Public Boat Ramp Hell

Jesus Lord, we went to a public boat ramp yesterday to take the boat out to Anclote Key off of Tarpon Springs on the Florida Gulf Coast just North of St. Pete/Clearwater.

And wow at the attitudes and conflict...

Almost got in a fight when a fellow threatened to run me over with his big truck and then there was a pushing and screaming match between 2 idiotic groups at the ramp when we came back.

There are LINES on the weekends and people were pulling their boats out of the water, but leaving it in the ramp to take out their plugs and shuffle gear back into their trucks...

Just so much frustrating public action.

Also had a little thing at a sandbar we anchored up at.

Many people go out to these sandbars and anchor off to have fun playing in the water and sand and drink and party.

Well, it can be a little tight, but we parked with plenty of room between us and the neighboring boats.

30 minutes or so later, as everyone else was walking the long bar (I stayed with boat), a couple of older drunk guys there to leer at the young sexy women, well, their boat began to drift and I had just begun snorkeling. IT got within a couple of inches of hitting our boat when they stopped it. I turned around to see this and waded over to check it out.

I asked them to anchor their boat more securely and they started saying "we've been here all day".... So I said:

"And your boat broke free and just about hit ours. I'm just asking that you take care."

They mumbled something, and I mumbled something and that was it, as I moved the boat away about 15-20 feet.

But, it was a beautiful day none the less, just sort of appalled at the rudeness and selfishness of people...

Going out in a boat is like going to a parking lot with 100 lifted trucks that are all trying to back into the same parking spot. Phone Post 3.0

There is very little I enjoy less than having to back a trailer down and load a boat in the middle of raging drunken chaos. 

You guys are both right!

In. 

Thats why i bought a Hobie. Phone Post 3.0

PoiuPoiu - 

them is mumbling words

LOL

Go early. The weekend warriors with the oakleys, mullets and no clue usually don't come out until later.

With that said, the early morning pre dawn fishing crew can get a little cantankerous about boat ramp etiquette as well, but they usually don't tolerate loitering on the ramps.

When I'm in fort Myers beach I'll occasionally go to the launch late afternoon on a Saturday just to watch. It's awesome. Drunk rednecks, incompetent tourists. There's something for everyone. I saw some guy try to power load his boat, and as he gunned the boat she took off and dropped the boat on the concrete. It was glorious. Phone Post 3.0

PoiuPoiu -

them is mumbling words

Lulz Phone Post 3.0

Bugsbunny.gif Phone Post 3.0

The folks standing right next to chains and tow straps being used to pull a sunken truck out of the water are absolutely crazy. Quite a few brand new looking rigs swimming in that video. Phone Post 3.0

Lol ya I'm ready for summer and boating is fun. The boat ramp shit is annoying people at the lakes are annoying. I'll probably sell my boat after this summer 3 - 4 months of boating weather where I live not worth the hassle

I also kayak and bike I'd rather do that anymore. Much cheaper and better exercise and less hassle and cooler people

the_b00ts - Honestly, how do you back in far enough for your vehicle to float away?

Usually it's stupid people not putting the car in park when they get out to go mess with the boat. The only time I've ever seen a sunk vehicle in person was due to a steep, mossy boat ramp. Dude sunk a brand new 2000 Silverado all the way over the roof. I was the only other person around and pulled him out with no drama. Guy was pissed at himself but was like fuck it, I'm still going fishing! and left the truck in the parking lot with doors open. It was gone that afternoon so I have always wondered if he drove it home or had to tow it.

Was at fred Howard park this weekend. .beautiful area Phone Post 3.0

I'm telling you man, it's usually from people not putting the tow vehicle in park when they get out from behind the wheel to mess with the boat. Sometimes it's because they backed the trailer too far and there's a drop off at the end of the ramp that the tow vehicle can't pull the trailer wheels back up and then the current sucks the whole rig down.

I used to work at an insurance auction company (crashedtoys.com) and we got a LOT of these items. Sometimes the rig would sink with the boat still strapped to the trailer and the boat would be totaled from gouges.

PoiuPoiu -

them is mumbling words

Thems* Phone Post 3.0

the_b00ts -
Cawsie77andConorTouchedMe - Thats why i bought a Hobie. Phone Post 3.0
Haha the faces on some guys when they're fighting over the launch and you just slide a yak in next to them. Phone Post 3.0
Or when you're cleaning a hatch full of fish while they are still trying to launch! Phone Post 3.0

kanedog - Was at fred Howard park this weekend. .beautiful area Phone Post 3.0

This was my first time out to Anclote.

Gorgeous area.

AmazinGracie -
smartin - When I'm in fort Myers beach I'll occasionally go to the launch late afternoon on a Saturday just to watch. It's awesome. Drunk rednecks, incompetent tourists. There's something for everyone. I saw some guy try to power load his boat, and as he gunned the boat she took off and dropped the boat on the concrete. It was glorious. Phone Post 3.0
Try Punta Rassa sometime. The lines of idiots are astounding. That's why I dry dock mine. Phone Post 3.0
I've never seen anything like the lovers key ramp on a weekend for shear volume of morons. My buddy charters out of sanibel harbor yacht club next door to Punta rassa so I have enjoyed that one as well. Phone Post 3.0