Protein when not bulking

This week I am starting my off-season lifting regiment. If I have no intention on bulking would taking proein shakes (after workout or before bed) make me gain weight, or just assist muscle recovery?

Should I just stick to food, or would anyone here reccomend post work out protein shakes?

thanks-Nick

TTT

Definitely drink protein after your workouts, and I'd say do the same before bed as well.

Excess calories make you gain weight, not protein shakes.

Great, thanks, I probably would follow your advice but money is short in my house, and I don't know if my mom would want to have to spend twice as much on it, let alone drive to the mall that often to get it.

Say I can't get to having one untill about 1 1/2 -2hrs after my workout, should I then just take it before I go to bed?

Also if I decide to run after lifting, should I take my protein shake after running, or in between lifting and running, same goes to if I train (MMA or Wrestling) after I lift.

Thanks a lot
-Nick

Do not eat or drink protein before running. Your gut will explode. Not literally but it will feel like it. When cutting I like to run before lifting, keeping the heart rate up the whole time.