Protein powder?

yes and I've competed and placed forth in a provincial event 4 years ago, so who cares what your background is. Who cares what mine is. You are trying to tell the guy to take things that slow his digestion. Why would he want that, please explain the benefits of slower absorbtion. Why would he want lower insulin levels at this time after training? Go ask your IFBB pro friends about insulin and how its more powerful than steroids. Go read what insulin does and how it can kill you if you miss use it. It's dangerous for morons but Humulin R sells at Jean-Coutu for about 11-15$ over the counter, just walk in and ask next time your are in a pharmacy. If you can comprehend how insulin is the most powerful thing out there in the world of bodybuilding then we'll talk. HOWEVER...Hell I'll even give you mine in my fridge, its not used...just pick up a bag of pins and I'll give it to you so you can use it with your muscle milk. There is a reason why there is a misconception that doing insulin makes you fat. It is because idiots consume fat and too much carbs after working out when taking shots.

Fact is muscle milk is cheap for a reason, because its garbage. Don't try to sell that stuff to me. I said it would make you fat if you crammed the stuff after working out(and you are trying to bulk, not diet). If you use it in your diet to have certain calories than that is different. We are talking pure post-workout shake. Stick to the guys questions. Don't hi jack the thread.

Dextrose is high on the GI scale and with good reason. It gets absorbed extremely fast and enters your bloodstream quicker than sucrose, glucose or fructose. Mixed with protein, you are getting your starved cells the needed attention they need. The faster they get their food the more they grow.

I'm not going to come back to this thread because I don't have time to educate people on my opinions.

Go to www.t-mag.com *They are dorks and bio-test is a BS company, but they always have decent articles if you can read past the BS.

Go to www.anabolex.com where there are quite a few IFBB pro's posting there if you want info for questions and opinions. Or Go to ripped Canadians...

The information is out there, but you just remind me of this friend I know. Someone tells them their opinion and then you argue it to death becoming a Knight of 'misinformation'.

Knowledge is power.

PEACE

"I heard/read that it was 1-2 grams of protein per 1 lb. of body weight (basically for those who weight train). I don't know about the different types of training though (wouldn't it be the same regardless just b/c you're breaking down muscle while working out?)...perhaps you can school me? Where'd you read up on this? "

1.5 to 2 grams of protein to body pound...This is total calorie intake for the day... like you way 200 lbs you shoot for 350g/400g of protein a day.

This whole thread is about post-workout protein shakes...

Devious1, dont take those comments seriuosly. I see that yo have alot of info to give.
Where and what do you train in mma?

"Devious1 seems too have the most complete info...where do you train Devious1? very well informed!! "

Used to train at Caruso's Gym (Gym Zone) at Decarie under Maurice Legault (former Mr. Canada, Mr. Quebec, etc).

"you know i take classes in this stuff, im a personal trainer and protein is one of the most overinduced of all heres what weve learnded and it might help you out, for a normal average day joe that doesnt work out like the general population your body regirues a minumium of 0.80 grams per kilogram of body weight most pepolehave no problem meeting this requriment without supplementation. for a strength trainer like your friend who body builds the reqiurements are higher at 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight for endurance athletes such as us fighters you should be in the range of 1.2-1.6 grams of proteins per kilogram of body weight. most canadians eat 1 to 1and a half time the minmuum reqirement and what happends to all the extra proiten intake? yep it is wasted and stored as fat and isnt readiy accesible for energy use , good question i hope i could shine some light on the subject Chris ade "

You are totally brainwashed by the FDA's suggested diet. First of all, you can't eat enough protein to get fat. You crap it out, your body doesn't turn it into fat. It is the carbs and saturated fats that make you fat. It is not eating enough calories a day and trying to lose weight. People need about 2200+ calories a day. Go use www.fitday.com .

You sound like a Nautilus Plus trainer...

