Q&A: Sumo - ask T0ki...

Sumu and judu practitioners may disagree (20 points to whoever gets this reference). LOL!! Stickgrappler, think organized events.. hmmm, another guess, Rorion at UFC?thanks for info on "throws".

It' a comment made about manny yarborough

"remember folks, he's coming in with Sumu and Judu"

I forget the name of the guy who said it.

You are both correct. Wasn't Rorion. I think it was hair boy or Brian Kilmeade...

1) What sumo guy in Tekken?

2) Is that true about not being able to wipe their own butts?

3) Origin of the ring? Why a ring?

I have more...

Until about ten years ago, I kept pretty up-to-date on the general goings-on in Sumo. I subscribed to Sumo World magazine and caught the Bashos televised on Japanese television via satellite. Since then, unfortunately, I've not followed the sport, other than the odd televised event on ESPN.

It's been a real treat reading your posts, Toki. My interest in closely following Sumo again has been rekindled. Terao and Mainoumi were two of my favorite rikishi, because of their comparatively small size. I was surprised to learn that Takanohana has retired, especially since he is still relatively young. Was it because of injury? As I recall, he was always plagued by one injury after another. Is his brother Wakanohana still active?

I don't have any questions other than those few above. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer questions about Sumo on this forum. I, for one, am enjoying it immensely.

What makes a sumotori a "favorite" to the sumo aficionado?

Wow. I'm glad you guys enjoy this. Seems you have been out for a bit...let me catch you up. Get ready for this.... Wakanohana retired a few years ago. Takanohana retired for medical reasons. It was rumored that his liver had problems that contributed to him being oft-injured. For sumo fans, it is no secret that a lot party and drink quite heavily. Musashimaru quit and his dedication led to his promotion to Yokozuna.

Here's the current scene:

The two Yokozuna right now are Hawiian-born Musashimaru and Mongolian Asashoryu. Musashimaru is very dedicated lately and isn't doing the "win one basho, fail to make kachi-koshi the next" cycle like he did at Ozeki (Ozeki is the rank right below Yokozuna or Grand Champion). Asashoryu is typical, tricky Mongolian (with lots of unorthodox techniques like leg picks). The difference is that he is VERY strong along with good technique. He is at a hair over 6 feet at 303 lbs. But he is very strong and some have drawn comparisons to Chiyonfuji.

The problem? Neither are Japanese. Not to call the Japanese racists, but this is a national sport indigenous to the Japanese, and the top two guys are gaijin. That combined with the retirement of SEVERAL favorites (Takanohana, Wakanohana, Akebono, Terao, Mainoumi, etc.) are really hurting the popularity of the sport. Fans are sort of looking for the Great White Hope (or Great Japanese Hope??) to maybe revive the interest of sumo.

Kaio. Musoyama, Tochiazuma and Chiyotaikai are the other Ozekis. I see either Kaio or Chiyotaikai as possible Yokozuna in the future. Musoyama is 31 now. Don't know if he can pull it off. Tochiazuma just never can seem to pull it off...

Miyabiyama, who was supposed to be "the next big thing" isn't living up to the potential nor the hype. He's currently languishing down at Maegashira #9 and may be headed for Juryo (lower pro ranks) if he isn't careful. I think a good weight program and some sport-specific training would REALLY help him. Toki (who I'm named after) is at Maegashira #6 and has been doing well lately. Maybe he can get to Ozeki one day.

With the exception of Tamakasuga and Oginiskiki, there really isn't anyone of note down in Juryo. I expect both to retire if they can't get out of Juryo by the end of the year.

1) What sumo guy in Tekken?

There is a guy called Ganru in Tekken. He is a sumo wrestler.

2) Is that true about not being able to wipe their own butts?

I HEARD that big ol' Hawaiian Konishiki (who topped the scales at 604) had some issues, but I cannot confirm that.

3) Origin of the ring? Why a ring?

The ring is called a Doyho. The Doyho is named after the rice bales that make up its border. Sumo is roughly 1500 years old. I do not know how they arrived at a ring, but I will do some research and hopefully provide you with an answer. Great question, especially when a lot of Japanese martial arts follow the same format.

