Puerto Rico - how has it recovered, things to do?

My wife and I are thinking of taking a vacation there next year.

We are more into daytime stuff, rather than night. We'll probably be on a beach at some point every day, but have no interest in nightclubs/dancing. The bio-luminescence kayak tours sound really cool, but I don't believe that they have recovered from the hurricane yet, so probably not worth the effort. The old fort is on the to-do list.

Suggestions on beaches, places to eat, things to see, things to avoid?

avoid the island until they recover from the hurricane

that hurricane buttfucked that little island, they're still sitting on an ice pack on the couch

It was a shithole long before that hurricane.

not yet

It's not recovered yet.  

Vote for Orcus 2018 OG King -

This

A friend that I talk to said things are pretty much back to normal. So whatever that means. He always shits on PR so I'm guessing back to normal still isn't that great lol.

He lost power for a month when the big one hit.

We went.

In summary, it was much better than expected and we had a great time.

Stayed 4 nights on the west coast, Caribbean side. Had a semi-private beach at the back of our beach house. Clear water, nice sand, all sorts of corral. Lots of very good restaurants that were surprisingly inexpensive. Spent some time at Playa Sucia and also at Rincon. Found some large brain corral at Rincon, as well as seeing some gorgeous surfer chicks. Drove into the interior to hit some coffee plantations - some of the interior roads are still bad.

Spent the next 3 nights in San Juan. Spent one day touring Old San Juan and the forts - the forts were awesome, I never appreciated the history of the area previously. Beach by our hotel was nice as well.

One odd observation - PR does NOT like Chevy! We were there 5 days before I saw a Chevy Silverado that was under 15 years old. Fucking Tacomas EVERYWHERE, by far the most common truck. Also quite a few FJ Cruisers. F-150 were fairly common, but I probably saw 20 Tacoma for every F-150, and 20 F-150 for every Ram truck. In San Juan there were a few Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans, a couple of Camaros. Some of the cops drove Caprice (Holdens), but otherwise virtually no Chevy passenger cars.

GHTT_Pig Bun - We went.

Stayed 4 nights on the west coast, Caribbean side. Had a semi-private beach at the back of our beach house. Clear water, nice sand, all sorts of corral. Lots of very good restaurants that were surprisingly inexpensive. Spent some time at Playa Sucia and also at Rincon. Found some large brain corral at Rincon, as well as seeing some gorgeous surfer chicks. Drove into the interior to hit some coffee plantations - some of the interior roads are still bad.

Spent the next 3 nights in San Juan. Spent one day touring Old San Juan and the forts - the forts were awesome, I never appreciated the history of the area previously. Beach by our hotel was nice as well.

One odd observation - PR does NOT like Chevy! We were there 5 days before I saw a Chevy Silverado that was under 15 years old. Fucking Tacomas EVERYWHERE, by far the most common truck. Also quite a few FJ Cruisers. F-150 were fairly common, but I probably saw 20 Tacoma for every F-150, and 20 F-150 for every Ram truck. In San Juan there were a few Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans, a couple of Camaros. Some of the cops drove Caprice (Holdens), but otherwise virtually no Chevy passenger cars.

I haven’t been since the hurricane but...

Good list^

San Juan and old San Juan / the fort is pretty cool to explore for a day
Good food for sure

The National Park / rain forest is pretty cool

I’d def go back, but waiting till it’s all recovered. It may never be the same I’ve heard

I always heard bad things, but thought PR was pretty cool.
I enjoyed it much much more than Jamaica and it was way cheaper

If I ever go back, I'll try to spend more time in the Rincon area. Dome Beach was great, except for the horse tours coming through and the horses shitting on the sand. We hiked along the coast a bit from there, and had a bad ass beach all to ourselves.

Al Cappucino -
Vote for Orcus 2018 OG King -

This

Not true at all. I go almost every year, one of my favorite places. Great beaches, great food, great people.

I recommend a first-timer stay in the Condado district in San Juan. I prefer the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel.

GHTT_Pig Bun - We went.

Glad you went and glad you enjoyed it. Now I'm craving some ropa mofongo!