Putting dog down during COVID

Fuck me, I didn't think it would be this tough. Need to put my 13 year old, loyal beast down today, but they just want me to take him and drop him off. I wouldn't be with him when he dies.

I'm not into that, so having to look into alternatives. We found a mobile vet, but she may not have time to make it out here tonight. 

Spent some time at the park, ate some cheeseburgers, and thought he died on the ride. No such luck. I hate the fact I may have to shoot him, but it may come to that if I can't be with him when he dies.

Didn't think about shit like this, but we will share our last Budweiser this evening however it ends. Just want it to be quick and painless. Also like the fact of being outdoors and not in an exam room.

Fucking sucks. Trying to think clearly to do what's best for him.

1 Like

Prayers.

Ugh. :(

Sorry op!

Best of luck, brotha

Prayers for the good doggo.

I agree, fuck just dropping him off and driving away. 

I work at a clinic and our only exception for people entering the building are euthanasias where the owner would like to be present.  

In really sorry to hear this. Its never easy to go through and even worse when you can't be there for it when you want to.

1 Like

I have said this before and it was not popular. I truly don’t get it.

I have had many dogs get old to the point of suffering.

They all died the same way.

Laying on their favorite blanket, while being petted and talked to, trying to comfort them as much as possible.

Then they got a .22 to the back of the head, while still being petted and comforted.

They are my animals. Their well being is my responsibility. I could no more drop one off at the vet to be put down, than I could fly to the moon.

Make your pet suffer, and stress just a bit more before he passes, is for your comfort not the dogs.

Not helping the dog you are responsible for in the least.

Quite the contrary, you are being selfish and putting your comfort above his.

Call around a couple of vets and ask if they have or know of someone that will come to the house. Most do.

Dryfly - I have said this before and it was not popular. I truly don't get it.

I have had many dogs get old to the point of suffering.

They all died the same way.

Laying on their favorite blanket, while being petted and talked to, trying to comfort them as much as possible.

Then they got a .22 to the back of the head, while still being petted and comforted.

They are my animals. Their well being is my responsibility. I could no more drop one off at the vet to be put down, than I could fly to the moon.

Make your pet suffer, and stress just a bit more before he passes, is for your comfort not the dogs.

Not helping the dog you are responsible for in the least.

Quite the contrary, you are being selfish and putting your comfort above his.

I did mention having to do it myself, and I wouldn’t allow my dog to suffer unnecessarily. If push comes to shove, I will do it, however, I would rather exhaust all other options.

I love the guy, and he will die painlessly by the end of the day by whichever means we can be together.

camicom -

Call around a couple of vets and ask if they have or know of someone that will come to the house. Most do.

Not with the Rona. It's making things difficult. May have found a retired vet willing to meet me at a park. Trying to figure out getting him to the crematorium. 

stanky leg -

Having shot animals before, you better know what you're doing if you're going to shoot him. If not done correctly, their last moments will be horrific and a memory you'll never forget. It's not like in the movies.

I have hunted enough to know this to be true.

Kings21 - 

I work at a clinic and our only exception for people entering the building are euthanasias where the owner would like to be present.  

In really sorry to hear this. Its never easy to go through and even worse when you can't be there for it when you want to.

"our only exception for people entering the building "

Jesus Christ, had no idea the black plague was out there killing everyone.

jcblass -
Kings21 - 

"our only exception for people entering the building "

Jesus Christ, had no idea the black plague was out there killing everyone.

We are quitting our current vet because of this (we have another dog). She is too "busy" today and tomorrow. Her clinic is on a farm. I told her we would set up outside, pay full office visit, and have her administer the meds in between "busy". No go.

The total lack of compassion or understanding was a turn off. We would move away when they come to give it to him, then hold him on his way out.

Fuck em.

Furthermore, we would take his body with us. All she has to do is push meds through a needle. Easy money, but not enough for her.

Sorry OP. Fucking sucks.

I am going through the same thing right now.  She is 14.  I had her since she was 3 weeks old.  It's an awful feeling.

If you can get a vet out to your house  it is worth the money.

really sorry to hear man. best of luck to you.

stanky leg -

Having shot animals before, you better know what you're doing if you're going to shoot him. If not done correctly, their last moments will be horrific and a memory you'll never forget. It's not like in the movies.

I couldn't imagine fucking that up, I would never forgive myself.

1 Like

Look for a horse vet. That's who I finally found to come put my boy down when nobody else would