against him, and always lose so this time I'm going with him, just because. Phone Post

RJJH - 

Hendo has gas for days .

I'm not so sure about that. Yeah his gas tank is better at 205 than at 185, but it's still a question mark for me.

Elvis - I always hear your posts like they're being read by Mark 'Jacko' Jackson.

That is all. Phone Post

Rua By more Tools..His chin is as good as Dan's, his KO Power is as Good as Dan's but he has many more tools as other posters have stated. Rua will mix things up and confuse Hendo...as far as Dan his game plan has not changed in years, Rua will be ready.

ttt

Elvis! I always appreciate your perspective. I don't want to derail this thread but I just have to ask two questions:

1)Are you getting any royalty checks for when Titanic 3D comes out?

2) When are we gonna see The Phantom sequel?!

going with Shogun in this  as well.

Im leaning towards Dan because of his durability and conditioning.If Dan can land some meaningful shots early,and avoid damage while Shogun is fresh,i think Dans going to take this.I also dont see Shogun subbing Dan,if Palhares couldn't do it.

On the other hand,it wouldnt suprise me if Dan got tko'd being overly aggressive(Shogun is Shogun).If this doesnt happen within the first 2 rounds,i dont see it happening at all,and thats why im picking Dan who also has his wrestling to fall back on,if he so chooses so.

Id be careful early on if i was Hendo,but not hesitant.Use the wrestling and clinching to wear him down some,and not just get into a careless slugfest which puts his chances at 50/50 or less.

orcus -  I think with 5 rounds, there is little chance of this going the distance. 

Have to go with Shogun for being better standing and FAR better on the ground, both with subs and GnP. Dan has never been any kind of a threat on the ground, so his only hope is to land a big shot standing. Not impossible since Shogun can tend to brawl at times, but Shogun has a good chin of his own -- and if Machida's lasers didn't find it, it's tough to see Dan doing it.

I also expect Shogun to take Dan down.

I'm going with Shogun, most likely by submission, but I can also see a (T)KO.

Several of Dan's last fights have been finished on the ground, including the time he knocked out Fedor. Most finishes started on the feet, but his explosive G&P has been impressive.

"Shogun beats people up standing"

He has also clean KO'd Arona and Alistair x2 on the ground.

"
Several of Dan's last fights have been finished on the ground, including the time he knocked out Fedor."

When he finishes guys on the ground, it's because he knocked them down standing and then followed up. He doesn't take guys down and then do anything meaningful on the ground, is what I meant. If either guy drops the other standing, a finish is likely to follow.

orcus -  "Shogun beats people up standing"

He has also clean KO'd Arona and Alistair x2 on the ground.

"
Several of Dan's last fights have been finished on the ground, including the time he knocked out Fedor."

When he finishes guys on the ground, it's because he knocked them down standing and then followed up. He doesn't take guys down and then do anything meaningful on the ground, is what I meant. If either guy drops the other standing, a finish is likely to follow.

We have no disagreements, then. I did qualify my statement that the finishes (except Fedor) started with a shot on the feet.