PS 3 YLOD

I have an 80gb Fattie I want to hang on to.
Anyone used a 3rd party outfit to get a re-ball repair?

My original 60 gb w/PS2 hardware finally go the YLOD tonight. I went to www.fixmyplaystion.com and ordered the premium repair. The worst part is that my wife is going to be gone from Friday to Monday this weekend and I most likely won't have my PS3...FUCK

I got mine repaired fo $70, it lasted another 6 months and it happened again.

I did not re-seat the cpu myself so perhaps the guy I sent it to did not do a good job and apply new thermal paste as he should have done.

sounds like maybe you got a reflow repair (use existing solder)instead of reball (replace existing solder)? I just don't want to pay $100 for 6 mths of use.

I fixed my own. There is a youtube vid that shows you how. You will need a heat gun and some tube of computer gel not sure the name. It was pretty easy but the repair is only temporary I believe. Phone Post

Is it easy to replace blu-ray laser on PS3's? Phone Post

My plan is to get it repaired/reballed for $150, then buy a new slim PS3 and transfer all of my data to the new PS3. Once that's complete, I'll sell the old repaired PS3. I purchased way too much over the past 5 years to lose it. I was also shady, and would split the purchase price of downloads and let friends sign into my account and download.

JimJams - Is it easy to replace blu-ray laser on PS3's? Phone Post

Just the laser or the whole bluray drive? Pretty easy I would just follow a tutorial on youtube. Not sure if you can replace just a laser. Google and youtube will be your best bet to figure it out. I remember when fixing the ylod I took out the bluray drive so if you have another I'd imagine you could just pop it in. Phone Post

CryLikeAGirl - My plan is to get it repaired/reballed for $150, then buy a new slim PS3 and transfer all of my data to the new PS3. Once that's complete, I'll sell the old repaired PS3. I purchased way too much over the past 5 years to lose it. I was also shady, and would split the purchase price of downloads and let friends sign into my account and download.

Couldn't you just buy a new ps3 slim take out its harddrive and put in your old one? Then if you have a friend with ps3 put your new hard drive in his and transfer it all to your new drive. Would save u 150. Phone Post

I'm guessing it blu-ray as won't play disks or games but will play DVDs thanks I'll check it out Phone Post

Greenup - 
CryLikeAGirl - My plan is to get it repaired/reballed for $150, then buy a new slim PS3 and transfer all of my data to the new PS3. Once that's complete, I'll sell the old repaired PS3. I purchased way too much over the past 5 years to lose it. I was also shady, and would split the purchase price of downloads and let friends sign into my account and download.
Couldn't you just buy a new ps3 slim take out its harddrive and put in your old one? Then if you have a friend with ps3 put your new hard drive in his and transfer it all to your new drive. Would save u 150. Phone Post

The hard drive will only work in the PS3 that it is linked to (links to hardware). If I put it in another PS3, it will be formatted. I don't think I have downloads left for my purchased data, so I would be out around $300. I need to have my original PS3 functional for at least the time it takes to completely transfer from one PS3 to another. After the transfer, the original hard drive gets formatted.

Sweet Daddy Bear - I have two launch-day PS3's (yes, I paid the $1200 for them). The first one finally took a shit about 2 months ago, YLOD. I didn't sweat it, still had the "backup" in the bedroom. Wouldn't you know it, it lasted about 3 weeks longer. It's not YLOD though. It's the weird one where if you turn the power on, it just powers back off immediately.

Haven't looked into fixing them very hard. My brother had a Slim that was sitting in his entertainment center for about 6 months and never got used, so he gave it to me\

That could be the power supply, which was about $30 on amazon when I did mine. Phone Post

Yea sounds like power supply. Should be easy fix. Phone Post

I've heard bad things about the aftermarket repairs that are more popular. Like what happened to the poster above, I've heard it just delays the inevitable for less than a year.

Even though Sony fucked up my exchange pretty bad, I'd recommend doing that instead of a swap on an aging model

invalid - I've heard bad things about the aftermarket repairs that are more popular. Like what happened to the poster above, I've heard it just delays the inevitable for less than a year.

Even though Sony fucked up my exchange pretty bad, I'd recommend doing that instead of a swap on an aging model

That's why I want to get it fixed, then get a new slim PS3. I don't really use the backwards compatibility (plus I do have my PS2 in my attic). I just want to be able to transfer everything I purchased (probably around $300 worth) to the new PS3, then sell the old one. For some reason, that made no sense to my wife, go figure.

Hopefully my repaired PS3 will be able to last until the rumored $150 PS3 is released:

http://www.gamezone.com/products/playstation-3/news/new-ps3-slim-and-price-cut-on-the-horizon-can-push-the-ps3-past-the-xbox-360 

Fuck, the new PS3 will not have a hard drive and will have 16 GB of flash memory instead.

CryLikeAGirl - Fuck, the new PS3 will not have a hard drive and will have 16 GB of flash memory instead.

Wtf that's nothing... bad move on there part I think. Phone Post

CryLikeAGirl - I just want to be able to transfer everything I purchased (probably around $300 worth) to the new PS3, then sell the old one.

What do you mean? Did you know you can go to the store and download everything you've ever purchased at any time? Once you bought it, it's always yours.

Unless you're talking about something different?

invalid -
CryLikeAGirl - I just want to be able to transfer everything I purchased (probably around $300 worth) to the new PS3, then sell the old one.

What do you mean? Did you know you can go to the store and download everything you've ever purchased at any time? Once you bought it, it's always yours.

Unless you're talking about something different?

My shady practices have caught up to me. I would split the purchase price with friends and we would all download from my account. That and out would take a while to download everything I purchased over the past 5 years. 2 of those I wasn't married and was downloading rock band songs weekly. Phone Post