Protestants: How do you know...

I'm just curious....to my Protestant friends out there:

How do you know the Bible is an inspired (by God) work?

maybe they know trough inspiration..

j/k

:)

because the bible says so...and the holy spirit confirms its power inside of us. It really is a living word when used in combination with the inspiritation of the spirit.

For instance, this morning, I read that we are supposed to "work out" our savlation with fear and trembling. I always thought this meant to be sure of it, however, this morning, I started thinking about it in terms of working out in a gym. Work out your salvation, make it grow into what its supposed to be.

I never thought about that before. THe spirit lead me to it...thats one example.

That's interesting Josh, but if the Spirit is what leads you to interpret the Bible, why are there so many different interpretations?

If it is up to the Spirit to help people interpret the Bible, then the Spirit must be doing a pretty bad job! There are more interpretations than I can count.

Alos, out of curiosity, (I'm genuinely not aware of this), where in the Bible does it say the the Bible is an inspired work?

"If it is up to the Spirit to help people interpret the Bible, then the Spirit must be doing a pretty bad job! There are more interpretations than I can count."

Maybe that says more about the persons getting the help, then the Spirit. You can only understand what you can relate too from your own experience.

hhhmmm...that's interesting FudoMyoo, but that would actually seem to place a limitation on the Holy Spirit, wouldn't it?

Or maybe they get the spirit and thier ideas mixed up......Maybe they havent learned to discern the ideas in thier own head from the spirit. They arent spiritually mature enough to be able to avoid listening to thier flesh...

Well, I would imagine we could put up 50 people, all very spiritually mature, that could give you 50 different interpretations of parts of the Bible.

Anyway, that's not really what I am trying to find out though.

How exactly do you know that the Bible is inspired?

"...that's interesting FudoMyoo, but that would actually seem to place a limitation on the Holy Spirit, wouldn't it? "

Why?

How do I know the bible is inspired?

Because I found God in the bible. I didn't find him in church or through another person witnessing. Im sure the prayers of many helped to contribute, however, I found God in the bible. I didn't really want to find the God of the bible if it was up to me. But I did..he spoke to me and revealed himself to me in ways that are very difficult for me to explain.

Thats how I know...the simplest way I can put it.

Well, if the Holy Spirit is God, can God not make somebody understand something if they lack the required experience?

Personally, I think if God wanted me to know something, I would know it regardless of my experiences.

Josh, I understand what you are saying. Honestly. But that is not a proof for the Bible being inspired. That's more akin to saying "The Bible is inspired because I feel like it is"

well give me an example of what your looking for. I dont think I understand what your wanting to know.

Well, you believe that the Bible is an inspired work. I do too.

Personally, I don't think you can base such a huge belief as the inspiration and inerrancy of the Bible on feelings. My question is really getting to how Protestants know, aside from feelings, that the Bible is inspired?

"Well, if the Holy Spirit is God, can God not make somebody understand something if they lack the required experience? "I think so."Personally, I think if God wanted me to know something, I would know it regardless of my experiences. "I think there is a natural development for everything. I think if God wants us to understand something, he could perhaps give us the experiences necessary first. I think that is how it works.Take a 1 year old baby for example, could God make that Baby understand Quantumphysics or the general theory of relativity? I don´t think so. First that baby needs to grow up and learn alot of more basic things in school, then the person might be ready to understand the more advanced stuff.

Well, we feel its inspired because its historically accurate, we can look backa nd verify what it says about cultures and customs at that time. We can also look at many many prophecies that have been fufilled...and those stand as evidences that the bible is true as well.

"Take a 1 year old baby for example, could God make that Baby understand Quantumphysics or the general theory of relativity? I don´t think so."

I disagree here. If God wanted a 1 year old to understand quantumphysics, I think it is well within God's power to make that happen...

"Well, we feel its inspired because its historically accurate, we can look backa nd verify what it says about cultures and customs at that time."

Well, an encyclopedia is historically accurate (usually)...that doesn't make it inspired though.

"We can also look at many many prophecies that have been fufilled...and those stand as evidences that the bible is true as well."

Same thing here...someone could say that the writings of Nostradamous (sp?) had foretold certain prophesies/predictions that came to happen...again, that doesn't make it inspired...

so why do you feel its inspired?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? ;^)

I'll get to that in a bit, but I would just like to get some feedback from some of the other people who belong to Protestant demoninations...