LOL at protein making you fat...holy crap that is the stupidest shit I've read in a long time. Sorry for the profanity but i believe it is called for.

Arrrrrrrrrrrr! Off the plank ya wankers...let the sharks get at ya.... hah hah hah

keep it up Deviuos1 with the real info! Im thinking of training at Club Kozak in sambo, as I used to do judo and sambo before.new to this city.

Richard I only came back to respond to you...

email me at bootrix2@yahoo.com and I'll talk with ya...

Now I'm gone before these fairies figure out who I am and lobby outside my house...

Uh, this is my problem. I keep getting about a dozen DIFFERENT suggestions on what to do. I'm pretty confused. I just want something to start with. Maybe later I can start altering more of my diet.

I am 5'8", 146lbs, and I am looking for a post-workout shake that will help me. ( I would think that it would have to be a protein base) I wouldn't mind also hearing about a PRE-workout drink as well. ( I am thinking this would be more carb based)

Thanx.

Dougie...you can do what Devious suggested, what I suggested or what Chris suggested. It's all opinion and everyone has had different experiences w/ different supplements. You could even ask ppl from the place you train what they use and why. Get feedback on certain supplements from various individuals before you decide what you want to do. And keep in mind that some supplements work well for some, while another supplement may be more favourable for others.

And if you want a suggestion for a good post-workout protein shake, I use Iso Pro Low Carb or Iso Flex. Plus I take Gulp'n Go after I workout as well. Seems to work for me!

Take care and good luck!

www.sndcanada.com

your friend needs to do some big squats and deads, and eat a hell of a lot.

peace.

Interesting stuff about the insulin factor. I looked it up in my physiology books and they back up what devious is saying. Insulin increases the absorption of proteins from the blood into the muscle cells (and blood sugars AND fats). In order to get the insulin released, you need to increase your blood sugar. So to make the most efficient use of ingested protein you should take it with simple sugars.

One problem I found though -every resource I have checked says dextrose is the same thing as glucose.

Seems to me the best thing to do after a workout is to immediately drink a protein shake (pure whey or equivalent) mixed with a simple sugar and stay away from fats.

Thanks to Devious1 for showing the importance of insulin in protein uptake for strength training!

Designer Whey is the shit. Dougie

Go to Spartan Nutrition on Richmond near the Ceeps and tell Aaron the manager Shawn Tompkins sent you and he will take care of you.

Merry Christmas

"5'8", 146lbs", no girl will ever want you!!

"From: sokescrog: Designer Whey is the shit. Dougie
Go to Spartan Nutrition on Richmond near the Ceeps and tell Aaron the manager Shawn Tompkins sent you and he will take care of you. Merry Christmas"

Thanx! I was going to ask where to get half this stuff. I work down near Richmond and Piccadilly so it's a 5 min walk.

"From: DJmisskittie: It's all opinion and everyone has had different experiences w/ different supplements. You could even ask ppl from the place you train what they use and why. Get feedback on certain supplements from various individuals before you decide what you want to do."

Luckily Big Andy Burwell has offered to give me a hand with this. Of course Big Andy uses guys like me for his workouts when doing any lifting!

But seriously, I have to thank everyone on this board who has helped me out this year and all the guys down at the club. It's like everytime I am looking for something those guys and people here step up to help without asking for anything.

YOU ALL ROCK!

"From: NOT LETTUCE: "5'8", 146lbs", no girl will ever want you!!"

What?! Hey, anyone who knows me knows I'm a hell of a guy!

Hey, I have more questions. With the Whey Protein powder, I have been mixing it with milk. Can I add sugar to sweeten it up or will that affect the absorbtion rate or something?

Thanx by the way To Shawn Tompkins for the lowdown on where to get it.

Any answer yet?

"Can I add sugar to sweeten it up or will that affect the absorbtion rate or something?"

I heard about a guy who did this once. Once. He died the next day.

that was me...i didn't die but i should have...i think i missed my turn and now i will live forever