Pullups

I read somewhere that Jack Dempsey could do 90 (he would stop about 4 times just long enough to change his grip. He weighed about 190.

I can probably do about 25 when fresh. I weigh about 205 at the moment after my before summer cut.

I usually work with weighed pullups though. 6-8 sets of about 4-8 reps with increasing weight.

Todays back workout began with 6xBW, 6x20Kg, 6x40KG, 6x50Kg, 5x50Kg, 5x50Kg and a finisher set of 18xBW.

Then I did a bunch of different rows and face pulls to finish off the back...

^ what weight do you use when you did 30?

nice, 30 is pretty good. which way do you point your palms and do you use wide grip or narrow?

Every day, every time I left my flat, I used to do 6 pull ups on a bar which was part of a stairwell. After 2/3 days, it went up to seven. Within 3 months, I was on 20 strong, explosive pull ups.

I do pullups once or twice a week as part of stronglifts. I did something similar to brutal medic, is that likely to fuck with my recovery etc? Phone Post

i doubt doing 20 pullups once or twice per week will affect anything, and i would assume if it did have an impact it would be positive.

mt

One thing that worked for me in being able to do single arm chin ups, was lots of weighted chins and pullups for singles and triples programmed once or twice a week. I was able to do 2 on my right and 1 on my left before I got too busy with finishing school to eat/sleep/train properly. I weighed more then 88kg (now 82kg) can't quite do any singles yet, all my numbers have gone down a lot, depressing.

www.beastskills.com

had some great inspirational tutorials on this and trying a powerlifting scheme helped me, I was also doing powerlifting at the time so that may have influenced me. Calculating bodyweight + added weight appeals to my bias towards proper programming, as far as actual effect I don't know.

As far as cranking out max reps of pullups, that is going to be a different part of that endurance/strength spectrum with leverages etc affecting your individual ability.

Wrestlenow, if you're having trouble at the bottom of the pull two things you can do, 1 is to work your scapular stabilizers, the ones that do downward rotation and retraction, so try horizontal rows, reverse flys etc. Or you could not go all the way down and keep your shoulder locked as some advocate. Also, working up to those super heavy weighted pull ups is helped by starting at the top and getting a stretch stimulus, thing squatting from standing versus starting from the bottom of the squat.

Sorry for the read.

jeebus. disregard.

Leigh - I honestly can't remember as I built the foundation over a decade ago. I've always been reasonably decent at chins anyway. When I started doing them again, I used the 5-3-1 method (including bodyweight in the calculations) and it worked very well.

Leigh -

When you used 531 for loaded pull ups did you use a training max just like standard 531 and go for max reps in your last set? Any other tweaks from standard 531 methods for this?

Thanks.

^ i would KILL to have that shit where i am, the only things i have are a pull-up bar and monkey-bars, that climbing thing looked awesome.

Holy shit, indeed that looked awesome. Imagine the workout your grip and forearms are getting from that, nnice.

Any of you guys tall and long limbed? Wondering how much those leverages effect people. Did 25 in 4 sets. This was harder than squating 160kg for 3x10. Phone Post

mkou - Holy shit, indeed that looked awesome. Imagine the workout your grip and forearms are getting from that, nnice.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That shit reminds me of the peg board that Swain climbed in Vision Quest. I always wanted one of those too!

just did 25 BW from a full dead hang

i got a pullup bar at work and home so im hitting lots of reps, but i feel my gains coming slower, im gonna buy a weight vest later today hopefully i can keep my gains on a good pace.

does anyone know about the iron gym? is it legit or a scam, seems like having different angle could be very useful.

i got a weight vest en route shipping, im going to start on that. right now im trying to even out my reps, its alot harder for me to do wide grip and hands away pullups, also i started doing towel grip pushups and those are killing my grips but its great. averaging about 250 per week and i feel way stronger since starting.

WRESTLENOW - does anyone know about the iron gym? is it legit or a scam, seems like having different angle could be very useful.

i got a weight vest en route shipping, im going to start on that. right now im trying to even out my reps, its alot harder for me to do wide grip and hands away pullups, also i started doing towel grip pushups and those are killing my grips but its great. averaging about 250 per week and i feel way stronger since starting.

Iron gym has got to be the first worthy fitness item I've seen in years...for pull ups, that is.

Slap it on a door, if there's a frame, you've got a pull-up bar.

Cool new article about pull ups by Ben Bruno.

I did a shitton of weighted chins a few years back and finally got a legit one-armer, but I could never keep it as a base-line wich still bothers me