Prs Trump Halts Visa Jobs Program! MAGA!

rekt -
oldnslow -

J1 also? Or just the H1b?

j1 too

Then it's back to the drawing board for me on 2 scientists I was in the process of hiring for COVID research.

The GOAT 

MAGA !!!!!!!!!!

mrblonde1281 -

I work in tech recruiting and you would be surprised how we HAVE to do H1b visas because qualified American citizens aren’t applying 

Deeper dive please...Americans aren’t applying because they know they’re disadvantaged relative to foreign candidates or they’re not qualified and that’s why they’re not applying?

I always thought we didn’t have enough people to fill certain tech fields, so I’m confessing my ignorance on the topic.

oldnslow -
rekt -
oldnslow -

j1 too

Then it's back to the drawing board for me on 2 scientists I was in the process of hiring for COVID research.

Yeah, but we can just train someone else that is American to do this.... Win win right??

The idiots of the OG

mrblonde1281 - 

I work in tech recruiting and you would be surprised how we HAVE to do H1b visas because qualified American citizens aren’t applying 

There is a good portion of that which is due to salaries being too low because of the reliance on H-1B. I know I work at a Fortune 500 company who will have american developers essentially laugh at initial salaries which leads to more H-1Bs.

I'm fully behind Trump doing this. I just fear it will lead more to a bunch of vacant positions going into 2021 than companies ponying up to pay Americans adequate salaries.

LiveWire - 
mrblonde1281 -

Deeper dive please...Americans aren’t applying because they know they’re disadvantaged relative to foreign candidates or they’re not qualified and that’s why they’re not applying?

I always thought we didn’t have enough people to fill certain tech fields, so I’m confessing my ignorance on the topic.

I believe that an employer has to prove that they could not find a US candidate to fit these type of positions first before going the visa route?

Graduate1 - 
LiveWire - 
mrblonde1281 -

I believe that an employer has to prove that they could not find a US candidate to fit these type of positions first before going the visa route?

They do, but they can sabotage the US candidates by designating a wage that an American in that field wouldn't take.

RdotC - 
Graduate1 - 
LiveWire - 
mrblonde1281 -

They do, but they can sabotage the US candidates by designating a wage that an American in that field wouldn't take.

Aah, got it. I also thought for some reason that the wage has to be 'reasonable' and set by what the market dictates but I assume it's on a scale thus H1B candidates are willing to take the lowest possible wage just to get the visa..

mrblonde1281 -

You would be surpised how many IT people we laid off when we outsourced to India our on-prem infrastructure.....then had to sponsor a bunch of H1b Visa's to bring in the outsourced companies people......

could have just kept the IT infrastructure and people...but that was more expensive so.......

And Canada is doing the opposite (not surprised because the Liberal's are in office)..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2020/06/12/speculation-mounts-as-list-of-us-work-visas-to-be-restricted-grows/#765b90125b1c

235,420 views|Jun 12, 2020,07:05am EDT

Speculation Mounts As List Of U.S. Work Visas To Be Restricted Grows

Andy J. SemotiukContributor

Policy

I write about investor immigration and about Immigration issues.

•  
  •  
  •  

Person holding Indian Passport with hand on a US or american flag as background.

GETTY

Ever since President Trump’s April 22nd, 2020  proclamation restricting certain immigration to the United States for 60 days was published, there have been rumors that the proclamation would soon expand to include nonimmigrant visa holders. It appears this will indeed happen sometime shortly, and could initially be in effect for 90 to 180 days.

There is speculation that the expanded proclamation could bar entry to the U.S. for H-1B, H-2B, L-1 and J-1 applicants pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act sections 212(f) and 215(a). More exactly, the proclamation is expected to expand to ban the entry of nonimmigrants in these categories, but not announce other substantive policy changes which are expected to follow in regulatory proposals. Some exceptions are expected, however. Among those are: COVID-19 related exemptions, such as for health care workers, food supply workers and U.S. employers who conduct additional recruitment efforts.

Possible Subsequent Regulations

Potential rulemaking in the works could impact H-1B, OPT, and H-4 categories as early as July, possibly even without going through the notice and comment process. Rescinding the STEM OPT regulation and adding requirements to the 12-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) program are also possibilities. 

Strengthening the H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa Program regulation appears to be a likely prospect involving a focus on employer-employee relations, specialty occupation definition, and wage levels. A higher processing fee of $20,000 (or higher) is being discussed and the rescission of the H-4 Employment Authorization Rule looks increasingly likely. Employment authorization for asylees, refugees, and temporary protected status (TPS) holders could also be on the chopping block.

