Q. for Savate practitioners

Hey guys,

For those of you that practice Savate/Boxe-Francias, what video tape series would you recommend? Obviously videos can only supplement training, but what series that are out there are worth checking out anyway?

Thanks!

nakmuay:

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the tapes that are out there. It's like learning boxing or bjj from a tape: you went get the actual "feel" of the techniques unless you're being coached properly, and actually spar with someone who knows. That said....

I've only seen Salem's tapes, and I don't think they're an accurate representation of savate's current innovations. They were made in the 80's, if that gives you any idea. The tapes breakdown the techniques really well, but I'm not that keen on the applications shown in the video. Salem is a SOLID savateur and savate coach, but I think his tapes need some updating.

I know Nic Sagnaic and Dan Duby instructionals, but I haven't seen them, so can't really recommend. I've heard they're "basic", so that could be good or bad, depending on what you think you'll get out of it.

The BEST instructional I've seen was a vhs tape in french my savate instructor loaned me a few years ago. The savate shown there was very up to date, and savate champions were the ones demonstrating the techniques. Not sure where you can get them though. :(

Guy Chase made some tapes a few years ago. I haven't read any reviews though.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. No doubt about it, that
the tapes are only supplementary to actually training
Savate. I'm planning on checking out the D.Duby
series.

Now I just have to find a leotard........

Pe@ce.

nakmuay:

yes, it's really hard to get the proper feel just from watching tapes. It's like watching bjj on tape for the first time: easy to dismiss, and you don't get the proper pressure and feel from actually rolling with someone.

Getting kicked by an advanced savateur for the first time feels like the first time you ate a thai kick in the thigh. Really eye-opening. Good luck!

I don't think there are too many good series of instructionals from France. That might be because the whole system of teaching bf in french is so nationalized that coaches can't really profit from teaching outside of the gyms. Unlike boxing or jiu-jitsu, there seems to be a feeling that bf does not "belong" to the individual but to the federation. I'm not making a judgement on that system, just saying why there aren't things like tapes or individual coaches doing freelance seminars.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

I'm going to try to get my hands on some videos and
just get an idea for the art until I can find a
Savate/BF coach.

Many thanks.

Pe@ce.