Purple belt wrestler better than BJJ BB ???

Is this the new trend now and the proven way to success ??? The new breed of fighter ??? Or is it that UFC is pushing more wrestlers through now a days...

In grappling...no way. In fighting...? Depends.

All I know is, I hope Lauzon got promoted afterwards as that was a freaking clinic he put on. And Edgar is a brown belt in bjj btw, so this post doesn't work.

Hard to say. In pure subs? No way. But wrestlers have an instict for control. That is how the sport works. Top control, TDs, clinch control, etc. It is a very effective tool to use. Plus wrestling is as hard nosed as sport can be. But there are plenty of top level wrestlers that get subbed all the time. I recall a fight not too long ago where a wrestler imposed his will for 24 minutes just to get submitted in the end. So who is to say? Its more about the individual fighters themselves.

TAC - Hard to say. In pure subs? No way. But wrestlers have an instict for control. That is how the sport works. Top control, TDs, clinch control, etc. It is a very effective tool to use. Plus wrestling is as hard nosed as sport can be. But there are plenty of top level wrestlers that get subbed all the time. I recall a fight not too long ago where a wrestler imposed his will for 24 minutes just to get submitted in the end. So who is to say? Its more about the individual fighters themselves.

Awesome post man. I'd vote you up if I could.

Thanks man

edit

Everyone likes to pretend that BJJ is all about the sub.

No, BJJ is all about the guard pass. If they cared about the sub, they'd score them.

TAC - Hard to say. In pure subs? No way. But wrestlers have an instict for control. That is how the sport works. Top control, TDs, clinch control, etc. It is a very effective tool to use. Plus wrestling is as hard nosed as sport can be. But there are plenty of top level wrestlers that get subbed all the time. I recall a fight not too long ago where a wrestler imposed his will for 24 minutes just to get submitted in the end. So who is to say? Its more about the individual fighters themselves.

Well put, but said wrestler was not an accomplished BJJ of purple or black belt and has been susceptible in the past to the very sub he was caught in, in that fight.

Brasco - Is this the new trend now and the proven way to success ??? The new breed of fighter ??? Or is it that UFC is pushing more wrestlers through now a days...

Are you talking about BJ Penn.

I have never been impressed with his bottom game (which consists of holding people down in rubber guard but not really being a threat for armbar/triangle/choke/sweep).

His top game is world class like alot of Carlson Graice/Nova Uniao products. But if you can get BJ on his back (Hughes, GSP, Edgar) he seem to not do well.

joe bruce - Absolutely. We all know judges favor wrestlers , and most BJJ moves goes ignored by the judges. Its kinda sad really.

I disagree. Passes from full to half gaurd, half to full, etc are scored well. Moving from position a to position b in the gaurd however are not scored because unless in translates to a substantial move it is worthless. IE going from closed guard to high guard "can" be considered not doing anything or stalling if nothing comes of it, but if you go from guard to high guard to say gogo or triangle or whatever that should certainly score.
What I'm saying is you have to do more than move your legs up and down your opponents back from bottom.

Every purple belt needs a BB to teach them. Straight up wrestler wouldnt stand a chance. All wrestlers know this.Which is why they ALL have Bjj coaches.
Where do you think the BJJ guys that use get there roids from? Wrestlers and body builders of course.

joe bruce - Absolutely. We all know judges favor wrestlers , and most BJJ moves goes ignored by the judges. Its kinda sad really.

not many judges have any knowledge about grappling. they think whoever is on there back is losing.

When you see BJ fresh, his guard is dangerous. In the first round, he was threatening with a sweep and controlled Edgar's posture perfectly. After BJ gets tired, his guard is nowhere near as effective and he was letting Edgar get some GNP without really threatening anything. He seemed content to just rest there.

I've always felt that to have an effective MMA guard, you need to have long legs for the most part. You need them to throw up triangles, which is just about the only submission you can get on a wrestler that has a good anti-grappling game.

I would rather fight a Bjj blackbelt than a college wrestler who is a purple.

The wrestler is a much TOUGHER fight. for me especially and for most guys it would be .

Bjj can be defended against for  5 minutes especially since many bjj guys dont have very good wrestling to

get you down to the mat.

wrestlers are stronger pound for pound and have a dominating type of skill to control you.

We all had to learn BJJ though to fight in mma ...its just not as hard to deal with in mma  as good wrestling

wrestlers clearly are the best fighters in MMA