Pro's Picks - Shogun vs Hendo

Always a fun read....

Thanks Elvis!!

Reckoner - HRT can only get you so far. Shogun by TKO.

Really? So, the implication is that Hendo has only accomplished what he has because of HRT? Ridiculous. Phone Post

If Shogun can keep this one on the outside, he wins (or there is too a chance he gets HBombed).

If Dan can keep this one in the clinch and on the mats, he wins.

I think Dan will be able to grind out a win.

That said, no one really knows, which is why you have the fight :-)

orcus -  I think with 5 rounds, there is little chance of this going the distance. 

Have to go with Shogun for being better standing and FAR better on the ground, both with subs and GnP. Dan has never been any kind of a threat on the ground, so his only hope is to land a big shot standing. Not impossible since Shogun can tend to brawl at times, but Shogun has a good chin of his own -- and if Machida's lasers didn't find it, it's tough to see Dan doing it.

I also expect Shogun to take Dan down.

I'm going with Shogun, most likely by submission, but I can also see a (T)KO.

This exactly Phone Post

wiggum - 
orcus -  "<span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: small; ">Shogun beats people up standing"

He has also clean KO'd Arona and Alistair x2 on the ground.

"</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: small; ">Several of Dan's last fights have been finished on the ground, including the time he knocked out Fedor."
</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: small; ">
When he finishes guys on the ground, it's because he knocked them down standing and then followed up. He doesn't take guys down and then do anything meaningful on the ground, is what I meant. If either guy drops the other standing, a finish is likely to follow.

<br type="_moz" /></span>

We have no disagreements, then. I did qualify my statement that the finishes (except Fedor) started with a shot on the feet.

Both the Fedor and Babalu stoppages were off scrambles from the feet to the ground. No less legit but the point that myself and Orcus have been making forever is that iirc Dan has never had much of a ground attack/GNP when starting off fresh off a td in full guard for example. I believe Dan already hurt Babalu standing and he def caught Fedor standing first before the fight went to the ground.

Having said that, I doubt Shogun submits Dan unless he hurts him first ala Andy.

Kirik - 
If Dan can keep this one in the clinch and on the mats, he wins.

I'm actually interested if they do clinch, kinda like it woulda been interesting to see Randy and Wand in the clinch, top notch Greco vs MT clinch games.

On the mat though, again, what can Dan do to Shogun (if he doesnt hurt him standing first)? Has there been any fight in Dan's career where he had some significant ground offense on a fresh opponent on the ground?

If Shogun gets Dan down (without Dan really hurt), Dan is very hard to hold down (even when he's hurt).

If Dan gets Shogun down (without Shogun really hurt), I see Shogun's guard being too active for Dan to do anything.

orcus -  I think with 5 rounds, there is little chance of this going the distance. 

Have to go with Shogun for being better standing and FAR better on the ground, both with subs and GnP. Dan has never been any kind of a threat on the ground, so his only hope is to land a big shot standing. Not impossible since Shogun can tend to brawl at times, but Shogun has a good chin of his own -- and if Machida's lasers didn't find it, it's tough to see Dan doing it.

I also expect Shogun to take Dan down.

I'm going with Shogun, most likely by submission, but I can also see a (T)KO.<br type="_moz" />

I'm interested to see what both guys strategies will be. Of course, there will be firework sooner or later but I think Shogun will best be served to pick off Dan from distance early on. I cant see Dan having an answer for that unless he really just tries to press the brawl.

Good point Machida's lasers not finding its target on Shogun. Shogun's defense has improved though against Forrest he still looked a bit open though not sure if that's because he didnt respect Forrest's power.

Also, Machida throws the straight down the pipe, Dan's is more of an overhand right and is a bit more unpredictable in some ways compared to the somewhat orthodox nature Machida chooses to throw it?

Either way, other than the clinch game and brawl - where anything can happen, Shogun only has to really watch out for the right hand. Dan has to watch out for punches, kicks, and the combo's of both.

Lastly, Shogun has yet to resurface his clinch. It would be ironic if it were to return in his match vs a Greco Olympian.

Hyped for this one.

Shogun is the fav imo.

ttt

groundfighter2000 - Elvis! I always appreciate your perspective. I don't want to derail this thread but I just have to ask two questions:

1)Are you getting any royalty checks for when Titanic 3D comes out?

2) When are we gonna see The Phantom sequel?!

Sadly I thought Titanic would be a flop so I went with up front rather than royalties!

I've been pushing the studios for the sequel but they're saying we've got a super hero over indulgence. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed.

Wasa-b -"Lastly, Shogun has yet to resurface his clinch. It would be ironic if it were to return in his match vs a Greco Olympian."

I recall him using some clinch and doing some damage to Coleman from there in their ufc fight. Phone Post

Sometime in the third minute of the second round:

BOOM!

Dan Henderson KOs Shogun with a HUGE right.

Just a guess.  ;)

ttt

Man that fight was awesome. So close. I thought Shogun might get in the last round but Dan did a great job to hold on and not give up.

I was suprised Shogun didn't use more kicks... actually Dan used his inside round kick to set up his H-Bomb. I think Shogun lost his momentum in the first few rounds due to the big shot he took from Dan when he tried to mix it up by shooting in, but Dan picked it.

Still was a great fight.

Elvis