"What makes a sumotori a "favorite" to the sumo aficionado?"

Same as any athlete here, but with a few changes. The Japanes LOVE underdogs. So little Mainoumi was loved by nearly everyone (especially in a nation of not so tall folks). But his techniques made him a fan favorite nearly more than his height.

Most Yokozuna are revered just by the status of position. Takanohana, Chiyonofuji and Wakanohana were loved due to their dominance. I think Takanohana was liked by many traditionalists due to his skill in yotsu-zumo. Imagine him as the throwback, hard-nosed linebacker that could have played for a 1950's team. Maybe like a Brian Urlacher. Very skilled, but moreso fundamentally.

Guys like Terao and Musashimaru have very easy-going nature and for that reason are endeared by Japanese fans.

http://www.manji-clan.com/wtcl/characters/ganryu.htm

Oh! Ganryu is from Tekken 1 and 2!

Another question: I asked my kendo sensei if he ever did any other arts and he said when he was younger he played sumo. Then he explained "not sumo like you see on TV sumo" but a kind of "folk sumo" or sumo for regular folks.

Any idea what this is?

i'm guessing maybe it's not as ritualized/formalized as tv sumo. probably 2 guys getting together and trying to force the other out of the ring? and they are not huge just regular sized guys.

Stickgrappler is correct. THe only formally recognized sumo is the Nihon Sumo Association. There are leagues in USA and Eastern Europe (where it is suprisingly popular) but it is not sumo as we know it. Therefore I don't have any info on this.

By the way, you probably assumed by "kendo sensei" I meant a Japanese guy. If so, you assumed correct.

What do rikishi eat, and what is their daily regimen like?

I will answer in detail later when I get home...I'm up to my ass in meetings.

OK. Rikishi eat a lot of rice (of course) and a stew called Chankonabe. Chankonabe has thousands of different recipes. Fish ball, beef, chicken, veggie, etc... translation I believe is "pot stew". They eat a LOT as eating is considered part of the job.

Daily regimen? Depends on your ranking in the stable. Lower ranked guys wake up EARLY as fuck...do chores, prepare breakfast. Higher ranked guys sleep in later, come down and eat. Lower ranked guys can eat after the higher-ups are done. Then morning practice. Could be sparring, drills, strength and conditioning. Then lunch (same drill...lower makes, higher eats, then lower). Then it is nap time (to help the food stick). Then afternoon practice. Then dinner.

After that, they are free to go for the most part. Lower ranked guys must do chores or be the bitches to the higher ranked guys (carrying their umbrellas, their portable "trunks" they they carry stuff in, etc.). Working your way to the higher ranks carries lots of good aspects. Sleep in later, eat first, no chores, own room, etc... But everyone starts at the BOTTOM.

Rikishi are know to love to party, so if you're ever in the Ryogoku area, you will see some rikishi partying it up at the local discos.

Toki,wow!Thanks for all the info.Just name dropping,but,my wife is second cousin to Waka/Takanohana.They are not in contact,nor have they ever met,but my mother-in-law and there mother send each other Christmas cards.

Also,my friend from Mongolia is a former National FS Team mate of Asashoryu's bro,Sumya.The Dolgorsurengiin's parents are both Bohk wrestlers,btw.In their blood,eh?

Majic Sam, that's awesome. I would like to say I hope they're doing well, but looking at several advertisments and all with both featured, I think my words are not nessecary. Both had great careers and should both have a lot of fun outside of being rikishi.

Mongolians are very skilled wrestlers. I wonder how they do in amateur freestyle or greco..

Thanks for the info...that's awesome that you have them so close.

Asashoryu has a promising career ahead of him.He will add a whole new element to Sumo with his ankle picks,and all.I hope that Sumyabazar's match with TK at the upcoming Inoki event in May is a legit shoot.I have deep respect for Inoki-san,but you never can tell with him at the helm.

Mongolia's FS team is very strong for a country of 2.5 million.Greco is not as big a sport there as they generally they feel that FS already has it all.

Whats the deal with their weight? I understand that being big helps push people out, but it seems that someone with a more cut build, with the assoiciated speed would dominate.