Prs Trump Halts Visa Jobs Program! MAGA!

10 Likes

Smart man. Best President in my lifetime.

5 Likes

I work in tech recruiting and you would be surprised how we HAVE to do H1b visas because qualified American citizens aren’t applying 

3 Likes

mrblonde1281 -

I work in tech recruiting and you would be surprised how we HAVE to do H1b visas because qualified American citizens aren’t applying 

This.

There is going to be a huge shortfall of employees in tech. 

2 Likes

Making Canada, Japan, UK, Australia, China, Asia Great Again!

1 Like

That's a lot of jobs to fill. Should do a gradual reduction instead

2 Likes

Jack Carter -

That's a lot of jobs to fill. Should do a gradual reduction instead

The companies will have to hire and train from within. If there are 40m unemployed I’m sure they can find 500k to hire @ $15 bucks an hour plus free training and then pay them standard wages once they are qualified or have certification 

2 Likes

we have 30% of the country unemployed

of course we should stop getting people from other countries and get our own people employed

4 Likes
greasegun -
mrblonde1281 -

This.

This has also been my experience in biotech and pharma between the US and Canada as well as the US and India, where many major pharmaceutical giants have a significant presence.

Canada has increasingly added price controls to drugs, moving in the direction of the EU over the US, and the effect is that very little innovative research is performed in Canada through large pharmaceutical companies, and even the multi-source/generic market has contracted significantly over the past two decades (still has great innovation for biotech startups though).

Guess which country tends to soak up all the underpaid talent?

The US pays the most and so we get a literal first dibs on any blue chip talent that we want from across the globe. I get the motivation for this with the fallout from the current pandemic, but this is shortsighted and will likely hurt the US economy where it excels the most -- not blue collar labor or manufacturing, but highly skilled labor in tech, biotech, and pharma. This is the literal talent pipeline that lets us poach geniuses from across the globe.

Having said that, Canadians have the TN1 loophole so they probably won't be affected by this much, but the general trend holds, and I'd imagine this is really going to hurt our ability to recruit from the EU or Asia.

mrblonde1281 -

then increase the wages or adjust to educate and train the american work force

there are many different ways to get Americans employed ... you don't HAVE to h1b

you WANT to h1b because it is cheap and easy

5 Likes
rekt -

we have 30% of the country unemployed

of course we should stop getting people from other countries and get our own people employed

H1b is supposed to only allow people in that have a unique talent that could not otherwise be found in the US. This doesn't really address the underlying structural issues causing our current recession and it misses the mark with regards to rectifying the main symptoms.

Edit: Quickly did a google search,

The H1B visa applicant must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the H1B visa:

• Applicant should hold a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree (or the foreign equivalent)*
  • The degree requirement for the job is typical for the job**
  • The work must be one that requires a professional in a specialty occupation
  • Applicant must possess deep knowledge in the required field
  • The employer must demonstrate the lack of qualified US applicants for the position
MattyECB -
greasegun -
mrblonde1281 -

This.

This has also been my experience in biotech and pharma between the US and Canada as well as the US and India, where many major pharmaceutical giants have a significant presence.

Canada has increasingly added price controls to drugs, moving in the direction of the EU over the US, and the effect is that very little innovative research is performed in Canada through large pharmaceutical companies, and even the multi-source/generic market has contracted significantly over the past two decades (still has great innovation for biotech startups though).

Guess which country tends to soak up all the underpaid talent?

The US pays the most and so we get a literal first dibs on any blue chip talent that we want from across the globe. I get the motivation for this with the fallout from the current pandemic, but this is shortsighted and will likely hurt the US economy where it excels the most -- not blue collar labor or manufacturing, but highly skilled labor in tech, biotech, and pharma. This is the literal talent pipeline that lets us poach geniuses from across the globe.

Having said that, Canadians have the TN1 loophole so they probably won't be affected by this much, but the general trend holds, and I'd imagine this is really going to hurt our ability to recruit from the EU or Asia.

good ... stop brain draining 3rd world countries which makes them significantly worse and start training and employing Americans

win-win

2 Likes
rekt -
mrblonde1281 -

there are many different ways to get Americans employed ... you don't HAVE to h1b

Yes, because it's that easy to just train people for degrees that range between 6-10 years on average to complete.

Even if you believe that's the route forward, the correct response would then be to push these training or education programs you're currently suggesting and then commensurately curbing H1b visas as their need / demand goes down -- not just ham-fistedly creating a severe shortage of highly trained labour in a number of industries that the US currently dominates.

Although I have to admit, your suggestion is refreshing considering how much most OGers detest tertiary education or social programs to promote it. I'm surprised to see someone pushing for it.

Edit: Posted this before seeing your above post, but I actually support better domestic education and training. However, as I point out above, you're putting the cart before the horse. You need to fix the domestic shortage before cutting off the outside supply; not vice versa.

MattyECB -
rekt -
mrblonde1281 -

Yes, because it's that easy to just train people for degrees that range between 6-10 years on average to complete.

Even if you believe that's the route forward, the correct response would then be to push these training or education programs you're currently suggesting and then commensurately curbing H1b visas as their need / demand goes down -- not just ham-fistedly creating a severe shortage of highly trained labour in a number of industries that the US currently dominates.

Although I have to admit, your suggestion is refreshing considering how much most OGers detest tertiary education or social programs to promote it. I'm surprised to see someone pushing for it.

Edit: Posted this before seeing your above post, but I actually support better domestic education and training. However, as I point out above, you're putting the cart before the horse. You need to fix the domestic shortage before cutting off the outside supply; not vice versa.

i'm quite familiar with the h1b abuse in tech and medicine 

like i said ... taking the hit short term is worth organically boosting homegrown talent 

we are living in exceptional times ... if there is a time to make a change to the way we recruit, it is now

both parties haven't done anything from a long time regarding this issue ... i'm glad someone is doing something

also, this executive order is under review every 60 days ... so it isn't necessarily a permanent thing and numbers can still be changed

i'm just glad that someone out there is acknowledging the issue and addressing it

"The order will be up for expansion within 30 days and reviewed every 60 days after that date."

mrblonde1281 -

Partly because h1b depresses wages in the sector 

Good move.

MattyECB -
rekt -
mrblonde1281 -

it is a chicken-egg situation

how many STEM undergrads went and got regular jobs because their universities picked up foreign grad students

pretty hard to compete against 3rd world educational systems which have doctored grades, cheating, and corruption all over the place

universities don't give a shit as long as the foreign grad students are paying ... that is better for their bottom line ... and foreign grad students are in supply because they are going to apply for a job and h1b to stay after

if the h1b abuse is stopped, then these foreign grad students aren't going to be so quick to come over and the universities will have to start picking up americans

the solution isn't ideal but it is better than doing nothing and let the exploitation continue

J1 also? Or just the H1b?

oldnslow -

J1 also? Or just the H1b?

j1 too

for large multinationals seems like the employer would just transfer the employees to another country and life carries on.  the positiion is still filled.