Purple belt subs Bastos?

I assume Quinlan is a purple belt based on the shirt he is wearing. Pretty impressive performance. Bastos is world class.

Yeah i saw this the other day. Looks like Bastos was gassed.

Ricardo Demente went on to submit this dude by armlock.

But props to this dude.

I don't get Bastos. He just never seems to be able to use his attributes which is obviously his size and strength. It's obvious he has the technique but he just doesn't seem fast enough I guess or he just plays a way too patient game to use them all. Like in his match vs. Caio Terra, he pretty much sat in Terra's guard the entire match and did nothing but stand up, you'd think with his size and strength advantage he could atleast break the guard.

Quinlan also won the no-gi pan-ams last year and has beaten serra black belt Dan Simmler in gi competition. He has some of the best wrestling for BJJ out there.

it happens, if the black belt is gassed eetc. I have seen it before too, nothing big.

This kind of stuff happens more frequently in no-gi. Probably why more gi guys don't train no-gi more.

I remember when I was a blue(now purple) I got SMASHED by a brown(now black). I seriously never swept him, passed, and NEVER got close to a sub. We took the gi off and I passed to side, then got the choke as he was trying to turn away.

I was like WTF and haven't rolled w/o gi since.

LetsTalkItOut - This kind of stuff happens more frequently in no-gi. Probably why more gi guys don't train no-gi more.

I remember when I was a blue(now purple) I got SMASHED by a brown(now black). I seriously never swept him, passed, and NEVER got close to a sub. We took the gi off and I passed to side, then got the choke as he was trying to turn away.

Thats true, seems like no gi even's the odds a little bit.

Yeah he may have been gassed but give Quinlan credit, he did a great job controlling Bruno and shutting down all his sweeps. He looked awesome on top.

bonez05 - 
LetsTalkItOut - This kind of stuff happens more frequently in no-gi. Probably why more gi guys don't train no-gi more.

Thats true, seems like no gi even's the odds a little bit.

i think its more a matter of purple belts not competing against black belts int he gi... or browns etc. in nogi they face each other a lot. im sure there are penty of good browns out there that would tap blacks in competition regularly if they competed against each other.

Interesting. Bastos never seems to be consistent. I saw him flying armbar Dante Rivera last year in 20 seconds. Now he is getting burned by a purple belt and losing to Terra? Maybe he is off his game for some reason. 

Jimmy has a strong wrestling background and has been tearing up local tournaments for a while now.

My instructors have both trained a lot with Bruno (They had the same instructor), and they always say that Bruno is tremendously talented, but is too patient, and conservative in his grappling. Leads to inconsistency.

For example, there are some matches where he is super aggro from his HG and dominates people, but there are other matches like this one, and the match vs Caio Terra where he doesn't do much of anything.

What you see with Bastos is a frustration I have with my own BJJ. Bastos looks like he's exhausted, and when you're exhausted then nothing works properly. Your muscles simply dont function the way they should, your timing is off because you're a step behind, and you can't take many chances because you cant handle a scramble.

I had something happen to my lungs in 1998 that caused them to scar, so every day on the mat I feel a lot like Bastos (minus his high skill level) in that I'm forced to play a slower, more conservative game because it isnt long before my limbs are exhausted and I'm sucking wind.

It's really hard to roll with very athletic people because once I gas, my body goes dead.

andre summed it perfectly. He gassed happens to everyone.
except michael giordano.

its classy of the purple belt to not be bragging "I tapped a black belt!!!!" like in the other thread.

andre, you sure tried to smash me, and you know I have asthma! man asthma had held me back in so many ways.