These potential restrictions are a source of concern not only for those who may be affected, but for advocates of comprehensive immigration reform in general. One of the key people behind the push to limit immigration is Stephen Miller, Trump's lead immigration adviser and the architect of the President's hardline immigration agenda.

A recent article pointed out that, “After the President's April proclamation, Miller cast the move as a first step toward reducing the flow of immigrants coming into the United States. That proclamation set up deadlines for review, one of which is approaching this weekend, and left the possibility open for its extension or modification.” There can be little doubt that one of the main concerns behind this hard line agenda is the fact that there are over 20 million people drawing unemployment benefits today. The argument goes: why give away American jobs to foreign workers when there are so many U.S. workers who could fill those spots?

Interestingly, not all nonimmigrant work visas have been the subject of speculation or mentioned in regard to President Trump’s proclamation. Among the ones that have been spared any comments, are NAFTA/USMCA TN visas and the Treaty Trader E-1 and Treaty Investor E-2 visas. Similarly, the O-1 extraordinary worker, P-1, P-2 and P-3 entertainment visas, and R-1 religious workers all appear outside the discussions. All of these, so far, seem to be safe.

Opposite Directions

GETTY

While America, through initiatives like these, is increasingly restricting immigration to the country, Canada appears to be headed in the other direction. A recent news report from the Canadian Press says,”A complete overhaul of how Canada processes immigration applications is in the works as the government braces for post-pandemic demand for migration to Canada.

Aging computer systems, paper applications and in-person interviews are among the things that must be adapted for the "new normal" after COVID-19, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada said in a tender posted to the government's procurement website and marked "urgent." Unfortunately, American efforts to modernize the country’s immigration program have been largely unsuccessful so far.

Another recent article pointed out,“Canada is benefiting from a diversion of young Indian tech workers from U.S. destinations, largely because of the challenges of obtaining and renewing H-1B visas and finding a reliable route to U.S. permanent residence.” The country’s express entry program for skilled immigrants is often the way they use to apply for permanent residence since it is marketed as a fairly quick way for an applicant to get permanent residence in Canada.

Keeping Tabs on Other Options

Whatever initiatives the White House may undertake, it is always a good idea for immigrants in the U.S. on work visas to keep their eyes open for alternative visas and different options they can take to meet their immigration needs. In the meantime, most nonimmigrant visa holders are bracing to learn what changes are about to be made.

Graduate1 -
RdotC - 
Graduate1 - 
LiveWire - 
mrblonde1281 -

Aah, got it. I also thought for some reason that the wage has to be 'reasonable' and set by what the market dictates but I assume it's on a scale thus H1B candidates are willing to take the lowest possible wage just to get the visa..

Worked in oil/gas for a bit. Contract engineering firms paid Indian engineers $15/hr on these visa programs. Sites were a short commute to CalPoly where an abundance of engineering students graduate yearly. 

Left oil/gas to go back into electric utilities but never forgot how disgusted I was watching these guys sub out engineering work when there was an enormous talent pool right here  

Go to about 7:40 in this vid.

Seems like he stole Eric Weinstien's idea!

On face value I agree with this work aswell as intended. Many people are making more from unemployment then what they would make from their jobs. That's why these Visa's help. 

Many businesses has help wanted signs but no one is applying. 

mrblonde1281 -

This is true. While I hope we focus our education on more tech based jobs to fill these in the future, we don’t have the supply right now to keep these jobs stateside if H1B is halted.......

oldnslow -
rekt -
oldnslow -

j1 too

there is an exemption for covid research so you are good

This is not a good idea. A gradual drawback from issuing work visas would be better. Companies cannot adapt fast enough to this change and it will sink some businesses. This only appeals to the extreme right. It also appeals to the extreme left in that it gives them something else to hate.

greasegun -
oldnslow -
rekt -
oldnslow -

j1 too

Yeah, but we can just train someone else that is American to do this.... Win win right??

The idiots of the OG

"Also exempted are H-2B visa workers taking U.S. jobs in the food industry, J-1 visa workers taking U.S. jobs in coronavirus-related medical research or treatment"

please read the article before commenting 

Hilldo - 

This is not a good idea. A gradual drawback from issuing work visas would be better. Companies cannot adapt fast enough to this change and it will sink some businesses. This only appeals to the extreme right. It also appeals to the extreme left in that it gives them something else to hate.

we're in exceptional times where everyone is working from and many companies are shifting to permanent work from home, surprisingly many companies have adapted incredibly fast to this situation

I think this is short term pain for long term gain.

mrblonde1281 -

My buddy is a recruiter;  says the same thing