Psychic called in for Missing Teacher..wtf...

a teacher went missing a few days ago and they have brought i a psychic to help assist in the case..im confused, has a psychic EVER actually helped solve a case before ever in the history of mankind?if so, which one?as far as im aware, they have never helped much but they paint very broad strokes yet police continue to bring them in to help with cases..why is this??

Shawn Spencer has a number of cases under his belt. Phone Post 3.0

I see.... ice cream.... with sprinkles! Phone Post 3.0

KenBania - No one ever proved they were psychic. Ever hear of a guy named James Randi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

Proving they are all bullshit for years.

thats why i keep wondering why LE brings them in on cases..whats the point?

DoovyB - I see.... ice cream.... with sprinkles! Phone Post 3.0

My god...quadruple stuffed oreos....

If it was my daughter or son I'd bring in a fucking witch doctor before I'd give up Phone Post 3.0

People be lame.

to appease everyone with a connection to the case, to show that all avenues are being explored

47 - Shawn Spencer has a number of cases under his belt. Phone Post 3.0
/end thread Phone Post 3.0

Tiresias -

"...there are documented cases where individuals with psychic abilities have assisted police in solving crimes..."

"A body was located in the US by Psychic Annette Martin. Dennis Prado, a retired US paratrooper, had gone missing from his apartment and police had been unable to locate his whereabouts. With no further leads, the chief investigating officer, Fernando Realyvasquez, a sergeant with the Pacifica (California) Police, contacted psychic detective Annette Martin. Prado had lived near a large forest, some 2000 square miles. Martin was given a map, she circled a small spot on the map, about the size of two city blocks. She said that Prado had struggled for breath, had died and his body would be there within the indicated area. She described the path he took, and where the body would be found. Although the area had been searched before and Prado had not been found, a search and rescue officer initiated a new search with the help of a search dog, as Martin suggested "A search dog is going to find him." They found the body covered with dirt at the location, as Martin had indicated. While the body had deteriorated, there was no evidence that he had been attacked and it is thought likely he had died of natural causes, as she also indicated."

"In 2001, the body of Thomas Braun was located by Perth based Aboriginal clairvoyant Leanna Adams in Western Australia. Police had initially been unable to find the body. The family of Braun had been told to contact Adams, an Aboriginal psychic who lived in Perth. The Braun family had requested police to do a search based on Adams’ directions but they had not assisted. Adams went to Alice Springs in the Northern Territory, and took the family members directly to Braun’s remains, a spot high on a ridge west of the town, some 20 kilometres out. The remains were not immediately identifiable. Police later confirmed the remains to be his using DNA testing."

"In Sydney, Australia in 1996, a Belgian born Sydney psychic, Phillipe Durant was approached by the fiance of missing Paula Brown to help locate her. Durante told police the location of the body of Brown. She was found less than two kilometres of the spot he had indicated in Port Botany, New South Wales, by a lorry driver who came across the body. "Even though the body was discovered purely by chance, the speculation by a clairvoyant appears to have been uncannily accurate," a police spokeswoman conceded. Durant had used a plumb bob and a grid map, combined with some hair from the victim."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective

I have met Anne Martin!

Gave me chills reading that. She came up to Saskatchewan for a missing child case once and was really interesting. Unfortunately she said she would not be able to help the case as hurricane Katrina hit her home of New Orleans and she had to return home. Before she left she said she would not have a home where she goes and a lot of ppl were going to die where she lived and she was extremely distraught about it near the end of her helping the case. Man I was only like 16 when that shit went down Phone Post 3.0

hmm seems like sch a tiny amount of cases though...i mean, i wonder what the success % rates are with these psychics?i wonder how skeptics would explain these cases away?

Sylvia brown helped with the grider murder near where I live.... Coulda been luck tho Phone Post 3.0

Tiresias - 
Bry Bry - hmm seems like sch a tiny amount of cases though...i mean, i wonder what the success % rates are with these psychics?i wonder how skeptics would explain these cases away?
Contemporary orthodoxy is "it's all bullshit". Best to just repeat that and not consider the question further. IMO Phone Post 3.0

There are 2 explinations to "psychics" helping solve crimes:

1: They have some knowledge of the case, and use that knowledge to make claims that perhaps the police do not know about yet.

2: Luck

I have news for you.  Psychics are not real.  They are either lying, or lying to themselves.  Take your pick.

I have heard a few interviews on true crime shows where they were brought in. Many of the investigators said they didn't mind them and a few times got valuable information.

However, remote viewing was a serious research project by our Military/Government which was ran out of Stanford Research Institute among other places. Many of those involved in the program, including Dr. Harold E. Puthoff and Col John Alexander (also a Ph.D), stated they got results.

They prob believe in God too Phone Post 3.0

stephen1547 - 
Tiresias - 
Bry Bry - hmm seems like sch a tiny amount of cases though...i mean, i wonder what the success % rates are with these psychics?i wonder how skeptics would explain these cases away?
Contemporary orthodoxy is "it's all bullshit". Best to just repeat that and not consider the question further. IMO Phone Post 3.0

There are 2 explinations to "psychics" helping solve crimes:

1: They have some knowledge of the case, and use that knowledge to make claims that perhaps the police do not know about yet.

2: Luck

I have news for you.  Psychics are not real.  They are either lying, or lying to themselves.  Take your pick.

it has to be based around luck because if it werent, there would be many more cases being solved by psychics...naming 2-3 cases isnt close to enough evidence that luck isnt involved..how many times have psychics been completely wrong, id say about 99.8% of the time...

A women named Greta Alexander solved a few cases. She was from central IL. Pretty famous for a while. Had some TV specials about her. Phone Post 3.0

I know a lady that is a bit crazy when it comes to her cats. When one of them went missing, she hired a pet psychic. The psychic told her that the cat was alive and it was in a beige house with a woman who had a square purse. My crazy friend went to every beige house (which is about every 3rd house in her neighborhood) to ask about her cat. Wasted tons of time and money and they knew that it was coyotes (which are really common in their area).

That story makes her sound totally crazy, but I promise she is only half crazy.

I live close to an Indian reservation and work with a few natives. Well some kid (20ish yrs old) from the reserve goes missing, my native friend that I work with is very involved in finding this kid so I got to hear all the details. After a few days of no luck and no leads they brought in the elders to do a sweat lodge session, or whatever they do, the elders came up with a story of how he was murdered after being hit by a car and where he was buried, they gave details about a corner of a tarp would be found and the kid will be in it. I got really interested and excited that maybe this could be real. Turns out he got drunk as fuck and drowned and was in the totally opposite direction of where the elders said to look. I was actually disappointed they weren't psychic Phone Post 3.0