Pullups

just woke up, did set of sets of 15-13-12-10-10 reps from dead hang with ~3 second hang in-between each rep, trying to switch things up now, going to add weight this week will update.

The dead hang and pause at the top is brutal for me, kills your back, arms, abs.  Probably my overall favorite exercise.

Im on a pull up mission right now.  at 265 I can do about one from a dead hang.  so i just started doing sets with the rubber band, bent over rows, lat pull downs, negatives, flexed arm hangs

i'm working on this three times a week.  

i've hit so many of my other strength goals this one is really bothering me.  before i bulked up this past year (and added tons to my squats and deads) i could do many many reps (weighed around 225).  

either i loose 40 lbs or get way stronger...

going with the stronger approach.

we'll see.

thats not bad at all, 265 is alot of weight,

i have a PR of 50 from wayyy back when i was wrestling at a much lower weight that i am now, i don't know if its possible to get to the huge numbers of reps at a high bodyweight... its certainly a lot harder.

what about weight to strength ratios and what not? 

i'm not going to just give myself a pass because i'm so heavy.  i'm big, i'm strong and my pull ups need to come around.

my back is so crazy sore from this routine i just started i love it.

T Nation actually had some decent articles on pull ups and how to add strength, accessory exercises things like that.  

after my normal workout today i'll do pull ups in the band, negatives, flexed arm hangs , db rows

pull ups are by far my worst exersize. Something that i really need to work on. I have made progression but i need to crank it up.

Leigh - Strength to weight ratios heavily favour the little guys! You can't just put on 40lbs and think everything will be fine, lol. Use the bulk to build some lean mass and strength but dropping weight is a legitimate way to increase proportional strength IMHO.

my muay thai weight class is 200.2 lbs and up, with no limit.  in my last few fights I've been facing guys who were like 260-280, while I was a wee 225/230.  I decided to bulk up and make a run at the World WKA Tourney in 2012.  I want to keep my mass.

So, just get stronger time!

I'm up to 13 pull ups at 15 stone. Think that's about 210lbs? Managing to add 1 per week. Phone Post

t

Try this pyramid to mix things up: 123456789"10"987654321

Your goal should be to see how fast you can knock this out, with 10 being the most reps you will do in 1 set. Used to do this a lot in the Corps. Everyone I ever knew who could complete this pyramid could do at LEAST 20 pullups easily.

90 pullups in one session is no joke for sure

Edit cause I miscounted DOH!

i can do about half of a 1-arm pullup....lol

im doing them with a 45lb plate in a 5x5 scheme.
do about 30-something BW.

^nice, what is your height/bw, and how long have you been doing pullups?

5'10 188lbs.<br />been doing pullups 10 years lol<br /><br />I do them + weighted dips together,<br />5pullups/5-10 dips x5 with the same weight.

BrutalMedic - 
WRESTLENOW - does anyone know about the iron gym? is it legit or a scam, seems like having different angle could be very useful.

i got a weight vest en route shipping, im going to start on that. right now im trying to even out my reps, its alot harder for me to do wide grip and hands away pullups, also i started doing towel grip pushups and those are killing my grips but its great. averaging about 250 per week and i feel way stronger since starting.

Iron gym has got to be the first worthy fitness item I've seen in years...for pull ups, that is.

Slap it on a door, if there's a frame, you've got a pull-up bar.

I have the iron gym extreme pull up bar. It's fantastic and prob. the best fitness investment I made since push bars( $10 ). U can purchase the iron gym extreme pull up bar for $40 at a reg. DICK or SPORTS AUTHORITY...orrrrrrrrrr...u can shop at a TJ Maxx, ROSS or Marshalls...I've seen the iron gym extreme pull up bar for $20 bucks there! Keep in mind there is the iron gym and extreme iron gym. Get the extreme because it has the wide grips. You can also do leg raised on them. Here is a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdNUA_39Zc

later

androushka - 90 pullups in one session is no joke for sure

Edit cause I miscounted DOH!

Try again

been doing my accessory work.  the trainers at the gym are like, WTF dude?! you're not doing oly/power lifts?

moved to the least assistance band for multiple reps.  on my way boys.

just 25 dead hangs.  not consecutive, but as quickly as I could.  about 15 minutes. 

getting much better

did 50 with a kip the workout before.

practice practice practice.

i can feel my back getting bigger. very happy

at 268 lbs!

dc1000 -  just 25 dead hangs.  not consecutive, but as quickly as I could.  about 15 minutes. 

getting much better

did 50 with a kip the workout before.

practice practice practice.

i can feel my back getting bigger. very happy

at 268 lbs!<br type="_moz" /> 

nice, what grips are you using?