PS3 is a 720p system

"99% of PS3 titles will natively render at 720p; the few that come out with 1080(x) support are either going to be simple ports that don't need to render complex scenes (e.g. Virtua Tennis), or will give up a lot of in-game visual effects and simply won't look very good (hence the poor showing of Gran Turismo HD at this past E3)."

Did Ratchet & Clank touch you in a bad place?

yes, but it was only in 720p

RNCslapper. lucky you can already predict the whole gaming future for the PS3 lol

ign, hi orcus

I love that you quote a Microsoft guy on how many PS3 titles will support 1080p.

Even Xbox had a couple games that did 1080i, and of the couple dozen PS3 titles that have been shown in real-time gameplay form so far, already two are running in 1080p, so that's a lot higher than 1%.

so whats the real deal?

More and more 1080p PS3 games are being announced. The ones I've seen high-res videos of like Lair and Ridge Racer certainly don't seem to be lacking in any kind of detail, and don't appear to have any framerate problems, either.

LOL at sony and microsoft going for 1080P... to actually see a real difference between 1080p and 720p or 1080I you need a 100" screen... you guys should read the tech board sometimes . under 100" the line are to close to getter for the human eye to see any real difference.

And with a 100 inch screen you need to sit nearly 30 feet away for your eye to capture all the detail at once, I for one don't sit 30' from my TV

"to actually see a real difference between 1080p and 720p or 1080I you need a 100" screen"

That explains why a 19" monitor running a game at 1920x1080 looks way better than the same monitor running the same game at 1280x720. (as for 1080i vs 1080p, it doesn't matter for movies which are at 24fps anyway, but it does matter to a degree for games)

"And with a 100 inch screen you need to sit nearly 30 feet away for your eye to capture all the detail at once, I for one don't sit 30' from my TV"

I sit 11.5' away from a 120" screen and I'm not having any problems.

PS3 showing some PC graphics circa 2002

At 64 inch you can tell a slight difference in games at 1080x over 720p, but still most people won't be able to

Crumpyss, why is there a very visible difference in running a game at 1600 x whatever versus 1280 x 1024 on a 19" monitor?

PC monitor =/= TV

The only difference between an LCD TV and an LCD monitor is that the TV has a tuner. The display is identical.

the difference between 720P and 1080P is huge.

ask anybody who where at the tokyo game show and they will agree. even on the 42 inch plasma tvs sony had there.

for example devil may cry running at 720p and 60 frames a second looked a lot less then ridge racer 7 running at 60 frames a second.

You can't compare one game to a totally different game, though. You'd have to compare the same game at one resolution to it at another. It's easy to test on a PC, just change the resolution settings of a game.